Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby announce the ex SECR / SR / BR(s) Wainwright H Class 0-4-4 tank as part of their 2017 range

Graham_Muz

Looking at my H today, I was wondering how hard it would be to get an SECR R 0-6-0T out of it.

My conclusion is, it doesn’t look that hard, if I removed then shortened the bunker (which is a separate piece), modified the tanks (which is also a separate piece), added some elements to the front wheel splashes, and cut the frame, where their is a mould Line, add some screws, where there are some screw indentations in the body, I could then swap for an 0-6-0 chassis..

Is it really that simple, and looking underneath it, it kinds of feels there’s a “cut along the dotted line” feel to doing it ?

An O1 doesn’t look hard either.

Interesting where did the 0-6-0 chassis come from?

Looks to be a Terrier at a guess which is far too small for an R1.

Be careful of the sandboxes. The R1 sandboxes are mostly above the running plate stuck to the side of the smokebox. The O1 class to have a mix of both depending on which loco.

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Gold

If there are sudden changes of gradient causing derailing, then frankly it is the sudden change, not the loco causing the problem.

I agree, which is why I am doing something about it.

The H is in every way very nice running, and powerful on the flat, but load and gradient can reduce the haulage far more than the 0-4-4T type.

Yup.

Judging by the cab and tender between which it's sandwiched, it's a 4F ............... ( wheels about the right size but wheelbase too long ! )

J15 is closer in wheel base dimensions. I am an O1 from that with Golden Arrows resin kit. (I have a thread on that elsewhere but no update since a while as I found I needed to source lots of other bits to complement it).

I have heard my H is now on the way to me. Must admit I feel a bit green with someone chopping one of these precious items apart before I even have one!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I posed it with an Airfix 4f 0-6-0 chassis, as that’s just what was to hand (and the wheelsize is the same).

Not sure what i’d use for a real conversion yet, got a Z to finish first, and an L& Y Baltic, oh and a Q, and there’s a PKP Ty2 lurking, a motor for a HO class 81, I’ve a liliput 81 needing a motor, and a Scot to swap it’s split axles and in my spare time a Bury Class 504.

That’s before my wife finds me to do trivial stuff.

But the intention is there, now I’ve seen it can be done :-)

I’ve got a spare 02 0-4-4T (I have 3) and thinking whether to put an 0-6-0 chassis under that too.

(I do get occasionally get stuff done though.. finished two L&Y aspinall 0-6-0st, an LNWR cauliflower and an L&Y A Class recently)

Edited by adb968008

Got mine yesterday. Looks lovely, runs perfectly. Still a satisfied customer.

But it does occur to me that I've never actually had a duff loco from anyone.

Hear hear!

In the hundreds of 00 RTR engines I have bought over the years I've had two duff ones and they were both Bachmann, B1 and D11..  I've had a few with minor faults, bits off, windows out of cab, smoke darts off, ski-jump running plates,  the last known before purchase and accordingly cheap. 

I'm waiting for my H class and two Duchesses here in NZ but if they are faulty it will just be a return and refund,and I'm not expecting trouble.

Cheers

Looking at my H today, I was wondering how hard it would be to get an SECR R 0-6-0T out of it.

My conclusion is, it doesn’t look that hard, if I removed then shortened the bunker (which is a separate piece), modified the tanks (which is also a separate piece), added some elements to the front wheel splashes, and cut the frame, where their is a mould Line, add some screws, where there are some screw indentations in the body, I could then swap for an 0-6-0 chassis..

Is it really that simple, and looking underneath it, it kinds of feels there’s a “cut along the dotted line” feel to doing it ?

An O1 doesn’t look hard either.

It would be an R1 0-6-0 if you did it, as (IIRC) they got H-pattern boilers: the unmodified Rs had the domeless Stirling boilers that were pitched much lower.

I'd love to see how you could do it without having to repaint and reline. Myself, if I had to re-do the livery I'd start with the SEF kit instead of chopping up the Hornby.

• RMweb Gold

It would be an R1 0-6-0 if you did it, as (IIRC) they got H-pattern boilers: the unmodified Rs had the domeless Stirling boilers that were pitched much lower.

I'd love to see how you could do it without having to repaint and reline. Myself, if I had to re-do the livery I'd start with the SEF kit instead of chopping up the Hornby.

I’m thinking i’ll Use a black one, rather than the SECR one, then paint it unlined black when finished. R1’s aren’t as glamorous, but one in preservation would have been very nice, maybe one day the Bluebell might turn that spare R1 boiler they have (3 boilers, 2 locos) into something more, until then it’ll be a bit of modelling.

I’ve got a while before I start this one so i’ll be doing a bit more research first.

Edited by adb968008

R1’s aren’t as glamorous, but one in preservation would have been very nice, maybe one day the Bluebell might turn that spare R1 boiler they have (3 boilers, 2 locos) into something more, until then it’ll be a bit of modelling.

Don't quote me on this but I don't think the 3rd boiler is bluebell owned. I think the O1 is privately owned and had the owners boiler on during its last ticket. Bluebell overhauled their spare off site so the loco could be displayed longer and wouldn't take up works space.

Would be nice to use it on something else but you would have endless arguments about what to build

• RMweb Premium

R1’s aren’t as glamorous, but one in preservation would have been very nice, maybe one day the Bluebell might turn that spare R1 boiler they have (3 boilers, 2 locos) into something more, until then it’ll be a bit of modelling.

Don't quote me on this but I don't think the 3rd boiler is bluebell owned. I think the O1 is privately owned and had the owners boiler on during its last ticket. Bluebell overhauled their spare off site so the loco could be displayed longer and wouldn't take up works space.

