Churminster & Stowe Magna, Southern Railway

Tony Teague

• RMweb Gold

On 23/12/2021 at 20:32, thegreenhowards said:

Seems like reasonable progress for a ‘low mojo’ year! Are the parts for the S11 available for me to work on?

On 23/12/2021 at 21:09, Tony Teague said:

There is a box out there marked "S11" which is promising - I'll check the contents and report back, so that if there is anything missing I can source it.

Will get back to you and then work out how I can get things to you.

Hi Andy

Have retrieved the S11 box and will mail you privately about how to get it's contents across to you!

Thanks for being prepared to take this on.

Tony

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Teague said:

A Happy New Year to all followers of this thread!

Having set out my 2022 priorities in my last post I have made a little progress - but needless to say this has no bearing on the things I highlighted as either important or urgent! :rofl:

Back in May of last year, @Nick C who follows this thread offered, and I accepted, a 3-D printed model of No.3458 'Ironside', a loco that was missing from the fleet at that time; the model needed finishing and some fettling and I finally started on this during the last week.

SJPP109007102220109.jpg.bb2abaaaacbe428b0deca2cc6b3b0635.jpg

I have rubbed down some areas where the cast & or paintwork were a bit rough, filled others, added the tool boxes (or are they sandboxes?) to the running plates, added the buffer heads and re-touched paintwork in the areas that I had adjusted. Decals, nameplates and further painting plus weathering are now needed to finish the job.

I can also report that Security Services recently detained a man on the road from Churminster towards RAF Charmy Bottom as it appeared that he had been attempting to take photographs of the airfield; they were able to recover this image:

1554253784_SJP2022-01-1121-08-25(BRadius8Smoothing4)02220109.jpg.56695da6656771458ccfeb44dc0787d5.jpg

The intruder has been taken to an unknwn secure location for what was described as "interrogation".

Readers of this thread are fortunately covered by the Official Secrets Act and so we can reveal (in strictest confidence) a further image that shows the latest progress in erecting the perimeter fence to the airfield as well as the scrubby area in front of it.

1381872073_SJP2022-01-1121-08-25(BRadius8Smoothing4)02220109.jpg.bb5f40d1248d4e7eb5a743816554510f.jpg

A second image shows a short train arriving with tank wagons containing aircraft fuel into the now requisitioned Charmy Bottom Station that forms part of the military complex.

1865510776_SJP2022-01-1121-10-34(BRadius8Smoothing4)02220109.jpg.d20c03a2195202b263e4c450b54756d8.jpg

Both images reveal that the sky currently ends just to the rear of the aircraft hangars and that the required 3 strands of razor wire have yet to be installed at the top of the new fencing!

Further progress will follow, but who knows when!

Tony

Like the water tower!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/01/2022 at 23:27, St Enodoc said:

Like the water tower!

Thanks St Enodoc!

SJPP702000202190702.jpg.50e5c51a7461ec0750f767653b7d234e.jpg

I believe that the RAF found it necessary to install the water tower because the airfield is on top of the hill and would otherwise suffer low water pressure.......(it's an old Arfix kit).

[NB the Land Rover has been removed since this image was first posted, on advice from the late Mr Bonwick who (correctly) informed me that it was 'out of era'.]

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 12

The B2X tender for the C3 [in its 7mm form] has been almost finished. The 4mm kit should end up looking something like this:

If I ever produce it as a kit, I will do something about the coal rails - these look a little two-dimensional.

DSC_0002.JPG

Edited by Arun Sharma
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Arun Sharma said:

The B2X tender for the C3 [in its 7mm form] has been almost finished. The 4mm kit should end up looking something like this:

If I ever produce it as a kit, I will do something about the coal rails - these look a little two-dimensional.

DSC_0002.JPG

Really looks the part Arun!

Tony

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I was joined for a further couple of days this week, by my good friend Giles Walburn, who has been working with me for seven, yes 7, years on the control systems and control panel for the layout - which is iteslef a lesson in why to "keep things simple"! :rofl:

At the end of his last visit we were just a "gnat's" from finally completing the panel, but I had foolishly run out of LED's - we were just 6 short! :ireful:

I was better prepared this time and so these were rapidly installed, after which I had decided that we would work through every switch, function and LED in order to give the panel & the layout a thorough test and to fix one or two faults that I had spotted in the intervening period.

SJPP123000202220123.jpg.521484104b588034e9053239e382277b.jpg

I am happy to report that the session was completely successful, however, one fault took more time to trace that all of the others put together!

As can be seen above, one lever in the frame is currently unpainted - which is because it has been replaced - and whilst I like the quasi-authentic look of these DCC Concepts Cobalt levers, and their functionality, I'm afraid that I have found them less relaible than I would like. In this case the lever was creating a dead short, but only in one position.

