Willsbridge (Bath Road)

Andrew P

Regarding the illusive mojo, what they said. 

However, if I can also point out that your "output", if I can call it that, on RMWeb is truly inspirational and educational and you can take great pride in what you incidentally achieve by posting progress and ideas on this forum - we all greatly appreciate not only your work but the time you take to publicise it on here.  I personally have learnt so much following you on RMWeb.

Just a little dip - you'll get over it.

Best wishes,

Brian.

Understandable that after the shed problems your mojo has dipped Andy. But you have definitely not failed. Like others have said, you have just changed direction. Over the years you have brought inspiration to many with your previous layout builds. Without doubt Glen Roy, Pencarne and Porth Merryn are amongst my favourite models of all time.

Many modeller has changed direction of abandoned projects over time for many reasons whether it be a loss of inspiration, house move or a better idea coming along. I think I have suffered from all of the above during the last few years. Since completing Skaleby West in 2012 I have achieved very little in four years. I have abandoned three projects in that time, started another new one and restarted another. Right now I am also in another non-modelling spell! Oh for time and inspiration.

Let me just clarify Guys, my Mojo hadn't dipped this time, I was just curious as to why Modellers who have one long term consistent project don't seem to suffer highs and lows like those of us who flit from one project to another.

My new project seems to be flowing at the moment but only time will tell, I will keep you posted.

• RMweb Premium

Let me just clarify Guys, my Mojo hadn't dipped this time, I was just curious as to why Modellers who have one long term consistent project don't seem to suffer highs and lows like those of us who flit from one project to another.

My new project seems to be flowing at the moment but only time will tell, I will keep you posted.

Andy, you are VERY well acquainted with KL and the current KL2_project. The current layout build has been progressing now for about 16 months with at least the same length to go.

So it's definitely a long-term build.

Mojo - there've been times over the last year when I've barely looked in the Bunker, disinterest kicking in. So it'snot just multi-short-term projects that suffer from "down" periods.

I've always found the solution is to have other, non-rail interests to get on with - such as the astrophotography. And the support from people on here (such as yourself or Jason giving me a kick up the ar5e) has always re-ignited my interest.

No doubt George will badger you into shape!

So down-time applies to everyone but we usually come out of it raring to go!!

Jeff

Hi Andy

After reading your earlier post about long term projects and mojo, I just had to pop in and answer.

The long term project as you know was decided way back in 1978ish and I won't ever stop trying to complete it as I just have to finish anything I start, it just seems to be who I am and having been known as 'Mr meticulous' at one workplace probably sums up why (I've mellowed a bit now though). Not only that I have invested a lot of time and money into the research to recreate a real place and time into a model I will hopefully be proud of and I hate waste, if I were to change I would be one of those people who never finishes anything and that would give me no satisfaction whatsoever.

As for mojo I think that is different for all of us or at least the reason for the loss of it is. In my case it comes down to lack of time due unexpected caring commitments like the last fortnight when the wife had to go into hospital twice for two very urgent investigative procedures so no modelling took place - back on track next week though :good: .

So quite often my mojo suffers from emotional and mental strain and just needs a break to allow it to recharge, so it never really gets lost it just needs to go to sleep for a bit.

Once I feel like getting back into it though I often have to move on to something new like a tree, hill, cart or whatever before returning to the abandoned project I was doing, but never a new layout. The reason you rarely or never hear about it is that I just don't post until I feel up to it and feel sure I can continue for a while.

Just as you find it difficult to see how some of us can be dedicated to one layout for life maybe we or at least I find it hard to see why someone can't, but stopping to think about it maybe it is because I make so much of my own stuff I can flit between scenery, figures or rolling stock when I reach a point when I feel stuck and have time away from a project to have thinking time and provide a solution. I often find things like ballasting great for that as it is pretty mind numbing task until that moment my wandering mind thinks 'Ah now that might just work', of course ballasting would stop then until the next time I get stuck.

Anyway that's my rambling thoughts put down about layouts and mojos and how I cope. We all suffer from it and have out own ways to deal with due to the causes and as Jeff mentioned another interest helps.

All the best Andy and the latest plan seems to suit you to a 'T'

I'm off now to stir that mojo from its slumber

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Spot on, Jim. And your ongoing 38 year project makes my 3-4 year effort seem puny.

Andy, a case in point was my recent decision to re-gauge the track. It took me 5 weeks to replace the stuff I'd laid last year. Was it a chore? No, loved doing it, especially as I could make some changes/improvements to the track plan.

BUT, as a result, the existing platforms - which I'd made in April - had to be scrapped and new ones made. Only a 3-4 day job. But the thought of doing it killed my interest for a week - I couldn't face it.

So I played trains for a few days, thought about how to scratch build the goods shed and then went back to the platforms. New interest and the jigsaw was soon cutting the ply.

In sport they say a loss of form is temporary but class is permanent. Same here - loss of mojo is temporary but overriding interest in the hobby is permanent.

All the best!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I for one do not have an answer to your musing.

The long term project does require a certain amount of discipline to bring it to fruition.  For starters you must resist the temptation to deviate from your allotted locos/coaches/wagons/buildings for your era and location.  Absolutely no purchasing locos because they look good!  You must not put in a bridge because that would look better (even though you really like bridges and are good at building them).

I think those of us who model non-specific locations are going for a "feel" and that is open to so many interpretations that we are tempted to modify all of the time.  The next thing you know the layout looks nothing like it started out as.  Then we want to expand on a section we sort of accidentally created which involves ripping up another part.  Then what the hell  - let's start again.

Also I must repeat earlier responses that in no way have you failed (apart from your taste in curtains).  I have picked up so many things from your layouts and your multiple postings.

You have even got 2 pages of posts just by raising a philosophical question about modelling - that in itself is pretty impressive.

• RMweb Premium

I wish I have had the opportunity to lose my Mojo recently.

"Pack up your trainset, we need the room in the garage to put the junk so it isn't in the house when we get a viewing."

"Don't leave your modelling rubbish on the table in case we get a viewing."

We are not moving now, well not yet. Still cannot get on with anything the manshed is still full of crap which belongs back in the house.

I wish I have had the opportunity to lose my Mojo recently.

"Pack up your trainset, we need the room in the garage to put the junk so it isn't in the house when we get a viewing."

"Don't leave your modelling rubbish on the table in case we get a viewing."

We are not moving now, well not yet. Still cannot get on with anything the manshed is still full of crap which belongs back in the house.

Been there, done that, got a couple of SPARE T Shirts if you want them Clive, it's a most depressing time, especially when a New Idea comes along and your itching to have a look at it. I do hope you find your new abode sooner rather than later, none of us are getting any younger mate, and we need our down time.

Pity you don't live a bit nearer, (although NOT to near, hahahha) to pop around for a running session.

All the best.

• RMweb Gold

Been there, done that, got a couple of SPARE T Shirts if you want them Clive, it's a most depressing time, especially when a New Idea comes along and your itching to have a look at it. I do hope you find your new abode sooner rather than later, none of us are getting any younger mate, and we need our down time.

Pity you don't live a bit nearer, (although NOT to near, hahahha) to pop around for a running session.

All the best.

Andy's moving storage problems led to me storing Swad Lane and then taking it over and modifying it ... but the good news was that he then eventually had the space to build Pencarne and we all know just how brilliant that was.  Rothleigh ... well that space has become a general storage space but the New Year and retirement beckons so things may start moving.

Great Christmas wishes to you all.

Cheers, Peter

Archived