coachmann's 4mm loco & coach W.B.

coachmann

• RMweb Gold

Good Goddard, the description is total bollokcs.  Dave Studely may well have built the coaches and if he did then he would also have painted them, him being a professional painter. Derek Lawrence couldn't paint to save his life......He generally built the coaches. As for being painted FOR me....Garbage!

I thought you'd like that. :jester:

• RMweb Gold

He's 'implying'  again Larry.

One of the 12 wheel diners looks to be a Westdale wrapper judging by the picture in one of the several other lots that he's selling. I have a couple of them unmade! 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COMET-KIT-BUILT-RAKE-of-3-LMS-MAINLINE-COACH-by-GRAHAM-VARLEY-LAWRENCE-GODDARD-n/332098086102?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D38661%26meid%3D216ad056926245a788d79d49c792c263%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D361885917937

• RMweb Gold

Stacking like that for the photo and there will definitely be marks on the roof

But at least he is honest enough to tell you he's damaged them...

Some light marks to the rooves, but otherwise perfect. Fitted with hook and chain couplings.

• 3 weeks later...

I've always been impressed with the accuracy of the bodies on these models.  The discussion in your other thread has inspired to take some Bachmann P1s and nurdle them to be more in line with modern standards.  I'll do them in BR livery as you have.

They do clean up nicely.

John

Edited by brossard

Going back into the sounds of the nation......

Some elderly RTR coaches came in recently in Replica Railways boxes for "accountancy renewals", ie; To be replaced like for like by etched brass coaches using some of the original plastic coach parts. I was quite surprised at the quality of these models, which must have been pretty good at the time of their release. Some are still in production today as blasts from the past....

Bachmann China BR Mk.I Buffet Restaurant....

attachicon.gifWEB Bachmann MkI diner.jpg

Isn't this the Mainline RB (no. 37-114) to Diagram 24 as described here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/880/entry-16100-the-mainline-restaurant-buffet-%E2%80%93-part-one-flush-glazing/

and here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/95063-updating-older-models-mainline-mk1-buffetrestaurant/ rather than a Bachmann product?

OK, thanks for the info but Coach did edit the caption substituting Replica for Bachmann. The Replica and Mainline versions were virtually identical AFAIAA, except for the packaging and the coach number.

Edited to add to original comment.

I did no such thing. Where the hell did that come from? 

The 14XX/58XX does like like a very nice model but I am glad that I haven't bought one.  I do have two Airfix bodies and a Comet chassis which were abandoned when I switched to Gauge O and I feel it would be very wrong not to finish that project - one of these days.

When Hattons first announced it I could not understand why they would not also commission an autocoach.  A missed marketing opportunity if ever there was one.

• RMweb Gold

When Hattons first announced it I could not understand why they would not also commission an autocoach. 

I actually think that there will be an announcement of one by someone soon.Maybe not this year but it will come.It's an open goal as far as I'm concerned.

Those rods look like they've come off an American Mallett.

Rods at their widest part in the centre :-

Real : Just under 3mm for 7mm scale.   Knuckles : 5mm

7mm : SanCheng 14XX  3.5mm             Knuckels : 5mm

4mm : Hattons 14XX  2mm.                    Knuckles : 3.5mm   (should be 2.85mm)

So the rods are too deep and the knuckles oversize on Hattons 14XX.

Edited by coachmann

In keeping with the 14XX theme, here is a typical GWR number plate showing the shamfered surround outside of the number plate. Some engraved plate manufacturers actually produce this although the modeller has to round the outside off. It would be painted green if the loco was green....

post-6680-0-87451400-1487593484_thumb.jpg

post-6680-0-36329900-1487592822_thumb.jpg

Also a 14XX coupling rod...

post-6680-0-75807100-1487593127.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

Thanks, Larry.  What has been confusing has been the fact that Severn Mills leave a larger border around the plate itself which is necessary to preserve the details while etching.  This border I removed completely on mine, whereas the border should continue to be there but pared down to be less obvious.  I know I am not explaining this very well but the photos and drawing do a much better job.

Thanks, Larry.  What has been confusing has been the fact that Severn Mills leave a larger border around the plate itself which is necessary to preserve the details while etching.  This border I removed completely on mine, whereas the border should continue to be there but pared down to be less obvious.  I know I am not explaining this very well but the photos and drawing do a much better job.

I used GWR number plates with borders on 4mm and 7mm paint jobs years ago but I cannot remember who produced them. The border is worth it on an 0 gauge loco.