This is the third one of these to fail over roughly 6 years, despite fairly light usage. I admit that the wiring of the layout is complex, but it is very well documented, and so faults can usually be traced fairly quickly, however, I suppose that each of us suspected that the fault would relate to a loose wire or a dry soldered joint, or something we might have inadvertantly damaged; neither of us expected the fault to be inside the switch itself.

SJPP123000302220123.jpg.100850dce293ae5198413e2fe7994b4f.jpg

The switches come with a tag board to solder connections to, or as an optional extra, one can also acquire a plug-in connector which should make connecting wires simpler. Of the two switches that had failed previously, one fault related to the switch itself and the other to the connector; the underside of the latter are factory soldered and in that instance the solder - which had been fine on installation - seemed to have spread under the pressure of the connector being screwed down to the base board, so that eventually one terminal was incorrectly connected to the next!

SJPP123000602220123.jpg.87529a0d3db7eb80d8df9f064d0b0efe.jpg

As you may imagine this is pretty difficult to trace! After 2 hours however, we found that in this cas the problem lay inside the switch itself and so when I have the time I will strip it down and see whether it can be repaired and held as a spare.

Despite the problems, we had a very successful couple of days since everything is now working as it should, so there is now no excuse for me not to play trains!

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

In completing last week's testing & fault finding session, almost every train on the layout had tio be moved, and not all of them were returned to their 'correct' starting position within the (slowly) developing operating schedule.

It will take several hours to re-shuffle all of the stock back to those correct positions and so I thought this would be a good opportunity to take a few pictures as the moves took place.

481639004_SJP2022-01-2919-41-18(BRadius8Smoothing4)02220129.jpg.0473210660f4662580ba2f77ce30cea4.jpg

First up was this short milk train which collects supplies locally and deliveries them to the nearby creamery, headed by Hornby M7 no.678, and seen here heading north past Churminster South box.

SJPP129010202220129.jpg.27733658fdba32c72617765e105c5cf3.jpg

Next, E4 no.2505 awaits the off at Churminster Station headed in the opposite direction with a short local passenger train made up of Maunsell non-corridor stock.

SJPP129010402220129.jpg.df41ff2108700941125e1dddc2aaff17.jpg

Given the road, she moves off.

SJPP129024902220129.jpg.62212240e2814406e5bcaab41904754d.jpg

Meanwhile, further up the line at Stowe Magna station, a loaded coal train with wagons for local merchants & the gas works, & headed by a Schools class locomotive, waits at platform 6 to be called into the goods yard whilst being passed in the down direction by a pick-up goods.

SJPP129025102220129.jpg.e155d101a8ab2098e9f845c87643bf4c.jpg

Seen from the opposite end of the station, the pick-up goods is passes onto the main line at Stowe Magna Junction, headed for Churminster.

Plenty more to follow!

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 18

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

It always takes me a couple of days to clear up after Giles and I have been working, but on this occasion I decided that I also needed to clear my workbench so as to provide the space for me to work on the current priorities.

Over a period of months, most of what had accumulated consisted of rolling stock and locos which had been declared 'failures' for one reason or another, and removed from whatever train they were on; I am pretty strict about this, but not so good at then remedying the defects, so by the time I get around to it, I can't remember what was the cause of the problem..........🙄

Anyway, this is what I found on the bench and in sundry other convenient, 'undeveloped' spots around the layout - all needing some kind of attention:

SJPP403000302220403.jpg.2a59e49106ffc51d328839f8ec64b3bc.jpg

At the point of taking the picture I had already removed 6 further locos, 2 of which are 'in hand' on the bench, 2 are back in stock drawers because they now work but are not yet weathered, one is back in service and the last is in bits in a bag in the 'cripple' drawer because it is currently beyond hope!**

The current / next priorities include repairing & improving some buildings and scenery in the Stowe Magna area, damaged by being moved to fit in the scenic back panels, plus starting work on that large, un-scenic'd area shown in my post of about a month ago - so whether the items shown in this picture will all get dealt with anytime soon must be doubtful.

**The 'beyond hope' loco is a Hornby Schools, no.925 'Cheltenham'; it got dropped from a considerable height some time ago, and whilst I managed to repair the body which had come apart, examination of the chassis revealed it to be broken in two - very soft metal & suffering from mazak rot. The Schools chassis block is not available as a spare and so this joins two other Hornby Schools that are in the drawer with damaged front pony trucks; whilst this is a spare part which is still current, there are actually none available. A good job then, that I have 'several' Schools locos!

Tony

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

Over a period of months, most of what had accumulated consisted of rolling stock and locos which had been declared 'failures' for one reason or another, and removed from whatever train they were on; I am pretty strict about this, but not so good at then remedying the defects, so by the time I get around to it, I can't remember what was the cause of the problem..........🙄

Maybe worth keeping a 'defects book' next to the workbench - record any fault when it occurs, then tick it off when fixed. That's what the real thing does after all!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Maybe worth keeping a 'defects book' next to the workbench - record any fault when it occurs, then tick it off when fixed. That's what the real thing does after all!

