Updating 'Nellie'

Del

While digging around in a second-hand shop, I came across an old 0-4-0T, which looked like it might make a nice characterful light railway goods loco. There was no guarantee that it worked, but for a fiver, I thought I'd take a punt.

Well, it does work, and a little bit of research tells me it's a Triang 'Nellie', very loosely based on a LSWR C14. I don't want it to be a C14, just a better-looking 0-4-0T.

The plan is to rewheel it, possibly remotor it, new buffers, some proper handrails, a proper bunker, get rid of that odd front 'shield' around the base of the smokebox, maybe remove the toolbox on the footplate.

However, a brief excursion around the Internet seems to suggest that rewheeling for Code 100 is not a simple task, with talk of specific Romford wheels and axles required, and I was wondering if there are any other RTR chassis that might fit under it, like the Hornby 0-4-0 ('Smokey Joe', 101 etc) or the Pug?

Edited by Del

Someone has put it on an 0-6-0 chassis. I think you'll find it somewhere on RMweb.

I've got one in my box of stuff to convert to O-16.5, but haven't decided what to do with it yet, although the wheels will probably go, either in the lathe or the bin!

You could buy a set of Romford/Markit wheels and the correct axles. The MRRC 5 pole motor is a good drop in replacement, but you will have to obtain one second hand, though I think Southeastern Finecast used to do a conversion bracket tor the Anchorage motors.

I bought one (Nellie) off eBay which had a P4 conversion done to it !!

• Like 1

Since System 6 track (from 1970) was code 100 and the Nellie locos were in production until the late 1970s any of the later Tri-ang-Hornby/Hornby wheelsets used on them must have been compatible with the track as it was used in the train sets. It may be that the early examples which didn't have see-through spokes, might have had coarser treads.

My father's layout has two Nellies (not end of run ones either, they have X04 motors) on it which AFAIK have not been rewheeled and run fine on Code 100 Streamline track. As do a various other locos (the 1956 Princess has been rewheeled, but I think that's the only one).

Rolling stock though, is another story!

All the Nellies will run on code 100 track, but they might not like Peco code 100 points if the back to back is too tight. The wheels need easing out a fraction to work without a bump on the frog.

The steel rimmed wheels will convert easily in a lathe to fine scale EM or P4, just move the tyre outwards in a press and re-machine the flange, and face the tyre front.

The body will tidy up easily, with extra detailing as far as you want,

The Xo4 motor should be OK they can be serviced in minutes, or if missing use a Chinese can motor from Ebay, with a brass sleeve to take the worm on to the metric shaft. Most small can motors will fit with a home made bracket.

They make a useful industrial or light railway engine.

Stephen

• Like 1

The easing of the back to back is easy, just hold the chassis in your hand and tap the axle centre with a punch till it moves a bit out. The back to back measurement should be about 14.3 to 14.4. in theory 14.5, but at 14.5 the overall width might foul the body, check and see, and if all clear, then use 14,5, but be prepared to experiment a bit,

There is no need to rush to buy the replacement wheels, it is only appearance that would be improved,

Stephen

Thanks for the wheel advice.

I only checked that it ran by a controller onto the pickups, so haven't actually put it on track yet. Going by my ancient Triang Jinty's struggles I had assumed that this would be similar, but looks like I might be OK.

It's a green one, numbered 27. Any idea how old it's likely to be?

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

I have had a couple of those over the years, and they ran fine on the range if 00 track types that I had.  Fitted wire handrails and crew.  Repainted, too, but nothing inspiring on that part.

As for alternate chassis types, I've seen them fitted onto the 'Smokey Joe'/Caley Pug type and, I'm sure, a Terrier too!

Just go and have some fun with it.

Regards,

Alex.

If anybody wants a P4 Polly, then the supplied wheels are perfect, you don't even need to alter the back to back of the centres, just push out the tyre in a vice or press, or tap it out, then  thin the flange to scale, and trim the outer tyre back to the casting, Very easy conversion, I did one in the 1960's to test out P4 track design.

There are however some early Pollys with solid wheels, these will run on 00 track onyl, but can be eased out a tiny bit for Peco points

Also general advice, the X04 motor is near indestructible, unless burnt out, and even then can have a new armature, There is nothing in it that you cannot service, exchange, make or bodge to keep them running,

The key is lubrication, heavy oil on the bearings every so often, and occasional new carbon tips on the brush arms. By the time they need this they would have run hundreds of hours.

