Hornby announce the ex SECR / SR / BR(s) Wainwright H Class 0-4-4 tank as part of their 2017 range

Graham_Muz

After 8 months of expectation, I am now the proud owner of a R3539 from Rails, still awaiting Hornby to produce an example without push-pull and an early BR crest.

I still have to finish my SEF kit, once painted I will see how they compare.

What DCC chips are people fitting, anybody tried a 8-pin direct plug?

Edit:Just had a look at the BR Database and it appears from their listings that 31518 was never fitted with Auto-gear, anybody got any other information sources to corroborate this?

Hello

There is plenty of photographic and video evidence around to confirm that 31518 was push-pull fitted, it was one of the last of the class to be withdrawn after working push-pull services in the Three Bridges, Tunbridge Wells West and East Grinstead areas. I would suggest that it is either a mistake or omission on the BR Database website. It always pays to check/corroborate information on the web with other published sources and photographs!!

Cheers

Andy.

Hello

There is plenty of photographic and video evidence around to confirm that 31518 was push-pull fitted, it was one of the last of the class to be withdrawn after working push-pull services in the Three Bridges, Tunbridge Wells West and East Grinstead areas. I would suggest that it is either a mistake or omission on the BR Database website. It always pays to check/corroborate information on the web with other published sources and photographs!!

Cheers

Andy.

Thanks, As you have suggested I have had a look about and found confirmation on RailUK website and some photos.

After 8 months of expectation, I am now the proud owner of a R3539 from Rails, still awaiting Hornby to produce an example without push-pull and an early BR crest.

I still have to finish my SEF kit, once painted I will see how they compare.

What DCC chips are people fitting, anybody tried a 8-pin direct plug?

Edit:Just had a look at the BR Database and it appears from their listings that 31518 was never fitted with Auto-gear, anybody got any other information sources to corroborate this?

I used a Soundtraxx MC1Z102SQ "mini" with wire harness (Shortened), soldered to an 8 pin plug. The tiny decoder easily fits into the space in the side tanks.

The Soundtraxx decoders can give very good running, but sometimes need a bit of tweaking to set the motor parameters. For some reason, they do not have the ability to set maximum speed by means of a CV, so you have to use another trick such as:

Custom speed table.

Preselected speed table with forward and reverse trim.

Tweaking the back EMF reference voltage.

Luckily, the H runs just fine with the factory settings.

(That is once I worked out why there was a burning smell and smoke coming from the motor...No sign of damage to the coils. removing the brushes, cleaning them and the commutator solved the problem. Oil on the commutator)

P.S. The 6 pin direct version works well in the DJM locos too.

I decided to buy the late crest version of the H class at the last minute so I probably had to pay the full recommended  retail price. Not much less than the H class and Maunsell pull-push set. I spent my childhood in Orpington and the H class hauled trains in the nearby Westerham branch so it has sentimental appeal. I like the history of the locomotive on the box.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

My black H class ran very well on running in. At the Godlingston trials it started at 30% power and ran smoothly in both directions at 60% power on my Gaugemaster controller. There were no problems on the points including a double slip. It squeaked a little in reverse.

The performance of my black H class was much better than the performance of my SE&CR railway H class so it looks like my pre-grouping H class was a dudd. Perhaps Hornby have ironed out the faults in the first batch.

Only criticism is that I will have to detach the couplings to get it back in the box.

post-17621-0-49193000-1512917103_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-81499200-1512917149_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Very surprised that there are no head code disks in the parts bag.  Even the Q1 had them all be it the rather naff mini dinner plate type.  Fortunately I have managed to source a couple from my O2 for the moment.

Very surprised that there are no head code disks in the parts bag.  Even the Q1 had them all be it the rather naff mini dinner plate type.  Fortunately I have managed to source a couple from my O2 for the moment.

I brought some packs of Roxy etched ones with which to detail up (or ruin a collectors item - depending on your point of view) my H class.

Agree though that both Bachmann and DJM have provided very fine plastic ones on their locos in recent years, and I was seriously surprised Hornby still supplied their grossly thick mini trolly wheels that they call headcode discs with their super detailed Q1. Mind you I guess they have received plenty of feedback on how this part is now obsolete, so hopefully we may see something finer in the future.

Very surprised that there are no head code disks in the parts bag. Even the Q1 had them all be it the rather naff mini dinner plate type. Fortunately I have managed to source a couple from my O2 for the moment.

Maybe as a suggestion a paper hole punch thick card or thin styrene may do ?

Edited by Shroomy

Maybe as a suggestion a paper hole punch thick card or thin styrene may do ?