NIck

Don't worry I have one - and I'm afraid it's a spreadsheet!

Repeat offenders or recurring problems are easily identified.

Tony

(Oh, but sometimes I forget to fill it in as things actually happen - which is what I think you were getting at).

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

As the layout has grown and successive complications have been added, so too has the number of electrical power packs, transformers and connections needed to run it.

In recent weeks I suddenly became conscious of the mess behind the control panel caused by the continued addition of these differing power sources, which cover - aside from running trains - the CCTV system, the numerous IR detectors, both semaphore and coulour light signals, and so on - so I resolved that it must be tidied up!

SJPP524000402220524.jpg.1ae6f4328a5e188ddcea315590dd8c1d.jpg

So this is the new power connection board, situated underneath and behind the control panel - and I am sure it will be enough to give some who have an allergy to electrickery an apoplexy!

Suffice to say that everything is on the "two wire system" - negative and positive!

Tony

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold

Yes, lights dim, trains passing on the WCML slow down.............

No, it is fed from 3 separate 13A sockets!

What is not clear from the picture is that the 5th socket on the top row, labelled "Power Box" covers a separately constructed fan-cooled transformer box which I originally constructed to house 8 x Gaugemaster transformers, plus another twin transformer / rectifier controller.

So plenty of power available to play with - I think I must have a good case for putting solar panels on my roof...............

Tony

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

With nothing much going on today I managed a little more progress - this time returning to that large scenic gap beyond the barns at Churminster.

The entrance into the deer park at Churminster Grange continues to take shape, although nothing is even close to being finished (please excuse the modelling detritus!):

SJPP602000702220602.jpg.981a25c5c620532b239e11f1e09a9fcb.jpg

The wall needs fettling, the road needs some grass along the sides and re-painting, plus we need some deer in the park:

SJPP602000302220602.jpg.b1eff58fd664b87a3c02d39b7c0d49f5.jpg

Further along towards the airfield the landform is now fairly complete and has had a 2nd covering of plaster bandage, followed by a first covering of paint in a shade which I refer to as 'fecal brown' (not to be confused with Fecal Sharkey, a popular singer of the '80's!):

SJPP602000102220602.jpg.f5c5c2698b7d0354fcbf3dc732bbaee8.jpg

I bought 2 litres of this paint a while ago in a sale for 50p - easy to imagine why no-one would want to put it on their walls! Nevertheless it does a reasonable job as what will be an 'undercoat' for plenty of static grass. The area should look pretty different once completed and with the backscene back in place (and this will hide the two tracks at the rear, which are the entry roads to the upper fiddle yard), but there will still be plenty to do towards the front of this section where the main line descends into a cutting whilst the narrow gauge quarry line climbs between two tunnels.

SJPP602000202220602.jpg.e651a716bf6a7d8ba4541b34e6c8a7fb.jpg

Given the long weekend I am hoping to make further progress over the next few days.

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 15
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

With nothing much going on today I managed a little more progress - this time returning to that large scenic gap beyond the barns at Churminster.

The entrance into the deer park at Churminster Grange continues to take shape, although nothing is even close to being finished (please excuse the modelling detritus!):

SJPP602000702220602.jpg.981a25c5c620532b239e11f1e09a9fcb.jpg

The wall needs fettling, the road needs some grass along the sides and re-painting, plus we need some deer in the park:

SJPP602000302220602.jpg.b1eff58fd664b87a3c02d39b7c0d49f5.jpg

Further along towards the airfield the landform is now fairly complete and has had a 2nd covering of plaster bandage, followed by a first covering of paint in a shade which I refer to as 'fecal brown' (not to be confused with Fecal Sharkey, a popular singer of the '80's!):

SJPP602000102220602.jpg.f5c5c2698b7d0354fcbf3dc732bbaee8.jpg

I bought 2 litres of this paint a while ago in a sale for 50p - easy to imagine why no-one would want to put it on their walls! Nevertheless it does a reasonable job as what will be an 'undercoat' for plenty of static grass. The area should look pretty different once completed and with the backscene back in place (and this will hide the two tracks at the rear, which are the entry roads to the upper fiddle yard), but there will still be plenty to do towards the front of this section where the main line descends into a cutting whilst the narrow gauge quarry line climbs between two tunnels.

SJPP602000202220602.jpg.e651a716bf6a7d8ba4541b34e6c8a7fb.jpg

Given the long weekend I am hoping to make further progress over the next few days.

Tony

That’s taken me back Tony as when I was living at home I painted my bedroom in that shade of brown and if memory serves it was still that colour when I moved out. 

When I next stayed in that room I was sure I could hear the cursing and mutterings of my dad who had the unenviable task of redecorating. Ooh did I forget to say? The emulsion was over wood chip. Sorry Dad. 

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2