Hornby announce the ex SECR / SR / BR(s) Wainwright H Class 0-4-4 tank as part of their 2017 range

Graham_Muz

That would be so well received. Surely there's an 0-6-0 chassis that would fit properly, and I think they already have the 6 wheeled tender? (available on one of the KA's?). That being said - with the popularity of the Bachmann C and The H in their pre-grouping liveries, someone might take the hint and look at options for other 4-4-0's, E's D's etc...  :sungum:

But back on topic, i'm really hoping that one of the retailers has some extra stock of the Olive green H class as hattons seemed to with the SECR version. And even though it stayed in that livery until later on, I need one, to repaint black  :angel:

Of existing rtr 0-6-0s the MR/LMS 3F/4F and the C class have the same wheelbase, ie 8ft + 8ft 6in.

Chris KT

• RMweb Gold

But back on topic, i'm really hoping that one of the retailers has some extra stock of the Olive green H class as hattons seemed to with the SECR version. And even though it stayed in that livery until later on, I need one, to repaint black  :angel:

Rails have the SR green version available for pre-order: https://railsofsheffield.com/wainwright-h-class-0-4-4t-sr-locomotive-1324-2017-range--JJJA32292

cheers,

Keith

Hornby may have caught on to a great way of making model liveries more prototypical there - paint the real thing the same as the model ;) ;)

But ! Have they reguaged it to four foot one inch to match the model as well !

Of existing rtr 0-6-0s the MR/LMS 3F/4F and the C class have the same wheelbase, ie 8ft + 8ft 6in.

Chris KT

Branchlines produce a good chassis with correct wheel spacings as well as alternative wheel splashers to correct the leading axle position on the Hornby Dublo / Wrenn R1 body. The 'power bulge' on the firebox was to accommodate the old H/D motor.

Iain Rice's book ISBN 1-871608-54-4 from 1994 shows the Wrenn body conversion.

Dave S 

Branchlines produce a good chassis with correct wheel spacings as well as alternative wheel splashers to correct the leading axle position on the Hornby Dublo / Wrenn R1 body. The 'power bulge' on the firebox was to accommodate the old H/D motor.

Iain Rice's book ISBN 1-871608-54-4 from 1994 shows the Wrenn body conversion.

Dave S 

er ........ wires / topics crossed here ? .... the Branchlines O1 / R1 chassis kit has the correct wheelbase for an O1 or R1 ( or O or R ! ) .......... but that's not 8' + 8'6 as you imply.

According to Rails of Sheffield, my order for a BR black H class and Push/Pull set will be delivered in January, just in case anyone else is waiting. Just as well, in my case as we're off Down Under in a day or two for a month!  Talking of the R1, I bought a very nicely weathered one on EB recently, for not a lot of money.  Not a bad little engine for my chosen era, runs reasonably well. I do like tankies!

• RMweb Premium

According to Rails of Sheffield, my order for a BR black H class and Push/Pull set will be delivered in January, just in case anyone else is waiting. Just as well, in my case as we're off Down Under in a day or two for a month!  Talking of the R1, I bought a very nicely weathered one on EB recently, for not a lot of money.  Not a bad little engine for my chosen era, runs reasonably well. I do like tankies!

Now we know why your old time Short Circuit write ups are having a month off!

The December Hornby Magazine contains a review of the BR late crest H class, reality check on the prototype and a picture of H class 31306 near Tonbridge in the push-pull article. Should it be pull-push?

There seems to be some variation in how the samples run as the model in the review was silky smooth and quiet whereas my model seems to need a lot of power and there is a tendency to stall.

I liked the see though picture revealing the motor. I had not noticed that the coal load was removable.

The bar code for the magazine was wrong. W.H. Smith charged me £2 for the magazine. When I queried this the assistant said "that is what the till says so that is what I am going to have to charge.

post-17621-0-80018900-1510250615_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I guess I was lucky.

I picked up the last one at my local store for £93.00 yesterday. Indeed, I think the shop didn’t realise they had any left, but I spied the box atop some other small Hornby locos!

