Scalescenes fishing boat

Hippo

• RMweb Premium

post-8690-0-23199900-1476790108.jpg

Not sure if any one is interested but the latest edition of Model Rail magazine dropped through the letter box yesterday.

In it there is a code to download a free fishing boat kit from scalescenes in N or OO.

It looks to be a nice kit and a bit smaller than the recently released puffer. It looks to be the same period though and would go nicely with it on a dock scene.

Owen

• RMweb Premium

With an engine rather than sails presumably. I could use an 1880s boat.

Yes sorry, it does have an engine, not sails.

Its actually described as a trawler.

Well, despite the 1950s target audience, it's clearly a planked hull and deck, so I imagine that without the modern bridge, it would be suitable for earlier periods.  A good thing to have.  Thanks to Scalescenes and Model Rail.

Better still was the £60 wine voucher, however.

Do you have the issue number as online it isn't mentioned and I cannot see that picture on the front cover of the magazine displayed on their website.

Its Issue 228 November 2016. It is pictured on the front cover bottom left corner.

Will be building one of these for Crinan eventually. . .

The Model Rail site seems to be still showing last months issue as being current, and I can not see any mention of it on the Scalescenes site, I am interested in this but need to have a better look before I go searching for the magazine locally.

• RMweb Premium

The Model Rail site seems to be still showing last months issue as being current, and I can not see any mention of it on the Scalescenes site, I am interested in this but need to have a better look before I go searching for the magazine locally.

The Model Rail digital version usually appears on a Thursday, so I expect it will show on the Model Rail site tomorrow.

Al

• RMweb Gold

Do you have the issue number as online it isn't mentioned and I cannot see that picture on the front cover of the magazine displayed on their website. 

Hi all,

Certainly is the November Issue...

https://www.greatmagazines.co.uk/model-rail-magazine?gclid=CjwKEAjw1qHABRDU9qaXs4rtiS0SJADNzJis21C0WIqYQ76u2BVhZjin6Q-688VZk5aeLxP9MNkrOhoCao3w_wcB

Free - now that's got to be a good thing!

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the info, now do I just order a single copy for the free model? With shipping @£6 I may just wait for the model to appear on the Scalescenes website ? 

Hi there,

My understanding is that the model is with each copy - so you could just wait until it hits the shelves?

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Just a thought - if you were to use the wheelhouse from the puffer, the trawler could be backdated somewhat.

Regards.

You might get away with just painting it in a darker colour and adding a cylindrical funnel aft of the wheel house. A suggestion for the masts, which I guess will be fabricated from rolled card in the kit, use cheap 'artists' brush handles. The tapered look works well - and you can always use old brushes or paint with a shortened handle!

If you want to customize your trawler's number to locate it at a port near your layout you can find their registration numbers at https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/uk-vessel-lists 

I am in Canada and my local store does not carry this magazine nor can I order so have to ship from the UK.

You could purchase the digital edition online. It contains the same details needed to access the model from Scalescenes. Much cheaper than shipping from the U.K.

I am in Canada and my local store does not carry this magazine nor can I order so have to ship from the UK. 

Around here (Montreal) the main UK model Railway mags are readily available.  Is there a magazine store nearby?  I get the mom and pop newsagents in the mall to hold the magazines for me, even MRJ.  Perhaps a request to one of the local stores will get you the magazines.  They're always a month or so late.

John

Another thought for using the trawler kit.

If it were printed at a slightly reduced size and with a different wheelhouse it could represent a typical wooden-hulled inshore fishing boat such as that illustrated here:

http://www.kinlochbervie.info/scripts/gallery.asp?Root=selfhelp&list=20

One of the great things about John's kits is their potential for modification.

Regards.

If you have a branch of Chapters/Indigo in your area they do carry UK publications. I convinced our local to stock MRJ so Model Rail shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers,

David

Around here (Montreal) the main UK model Railway mags are readily available.  Is there a magazine store nearby?  I get the mom and pop newsagents in the mall to hold the magazines for me, even MRJ.  Perhaps a request to one of the local stores will get you the magazines.  They're always a month or so late.

John

Thanks John, 

All we have here is a Chapters and they won't order or even save an issue for you !!! 

• RMweb Gold

. A suggestion for the masts, which I guess will be fabricated from rolled card in the kit, use cheap 'artists' brush handles.

The instructions suggest Evergreen styrene rods for the masts - you are not expected to roll them up from paper!

Archived