If you you have access to a lathe then skim the commutator and pole faces, balance the armature and pop in ball races,,,,,,you will not find a better motor design, all the troubles come from wear and tear due to no servicing, no oil, or physical damage due to drops and bangs,

Stephen

• RMweb Premium

Someone has put it on an 0-6-0 chassis. I think you'll find it somewhere on RMweb.

I think this is the conversion John means http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82968-niles-mostly-freelance-bodging-bench-coach-wagon-bodging/?p=1763373

I have also seen a conversion described somewhere (which I can't now find) using the 'Smokey Joe' chassis, which since that is made of plastic is fairly easy to shorten.  You will still have to lose the front steps from the Nellie body to fit over the cylinders.

HTH

Moxy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I am aware of at least three different wheel types on these locos, the green 27 will have the middle version, with a sort of black finish, the odd late one did have the silver tyred wheels usually found on the blue or bright red ones with the Lord of the Isles dome.  I'm a Nellie geek....I have a cupboard full of them, trying to get all the variations!

The early solid wheeled ones won't run on code 100.

I cut the body through, stretched it by about 12mm, cut the cab back off, fitted a firebox backplate and a pair of Dublo trailing wheels. Painted it beige.

Fun and funky. 0-4-2 !

Also general advice, the X04 motor is near indestructible, unless burnt out, and even then can have a new armature, There is nothing in it that you cannot service, exchange, make or bodge to keep them running,

The key is lubrication, heavy oil on the bearings every so often, and occasional new carbon tips on the brush arms. By the time they need this they would have run hundreds of hours.

If you you have access to a lathe then skim the commutator and pole faces, balance the armature and pop in ball races,,,,,,you will not find a better motor design, all the troubles come from wear and tear due to no servicing, no oil, or physical damage due to drops and bangs,

Stephen

Originally designed to be fitted to reconaissance cameras on Spitfires!

I cut the body through, stretched it by about 12mm, cut the cab back off, fitted a firebox backplate and a pair of Dublo trailing wheels. Painted it beige.

Fun and funky. 0-4-2 !

I cut and shut two bodies onto a Bachmann 03 chassis for a passable representation of an ex-Cambrian (Tanat Valley) 0-6-0T.

Since System 6 track (from 1970) was code 100 and the Nellie locos were in production until the late 1970s any of the later Tri-ang-Hornby/Hornby wheelsets used on them must have been compatible with the track as it was used in the train sets. It may be that the early examples which didn't have see-through spokes, might have had coarser treads.

Triang models were made code 100 compatible from around 1963 so that they could be run on HD 2-rail track. The systems were formally merged in 1965. The standard loco wheelsets exist in coarse and finer flanged versions whilst 1963 marked the move from split-axle to pinpoint axle wheelsets for most rolling stock.

Yep, early 1970s. I bought one then, still have it, and it still runs quite nicely.

Can I make a plea on behalf of poor little Nell, and all her sisters?

Please don't saw them up; they have a working-class beauty, all of their own, and a heritage not only in the LSWR C14, but the Bassett Lowke 112 tank. Simple, but effective engines, from a simple but effective (when not on strike) era.

Those things at the front are smokebox wing plates, and are entirely typical of Victorian and Edwardian locos, built prior to a change in smoke-box design convention.

K

• Like 3

I think this is the conversion John means http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82968-niles-mostly-freelance-bodging-bench-coach-wagon-bodging/?p=1763373

I have also seen a conversion described somewhere (which I can't now find) using the 'Smokey Joe' chassis, which since that is made of plastic is fairly easy to shorten.  You will still have to lose the front steps from the Nellie body to fit over the cylinders.

HTH

Moxy

Looks great, I have not got my model to hand so size of body not known, but it depends on how much super detailing is done but here is a thought

How about fitting a Branchlines (Southeastern Finecase also do one) P class chassis which is about 83 mm long wheelbase 44 mm.Or a Branchlines Terrier which is 92 mm long with a wheel base of 44 mm. Southeastern Finecase may also do an 0-4-0 etched chassis. With a modern motor etc OK its freelance but might be quite a fun winter project

It's a shame I can't think of a suitable prototype to justify converting it to broad gauge! I've got a BG Smokey Joe, and have recently discovered it's not a bad match for some real BG dock tanks, so it's on the list for more surgery.