Painted and glazing fitted. I am posting these replacements for old RTR models in case they provide inspiration for having a go at fitting etched brass sides. I think you will agree they do make all the difference. The Mk.I full brake should be an easy one to start with seeing as the finished coach could be sprayed with a Halfords can in unlined carmine red, unlined maroon or unlined corporate blue. One image was taken using flash which highlights the round corners. In fact the bottom edge of each side was also chamfered as on the real thing....

attachicon.gifWEB etched MkI 2.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB etched MkI 1.jpg

Shown with plastic sided Mk.I....

attachicon.gifWEB etched MkI 3.jpg

The Restaurant Car...

attachicon.gifWEB etched MkI 4.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB etched MkI 5.jpg

Those are stunning Larry. Thanks for posting. I've resided a number of coaches over the past few years- Mk1's, Gresley's and Thompson, for the inspiration. Though I still cannot master the bow pen!

Edited by davidw

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic looking work from old donors. Having followed your various conversions and with little prospect of RTR versions (probably announced this year now) I have started my 1959/60 ex-LMS excursion set using Comet sides and various scrap Mainline/Replica/Bachmann body shells. The intended rake includes D1746 BSO, D1692 SO, D1807 SO and D1913 BSO. At the same time there will probably be a repaint to match in two Replica D1915 opens.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hmm. Thanks, Larry. I have a fair collection of Mainline and Bachmann LMS coaches, that look poor against Hornby period 3 ones, a couple of your own offerings and one of my own. A project for next winter perhaps.

• Like 1

A week ago I showed an elderly Mk.I dining car that had come in Replica Railways green boxes. It is one of several that are to be replaced like-for-like in brass. First move was to make cuts just below the gutter until the blade went completely through the plastic side and then vertical saw cuts about 3mm from each end....

attachicon.gifWEB Bachmann MkI diner.jpg

As with so many of the old RTR coaches, this one rocked from side to side, so I started by bending a strip of 22thou brass to form outriggers on just one of the bogies...

attachicon.gifWEB D23 1.jpg

The original plastic wheels were replaced by metal Bachmann wheels and bedded in to produce smooth running bogies...

attachicon.gifWEB D23 2.jpg

I couldn't find identical etched sides, but Comet produce sides advertised as BR D24. I only have a few photos to go off but they look more like BR D23 sides to me and so the diner will be numbered as such. My usual method is to solder a strip of brass to the top edge of the sides to provide a larger surface when gluing them to the roof with Evostik. 30thou strips of Plastikard were glued to the lower edge of the sides to make up for the difference in thickness between 12thou brass and the old plastic sides...

attachicon.gifWEB D23 3.jpg

There isn't a lot of detail to add; just three verticla grab rails beside the 'blind' doors, glad handles on the ends and door handles....

attachicon.gifWEB D23 4.jpg

Seeing as this coach differed from the Bachmann model, I made a complete set of nickel silver foot boards for under each door. Note they are always offset to the right of the door....

attachicon.gifWEB D23 5.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB D23 6.jpg

Good morning Larry, a question if I may, how do you attach the nickel silver floorboards to the plastic chassis? Do you just glue them or are they pinned too?

Thanks, Stephen.

• RMweb Gold

Hi coach,

Another question please. The Comet sides are slightly longer and deeper than the original Mainline/Replica sides (the same also applies to Bachmann Mk1s). Do you do anything about this? I've recently completed a similar conversion on a Bachmann RU to RB and I shaved down the length to match the donor coach but didn't do anything about the depth.

post-6916-0-69436400-1488273923_thumb.jpg

Not quite up to your standards but I've got to start somewhere :)

• Like 11

HMRS transfer sheet No.14 in 'Methfix' has been out of production for over 12 months now and i am forced to buy 'Pressfix' just for the 'M' prefix & suffix on coaches. My long held opinion of Pressfix is unprintable and I find them difficult to line up because of the backing paper.  When friend John Fozard was producing LNER coaches and Adrian Rowland SR coaches, we used to swap 'Methfix' regional prefixes.

Edited by coachmann

Not with those Mk1's - he wasn't!  LOL.    FWIW weren't the B.R. built Manors like 7822 originally turned out in lined black?  My understanding was that only the GWR built ones became unlined black before returning to green post 1956. Could be wrong though - SWMBO often says I am!

Cheers,

Ray.