Out of the box my example is perfect, and in light of concerns over finish and running I tested it this afternoon. With an old Duette and rolling road, after bogie pick ups were adjusted, it ran fine, including excellent slow speed running. The model is a nice weight as well, and whilst I haven’t run it on the layout, I can believe it would pull 6 coaches or more.

I would echo praise for the finish, and my example is assembled far better than the Hornby Adams radial I had which went back with wonky running plate (which fouled the connecting rods), and loose detail.

My personal view is that plated plastic chrome or gilt does not scale well, and I prefer the painted dome on the Bachmann SECR C-class, but this is a minor gripe over what is a belter of a model.

post-6761-0-41888800-1510340991_thumb.jpeg

Will be DCC converted in due course.

Neal

• Like 7

I.

My personal view is that plated plastic chrome or gilt does not scale well, and I prefer the painted dome on the Bachmann SECR C-class, but this is a minor gripe over what is a belter of a model.

[i

The real domes were really shiney leading to complaints from drivers about sun in their eyes. One reason they were painted green later in the simplified Wainwright livery. I prefer this shiney H class dome over the dull gold paint Bachmann used on the C as this looks more like the prototype to me (though I respect your preference).

In an odd way Hornby have lots of experience with shiney domes, who remembers Nellie?

The real domes were really shiney leading to complaints from drivers about sun in their eyes. One reason they were painted green later in the simplified Wainwright livery. I prefer this shiney H class dome over the dull gold paint Bachmann used on the C as this looks more like the prototype to me (though I respect your preference).

In an odd way Hornby have lots of experience with shiney domes, who remembers Nellie?

I remember Mandy Miller. Didn't she sing about Nellie?

My H is still happily pulling 8 coaches round my layout and runs remarkably well on a Duette.

Edited by roythebus

Guest Midland Mole

Looking at my C Class and my H Class, I'm finding it hard to decide which dome I prefer to be honest. I really like the Hornby one, but I feel it does stand out more on the model than the dome on he real engine.

I agree with neal that sometimes the effect does not scale as well, but it is still a beautiful thing. As I said though, I like both fairly equally. :)

Alex

• Like 1

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but in the Hornby Collector Club (as they term it!) for the Spalding Exhibition, there was a 'black image' of the club model, which is apparently to be 'unveiled' at Warley.

Before anyone gets too excited it appears to be yet another variant of the H class tank loco, perhaps it will be painted in Wartime Dazzle camouflage.............. l don't think there are many variants they haven't done. 

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but in the Hornby Collector Club (as they term it!) for the Spalding Exhibition, there was a 'black image' of the club model, which is apparently to be 'unveiled' at Warley.

Before anyone gets too excited it appears to be yet another variant of the H class tank loco, perhaps it will be painted in Wartime Dazzle camouflage.............. l don't think there are many variants they haven't done. 

I wouldn't call Bulleid's 'Sunshine' lettering 'Dazzle camouflage' ........... bright 'n' cheerful in times of austerity, yes  -  but not exactly dazzling !

I would assume one would appear in wartime black eventually =) I recall reading on here that the Southern liveried one they're producing stayed green through the war, clever choice.

Edit: It'll be nice to add a little colour to the layout, I think about 12 of the 15 locos on the layout are black, just a Merchant Navy and a pair of E4s in green although B473 needs bringing forward a decade

Edited by GreenGiraffe22

• RMweb Premium

Sorry if this has been answered before.

My loco appears to have a tight spot. I have only run it for an hour or so 'down the club'.

I will run it in for longer but has anyone else had this problem before I take it apart to have a look at it, or is it duff and needs to go back.

First loco I have had in a long time that hasn't run smoothly from the box.

Thanks in advance

Owen

• Like 1

With the 12":1ft version of 263 going to Warley and being on the same stand as bluebell/Hornby I cant see it being any other livery

I'll be a bit fed up if they do that as I would have liked 263 but there's not much I can do about it. I didn't want to join the club as it is not of much use to me. I thought it best to pre-order 308 as I suspected it would sell out.