I think you will find a Paper Hole punch makes discs too large.

I use one of these

https://www.therange.co.uk/hobbies-crafts/stationery/home-office-essentials/hole-punches/xcut-screw-hole-punch#685993

Comes with cutters for 2,3,4mm holes and i punch the discs out of 10thou plastikad.

• RMweb Premium

Now renumbered 31162, crew in the cab, decent coal load in the bunker (I thought the moulded load which kept falling out was a bit naff to be honest!), head code disks from the Kernow O2 as Hornby sadly didn't supply any (and I have run out of the ones that come with the Bachmann E4) and OHLE symbols removed.  There is a bit of a nick to the splasher lining but sufficiently small enough that I don't notice it (the camera has shown the marks up a lot more than is visible with the naked eye though).

post-6910-0-55276200-1513005746_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-51515200-1513005753_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Now renumbered 31162, crew in the cab, decent coal load in the bunker (I thought the moulded load which kept falling out was a bit naff to be honest!), head code disks from the Kernow O2 as Hornby sadly didn't supply any (and I have run out of the ones that come with the Bachmann E4) and OHLE symbols removed. There is a bit of a nick to the splasher lining but sufficiently small enough that I don't notice it (the camera has shown the marks up a lot more than is visible with the naked eye though).

attachicon.gif31162a.jpg

attachicon.gif31162b.jpg

For a minute there, I thought that was 31182.

31182 ran without BR logos for a period, as I just noticed it in my dads 1951 abc, 1 disc with 351 written inside the disc.

Edited by adb968008

My first conversation, with my now wife, was about the cost of using the toilet at Poznan station in Poland.

:-)

Surely you didn't actually marry that snaggle-toothed bearded ogre that always tried to charge another ten zloty when you went to escape from the place - even though you'd paid that on the way in !!?! ( Ten zloty - Absolute Rip-Off )........................ maybe not her - you said 'conversation' rather than 'argument' !

Tried that once too, the metal handle bent instead of punching a hole!

My first conversation, with my now wife, was about the cost of using the toilet at Poznan station in Poland.

:-)

When I met mine 20 years ago, seeing she was from the continent, I tried to chat her up in Italian. She is French and replied back in perfect English to which I replied in Italian.

She wrote a poem many years later about that encounter which translated was something like  "...surprised, interrogated, terrified....". Today it is me that is "surprise, interrogated, terrified" if a parcel should suddenly arrive at the door.

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Premium

post-1328-0-48222500-1513170920_thumb.jpg

Should be in every modeller's tool kit.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Or even better and far more useful for modelling, a set of these ;)

post-1328-0-16198000-1513171014.jpg

click pic for a link to the eBay

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Surely you didn't actually marry that snaggle-toothed bearded ogre that always tried to charge another ten zloty when you went to escape from the place - even though you'd paid that on the way in !!?! ( Ten zloty - Absolute Rip-Off )........................ maybe not her - you said 'conversation' rather than 'argument' !

I once, c. 1993, handed over a 100,000 zl note by mistake for a 1,000 zl note - both were blue. It was returned to me on my way out! IIRC at the time 100,000 was about £4; this was before they crossed off four zeros to give rough parity with the then value of the DM.

• RMweb Gold

That extra 10zl would be for the paper :-)

No way, actually the conversation went something along the lines of, “yes they all speak English now, they replaced the old woman with a new one”...

old being the aforementioned Russian eating speaking ogre, new being a 20 something English speaking blonde, whom I was told to keep my eyes off, and firmly on the ol49 instead.. how can I not marry a woman telling me to watch trains ?, a while later I walked her from Goathland to Grosmont in the pouring rain to look at another bird...60019 Bittern, she’s passed that test too.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I once, c. 1993, handed over a 100,000 zl note by mistake for a 1,000 zl note - both were blue. It was returned to me on my way out! IIRC at the time 100,000 was about £4; this was before they crossed off four zeros to give rough parity with the then value of the DM.

100,000zl today would buy you a real steam loco, wasn’t much more than that then either.

• RMweb Gold

The (late) first wife had already, at the age of 17, been taken by a previous boyfriend from W Sussex to Barry Island for the day (1972) so was clearly not rail-averse. She joined the industry, and became one of the very youngest women - there weren't many anyway - in the BRB Executive Group at age 32. Her husband was 41 when I managed to get into that Group. 

The present one - we knew each other slightly at skool in the early '60s - was more than content to spend a whole day on the Harzquerbahn, after other metre gauge steam rides the previous two days. And this was what we laughingly called a honeymoon, only two years after the wedding!

It don't half help!