Would be nice to use it on something else but you would have endless arguments about what to build

The former owner of the O1 (who saved it from being scraped by dismantling and hiding it for over 2 decades) died a month or two ago.

Fortunately before this event occurred he made arrangements for his railway related assetsto be looked after in the years to come and as a result I believe the O1 is now in the ownership of the Bluebell Railway Trust (a separate entity from the PLC that run the railway)

The former owner of the O1 (who saved it from being scraped by dismantling and hiding it for over 2 decades) died a month or two ago.

Fortunately before this event occurred he made arrangements for his railway related assetsto be looked after in the years to come and as a result I believe the O1 is now in the ownership of the Bluebell Railway Trust (a separate entity from the PLC that run the railway)

Didnt realise that he had passed away. At least its future is secure with the trust

• RMweb Gold

Hear hear!

In the hundreds of 00 RTR engines I have bought over the years I've had two duff ones and they were both Bachmann, B1 and D11..  I've had a few with minor faults, bits off, windows out of cab, smoke darts off, ski-jump running plates,  the last known before purchase and accordingly cheap. 

I'm waiting for my H class and two Duchesses here in NZ but if they are faulty it will just be a return and refund,and I'm not expecting trouble.

Cheers

Setting aside the issues of QC and supply for a moment,it seems appropriate at this juncture to pause and thank Hornby's highly talented R&D team for 3 outstanding new releases.They have succeeded in presenting us with models which only a few years ago were beyond our wildest dreams....6231 H Dublo c.1950 to 6231 2017 Hornby ....no contest..Please take a bow,ladies and gents.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
  • Like 2

At the Godlingston trials at Swanage I tested my H class against my Bachmann C class and my Wrenn R1. Both the C class and the R1 started at 30% power on my Gaugemaster controller but the H class needed 50%

I tried running the three locomotives on the same track. The R1 was faster than the C class and the C class was faster than the H class. The H class stalled at the far side of the layout. I found that the R1 and the C class were more responsive to the controls.

No problems with derailing or overheating with any of the locomotives. The three locomotives would be ideal for a small layout.

post-17621-0-47018300-1509822144_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-75585400-1509822190_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-80050100-1509822255_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Continuing the Godlingston trials I weighed the locomotives. C 255 grammes, R1 196 grammes, H 169 grammes.

Then I tested the engines with a rake of six Hornby Pullmans. Both the C and the R1 easily hauled the rake but it was too much for the Hornby H class. The H class managed five Pullmans but I ran it with four so as not to put too much of a strain on the engine. I am not sure that it is an authentic train as the Pullmans may have been in maroon livery in SE & CR days but it looked good with the illuminated table lamps. I think the SE&CR livery is the most attractive of the pre-grouping Southern liveries.

post-17621-0-48838500-1509869641_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-87869100-1509869687_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Continuing the Godlingston trials I weighed the locomotives. C 255 grammes, R1 196 grammes, H 169 grammes.

Then I tested the engines with a rake of six Hornby Pullmans. Both the C and the R1 easily hauled the rake but it was too much for the Hornby H class. The H class managed five Pullmans but I ran it with four so as not to put too much of a strain on the engine. I am not sure that it is an authentic train as the Pullmans may have been in maroon livery in SE & CR days but it looked good with the illuminated table lamps. I think the SE&CR livery is the most attractive of the pre-grouping Southern liveries.

I travelled behind a lot of H class locos (spotted your Baltic Saw Mills and FW Butcher wagons - that's where) and they never had six on either. And certainly not Pullmans :)

QC

Doesn't make me wonder, it make me think that I cannot be the only who has issue with QC and Hornby or other manufacturers for that matter. It annoys me more that these issues are present for the simple reason I only purchase normally two loco's a year One for birthday and one for Christmas so when these are faulty I get a little annoyed. Currently my entire fleet consist of twelve loco's and that's it and so each time a faulty one comes through I do get annoyed but very rarely voice my annoyance. But after this latest issue with two of Hornby's new H Class i'm more than annoyed i'm pretty pi**ed off which I feel is my right as the consumer who has paid for items that are not fit for purpose. The fact that someone else has been more fortunate with the models they have purchased is of little comfort to me or to anyone else for that matter who has a model with QC issues!

You Tw&t

Charming. Can't handle the truth so has to be abusive.

I also could get personal but I can't be bothered sinking down to that level.

So all your models are damaged? Then get in touch with your retailer or manufacturer for one of the REs. Replacement, Repair or Refund. Simple.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Mmmmmmm.....

attachicon.gifSECR locos.jpg

Alex

Just awaiting the Birdcages.......potentially one of the most attractive combinations to run in rtr form. The H runs beautifully btw but is intolerant of anything less than an unimpeded current flow to the track.Given that,it 's happy to crawl silently on DC at position 3 on my Gaugemaster on my outer track.This is one very lovely piece of kit...no smoke,no traumas as yet.Utterly convincing....a thing to brighten up your gloomy winter evenings.

• Like 3

Now run in and perfect operation all round, only gripe is the whistle, now replaced with polished brass. Some figures from Monty or Modelux now required. Lets hope the SECR liveried Birdcage coaches turn up before Christmas.

Stephen .

• Like 3

Just awaiting the Birdcages.......potentially one of the most attractive combinations to run in rtr form. The H runs beautifully btw but is intolerant of anything less than an unimpeded current flow to the track.Given that,it 's happy to crawl silently on DC at position 3 on my Gaugemaster on my outer track.This is one very lovely piece of kit...no smoke,no traumas as yet.Utterly convincing....a thing to brighten up your gloomy winter evenings.

May be worth checking all the pickups are tensioned against the wheels, it is full 8 wheeled pick up and maybe attempting to run on one or two. I re-tensioned mine as a matter of course before running in.

Stephen