Hornby Bulleid coaches?

paftrain

I'd have a 4 SUB and I dont even model third railSR.

Philly Billy

I have actually got a 4 SUB, but it's not finished yet. Murphy's Law says that when I do get my act together, a RTR model will be announced or released just afterwards! :D

Edit: the commercial one will also be better finished, have flush glazing and generally make mine look somewhat amateurish. However, I still want one .. or two ... or more. I won't enumerate all the multiples I have of EMUs from Bachmann and Hornby, but suffice it to say I will take more than one.

Edited by SRman

2nd post:

Going back to the idea of loco-hauled Bulleids, I wonder whether Hornby could use some of the tooling they already have for the Maunsell coaches to do the 59' multi-door Bulleids. The old Ian Kirk kits did that with all of the components bar the sides, which were still incorrectly done to the Maunsell profile. I have been seriously considering building my last one of three using Comet sides, and, if successful, converting the two earlier ones I built to the Comet sides.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 2

2nd post:

Going back to the idea of loco-hauled Bulleids, I wonder whether Hornby could use some of the tooling they already have for the Maunsell coaches to do the 59' multi-door Bulleids. The old Ian Kirk kits did that with all of the components bar the sides, which were still incorrectly done to the Maunsell profile. I have been seriously considering building my last one of three using Comet sides, and, if successful, converting the two earlier ones I built to the Comet sides.

Yes I'm sure they could - see post #86.

Chris Knowles-Thomas

Yes I'm sure they could - see post #86.

Chris Knowles-Thomas

Sorry Chris, I had forgotten that. I even tagged it as "Informative/Useful" before. 

Where's that red-face emogee gone?? :)

Also post # 15.

• RMweb Premium

I'd have a 4 SUB and I dont even model third railSR.

Philly Billy

I would too, but on the other hand loco hauled multi door Bulleids wouldn't interest me.

It's quite amazing we have gone 5 pages discussing a product Hornby don't produce. Maybe they will take that as a sign of how well these would be received

Let's hope, but then again what have we been asking for? Putting aside new versions of the deep ventilator window coaches currently produced by Bachmann, we've mentioned equivalent shallow ventilator stock as 3--4 car sets, loose BCKs, tavern/restaurant cars and the multi door stock. I suppose it wouldn't matter where Hornby started as long as they did them all in the end.

Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Gold

We might want Bullied stock, but if it arrived at a £60 price tag, how many of us would be making two or three 6-8 coach rakes in different liveries at around £2000 ?

Bachmann maybe old, but I bought 4 for £30, and two packets of flush glaze did the lot for another £6, I haven't paid more than £15 for any of mine, most around £10, meaning I can achieve the 3x 6-8 coach rakes for around £200..

if Hornby did do them, it doubt would change the 2nd high price upwards, the markets swamped with them, which will drag the high end price down.

Edited by adb968008

We might want Bullied stock, but if it arrived at a £60 price tag, how many of us would be making two or three 6-8 coach rakes in different liveries at around £2000 ?

Bachmann maybe old, but I bought 4 for £30, and two packets of flush glaze did the lot for another £6, I haven't paid more than £15 for any of mine, most around £10, meaning I can achieve the 3x 6-8 coach rakes for around £200..

if Hornby did do them, it doubt would change the 2nd high price upwards, the markets swamped with them, which will drag the high end price down.

I suspect £50-60 is going to be the per carriage price from now on sadly. If the Birdcages sell well enough, why wouldn't Hornby or others set their carriages at a similar prices as the market has proven it can cope with the price.

Personally whilst I'd like a nice rake of Bulleid's to a high standards (and Birdcages for that matter too), they're out of my price range really at £50-60/coach, so I might buy one or two and add a 3rd later, or just make them from Comet sides.

• Like 1

Without going back through the whole of the topic, someone earlier suggested that if Hornby mould the window ventilators as part of the glazing, they could do both shallow and deep vent stock. That would be an excellent idea and give a lot more versatility to the range. It would also be a lot easier to accomplish in the factory than having separate lines for the separate body shells of the high or low window Maunsells.

There are a myriad minor variations between batches of Bulleids with ostensibly the same body and seating arrangements, though; things like step lengths, single or separate steps on brake coaches, short or long roof tanks (mentioned earlier), one or two gutter strips, and so on. All of those should be achievable relatively easily, though, but the potential is there for lots of wrong combinations ... not that that would worry me too much, but some people are more concerned than others for absolute accuracy. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Anything north of £40 for a coach is a non starter for me.  I am happy to wait for a second or third batch to be produced which seems to be when the supply/demand saturation point is reached and the discounts start.

• RMweb Premium

Without going back through the whole of the topic, someone earlier suggested that if Hornby mould the window ventilators as part of the glazing, they could do both shallow and deep vent stock. That would be an excellent idea and give a lot more versatility to the range. It would also be a lot easier to accomplish in the factory than having separate lines for the separate body shells of the high or low window Maunsells.

There are a myriad minor variations between batches of Bulleids with ostensibly the same body and seating arrangements, though; things like step lengths, single or separate steps on brake coaches, short or long roof tanks (mentioned earlier), one or two gutter strips, and so on. All of those should be achievable relatively easily, though, but the potential is there for lots of wrong combinations ... not that that would worry me too much, but some people are more concerned than others for absolute accuracy. 

.....and don't forget the 'reinforcing' ,strips applied later in their lives.

Yes, I too think the vents on the glazing idea is a cracker.

Philopastry

• Like 2

.....and don't forget the 'reinforcing' ,strips applied later in their lives.

Yes, I too think the vents on the glazing idea is a cracker.

Philopastry

Were not Kit Master MK 1's designed this way?

• RMweb Premium

The biggest problem I can see from trying to put vents on glazing (which had been done quite a lot on models of non-Bulleid prototypes) is that sometimes the frame outside of the vents is on the body rather than the window, as in some of the pictures on this semg page: http://www.semgonline.com/coach/bullco03.html

I think that such an arrangement might not be that easy to do with a single window moulding (at least not accurately).

Edited by Ian J.

The biggest problem I can see from trying to put vents on glazing (which had been done quite a lot on models of non-Bulleid prototypes) is that sometimes the frame outside of the vents is on the body rather than the window, as in some of the pictures on this semg page: http://www.semgonline.com/coach/bullco03.html

I think that such an arrangement might not be that easy to do with a single window moulding (at least not accurately).

This only applies to contractor built sets, as illustrated in your link, not the SR/BR(S) types. 

The Birmingham RC&W coaches were quite different in this respect.

• RMweb Premium

I don't have access to my Mike King books, but I thought the vent frames on most Bulleids were on the side and on over the windows, regardless of builder?

Edited by Ian J.

• RMweb Premium

So we're talking the difference between this: S5761S (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53423-farish-announce-bulleid-coaches-in-n/page-5&do=findComment&comment=1316437) and this: 4279 http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/4279.html ), and this: 1482 ( http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/1482.html )?

I've tried to find sufficiently clear images but surprisingly most are a bit on the small and distant size to make out the window frame differences.

Edit: are we only allowed one actual hyperlink per post??

Edited by Ian J.