The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Interesting piece of kit

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Post #3 rather gives it away doesn't it?

It is a piece of your fiddle yard, possibly a type of sector plate.

You are Lobby Lud and I claim the News Chronicle prize.  :onthequiet:

Yup I thought it would be good for exactly that purpose! SWMBO has other ideas however so railway usage on pain of death - MR SM knows us only too well, very warm...

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

OK time to fess up

SWMBO loves her fabric work - so many guesses were warm

post-7138-0-63240800-1475344656_thumb.jpg

Its a quilting machine - I am told the rolls Royce of the breed is a long arm, this isn't quite that but more a way of using a large domestic sewing machine on an X-Y axis table over a wide bed. Has some canny attachments such as sensors to detect speed of movement of the table to keep stitch length constant - seems to have much in common with sophisticated model railway equipment...

Came flat packed, took about 5 hours to assemble including all the electronics...I had to get it done before I disappeared for a weeks fishing last week!

So needless to say SWMBO was busy while I was away - heres an example of the output...

post-7138-0-62743500-1475344648_thumb.jpg

Mind you I had a frantic phone call on the second day of my fishing week, the table had derailed....!!! But breakdown crew soon had it sorted.

Apparently all such machines have to have a name.... this has rapidly acquired "Big Bertha"!

Phil

• RMweb Gold

OK time to fess up

SWMBO loves her fabric work - so many guesses were warm

attachicon.gifDSC00886.JPG

Its a quilting machine - I am told the rolls Royce of the breed is a long arm, this isn't quite that but more a way of using a large domestic sewing machine on an X-Y axis table over a wide bed. Has some canny attachments such as sensors to detect speed of movement of the table to keep stitch length constant - seems to have much in common with sophisticated model railway equipment...

Came flat packed, took about 5 hours to assemble including all the electronics...I had to get it done before I disappeared for a weeks fishing last week!

So needless to say SWMBO was busy while I was away - heres an example of the output...

attachicon.gifDSC00885.JPG

Mind you I had a frantic phone call on the second day of my fishing week, the table had derailed....!!! But breakdown crew soon had it sorted.

Apparently all such machines have to have a name.... this has rapidly acquired "Big Bertha"!

Phil

Crikey Phil - she's now got a machine to do it for her - will this mechanisation catch on? 

Archived