Ex-GWR Mica meat vans

Spot on - I'd forgotten about those - http://www.davidgeen.co.uk/catalogue/gwr.htm 3 different varieties

Thanks for your posts Kenton, I checked the David Geen lists via the link you left and the mica-b van looks just like the Wrenn wagon I sold! There you go! The Kit will be a nice one to bash though. Which reminds me...must finish off the Airfix Kitbuilt ESSO tank renovations...all 27 of them in various stages of fracture and breakages, missing decals etc.,...need I say more?

As for the bible...that may take some effort to track down...but if it's anything like my copy of Fly Fishing By J.R. Hartley, it'll take a while, but I'll get there in the end.

cheers..jules

Thanks for your posts Kenton,

and thank Pennine MC - he reminded me I had forgotten about David Geen up to then.

David Geen could do with posting photos of the other two Meat vans as they are also both MICA.

The X2 diag is a mess (not neccessarily the model) but 10 of the vans included in one of the X2 lots were MICA (no code letter) and half of one lot were MICA A - the rest being MICA B. To add to the confusion most of the undiagrammed MICA A were also called "diag X2". The diag X2 precedes X1 ! So it is possibly the worst diag to model.

The X4 was essentially a X2 on the outside but with the roof hatches, end steps and hand rails, but most definitely a MICA B. However the brake arrangement was different from the X2 - but eventually some the X1/2 were changed to X4 brake arrangement.

The X5 also MICA B is very similar to X4/X2 essentially only difference being the buffers and brakes! Indeed some of the last lot of X4 were actually X5.

All of these were built pre WWI during which no more MICA were built (just the converted V16's as X6 'goods' MICA A)

Given the period of their build it is surprising that any of these early vans passed into BR use - but they reportedly did.

• RMweb Gold

It catches the general shape and character, subject to the overlength already mentioned; it's probably better than the average ex-HD 'Super Detail' wagon (many of which are not as faithful to the prototype as is often supposed)

As for kits, I think David Geen does one?

Yeah, as mentioned in my post above ;)

Goes together very nicely as well although I substituted plastic brake gear for the white metal castings

supplied with the kit.

• RMweb Gold

My thanks to all!...just one last "Q"...do the David Geen kits make provision for all couplings or is there a preferred installation?

Jules

Here are a couple of shots of my Geen kit:

post-6720-126891476857_thumb.jpg

post-6720-126891478899_thumb.jpg

My recollection is that it doesn't come with any particular provision for couplings, in fact I think I had to supply my own plastikard

floor. I originally fitted tension locks - you can still see the mounting pads in the lower pic (department of cruel enlargements) - but have now switched to

3-links. Apologies for the fluff on the lens :blink:

I have a small leaflet somewhere which is a facsimile of a BTC publication released soon after the nationalisation of railways. It states that insulated wagons and containers will be painted in stone colour and then white when available. I assume that in the period soon after the end of the Second World War, there were some material shortages which made the manufacture of white paint difficult. I believe this is also why London Transport adopted cream rather than white for its buses post-war.

• RMweb Gold

As for the bible...that may take some effort to track down...but if it's anything like my copy of Fly Fishing By J.R. Hartley, it'll take a while, but I'll get there in the end.

Effort? What effort? There's a link to four copies (one has sold since yesterday), with two at sensible prices, further up.... ;)

I have a small leaflet somewhere which is a facsimile of a BTC publication released soon after the nationalisation of railways. It states that insulated wagons and containers will be painted in stone colour and then white when available. I assume that in the period soon after the end of the Second World War, there were some material shortages which made the manufacture of white paint difficult. I believe this is also why London Transport adopted cream rather than white for its buses post-war.

That is interesting. I wonder if any special precautions were made for these during the war?

According to Russell the roof was also painted white (weathering to grey in use) so a train of these vans at night (or even in daylight) must have stood out brightly against the surrounding countryside.

Having seen a couple of the preserved examples and the peeling paint on them I'm not sure they were ever pure white except when standing outside the paint shop - muddy cream might be a better description.

• RMweb Premium

Effort? What effort? There's a link to four copies (one has sold since yesterday), with two at sensible prices, further up.... ;)

I think I may have been responsible for its disappearance. Thanks for the heads up; I've been looking for a reasonably priced copy for some time.

• 1 year later...

Just researching these creatures in preparation for receiving my £1.70 ebay winsmile.gif, thought I'd revive this for anyone interested. The Brian Huxley article is in RM July '77, the BRM one by Stuart Brazier was Dec '99. There's also an article by Martin Needham on the David Geen kit in MRJ117.

Just wish I could get my head around which ones had 2 roof hatches and which had 4, or when/if they were changed?

Stuart says that from 1937, there was a conversion programme to the use of dry ice (presumably as opposed to wet ice) and that 'some (probably all) had the four roof hatches blocked off and replaced by two central hatches, a central top step was also provided'. It also looks likely that Tevans had them again blocked off and the handrails removed, though the end steps seem to have remained

Stuart says that from 1937, there was a conversion programme to the use of dry ice (presumably as opposed to wet ice) and that 'some (probably all) had the four roof hatches blocked off and replaced by two central hatches, a central top step was also provided'. It also looks likely that Tevans had them again blocked off and the handrails removed, though the end steps seem to have remained

Thanks Pennine, its taken 13 months but I'll sleep a lot easier now I know the answer to that :).

It also looks likely that Tevans had them again blocked off and the handrails removed, though the end steps seem to have remained

Probably true for the hatches (I guess I should have climbed on top to check) but the end hand rails survived. Though this does have the caveat that it is in "preservation" ... also a shot of the more decrepit example = both at Didcot - but only 2 examples.

tevan_79933.jpg

tevan_105860.jpg

Guest dilbert

Just a couple of comments, there were two Tevan dias. V31 & V32

Kenton's photo of 79933 is of a dia X7 to dia V31 conversion (others included dias X2, X4 & X8) - the second conversion was of a dia X9 to V32 - one difference between the two eventual dia V3x prototypes is the step arrangement on the wagon ends - only the dia V32 had a stepped arrangement upto the roof, the dia V31 had (apparently) different step arrangements dependent on the originating dia Xy number ...dilbert

Probably true for the hatches (I guess I should have climbed on top to check) but the end hand rails survived. Though this does have the caveat that it is in "preservation" ...

I should have qualified that I suppose - on my whistle-stop tour of references I certainly found some Tevans that had had them removed, but it's obviously dangerous to suggest they all were. TBH I'd think the preserved one will be as it was in service, I can't see the GWS restoring them for the sake of it

tevan_79933.jpg

On this one, the planks on the end don't match up to the planks on the side. Saw this when I was at Didcot for the 6023 day. The other one must have been in the carriage shed which was out of bounds on that day.

On this one, the planks on the end don't match up to the planks on the side. Saw this when I was at Didcot for the 6023 day. The other one must have been in the carriage shed which was out of bounds on that day.

Yes, well spotted, but I think it is the side panels that have been "restored" out of alignment (probably the use of metric wood) as this is the opposite corner and the panels on that side line up. (sort of)

tevan_79933_2.jpg

More like the end planks are small as they are only 6 1/2" high when the side ones are mainly 7" high which is normal for the GWR. (I am also a rivet counter as well and also measure how afar apart the rivets are as well :mad: .)

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I think this train has 3 10tBR insulated meat vans and 2 Mica b's at the rear? 

train is passing Aintree on the North Mersey branch and Im pretty sure will be heading for Bankfield L&Y goods yard which handled frozen meat, close up of a Jim Peden shot dated 24th April 1957.

post-27-0-02090100-1373158024.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived