Willsbridge (Bath Road)

Andrew P

post-9335-0-14261500-1477429960_thumb.png

As can be seen on the Map, Willsbridge is actually nearer to Bitton Station than the Village of Bitton.

post-9335-0-56366200-1477238404_thumb.png

Willsbridge  Junction is an imaginary new Station replacing Bitton, and forming a direct link for the GWR to the Midlands, Bristol St Phillips and Avonmouth Docks via the Mangotsfield Junction, coming off the Paddington - Bristol Temple Meads Main Line just east of Keynsham, (spelt K  E  Y  N  S  H  A  M) some of you may not be old enough to get that joke.

post-9335-0-98383900-1477238434_thumb.jpg

More again soon when I wake up.

• RMweb Gold

Amazing! First that you apparently posted this in your sleep, and second that there aren't already 4 pages of comments before I've found your thread :D

Really looking forward to following this, all the best mate.

Al.

Well after a very bleary posting at 02.50 this morning, and the computer freezing and then crashing half way through the posting it now seems to be O.K.

Willsbridge, did seem to be the most sensible choice in the end, considering the Stock I have to hand. I will be ordering the Timber today for delivery on Tuesday, then I can make a start on things. In the meantime I have now cleared the Window side of the Old Potting Shed and so I can now lay the Fiddle Yard and wire that up in anticipation of the great join up when I get back from Holiday in mid November.

I have a busy week coming up as I'm out Monday and Wednesday and I have quite a big weathering job to tackle over the next few days, so things will not proceed at my normal pace, in fact I would say that it will be Snail Pace on this project.

Thanks again for all your past support on Pencarne and my other projects, I hope this build will be as much fun.

I won't be posting a Track Plan just yet, I want to try a couple of ideas out first, but suffice to say it will be quite similar to the original
Pencarne Junction around the Station area so that I have something like this.

Looking forward to your build Andy and I'm glad you are going to keep it similar to Pencarne which gave you so much pleasure, dare I assume this is TLGP? No I thought not.

Have fun in the building and I will try and keep an eye on things, the one thing I know is it will be finished long before mine.

Jim

Cheers Guys, Coffee time and a short break, for those that didn't see the last pic on Pen, here is the state of the site for half of Willsbridge at the moment, ready for the new base boards to go on top.

post-9335-0-70480000-1477132698_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

As I posted on the Bitton thread, I think this is a really good basis for a layout.

Could be a bit difficult to fit it all in in which case the junction might need to be offscene but exchange sidings will give the right feel and scope for shunting.

As I posted on the Bitton thread, I think this is a really good basis for a layout.

Could be a bit difficult to fit it all in in which case the junction might need to be offscene but exchange sidings will give the right feel and scope for shunting.

Yes Joseph, LOADS of Shunting and the will be a Junction to a Freight only Branch, but as you say I may have to imagine the Main Junction to Bath / London is off scene.

• RMweb Gold

Willsbridge is an imaginary new Station replacing Bitton, and forming a direct link for the GWR to the Midlands, Bristol St Phillips and Avonmouth Docks via the Mangotsfield Junction, coming off the Paddington - Bristol Temple Meads Main Line just east of Keynsham, (spelt K  E  Y  N  S  H  A  M) some of you may not be old enough to get that joke.

The Avon Valley Railway would have loved this...your chord is entirely feasible I think given the large flood plain south of the current Bitton line .......speaking as a Keynsham resident I shall follow this with interest...

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifWILLSBRIDGE TOTEM.png

As can be seen on the Map, Willsbridge is actually nearer to Bitton Station than the Village of Bitton.

attachicon.gifWILLSBRIDGE MAP.png

Willsbridge is an imaginary new Station replacing Bitton, and forming a direct link for the GWR to the Midlands, Bristol St Phillips and Avonmouth Docks via the Mangotsfield Junction, coming off the Paddington - Bristol Temple Meads Main Line just east of Keynsham, (spelt K  E  Y  N  S  H  A  M) some of you may not be old enough to get that joke.

attachicon.gifWillsbridge trackmap - Copy.jpg

More again soon when I wake up.

Are you funding this from a pools win or are you dipping into your Luxembourg bank account? See someone remembers! I am looking forward to seeing your Horace Batchelor PO wagons. Odd to include Wills product placement when their tobacco factory was on the other side of Bristol.

Are you funding this from a pools win or are you dipping into your Luxembourg bank account? See someone remembers! I am looking forward to seeing your Horace Batchelor PO wagons. Odd to include Wills product placement when their tobacco factory was on the other side of Bristol.

Well done Phil, those were the days indeed.

Was it Leslie Welch the Memory man or am I losing the plot

Sorry, I can't remember.

Not a clue what you guys are talking about.

O.K. Guys, SORRY :O , I'm with it now, you were talking about Keysham, no it was Horace Bachelor who used to advertise the Football Pools on Radio Luxemburg.

I'm awake now :sungum:

Once Bitton, twice shy. Ah well, Willsbridge now.....You're as bad as that bloke from Taff-y-land! I wondered if you might go back to 0 gauge but it's obviously not a good idea if you happen to like bags of locos. Anyway, good luck Andy...

Thanks Larry, YES that George T bloke keeps telling me I should go back to ''O'', but my passion is Locos, and lots of them, so if I sold ALL my stock it would still only fund some 3 or 4 Locos like Black 5's Jubilee's B1 Peaks etc. so no I will stick with OO, (FOR NOW AT LEAST). :nono:  :nono: :nono:  :nono:  

Well done Andy  you know it makes sense.

You may or may not know the line in Bristol as far as Clifton Down was effectively G & MR joint with Midland style buildings, however I could see that any motivation for a  later Chord in your area being Western. Hence it could well be provided with a western style building.

Please don't forget the slow mineral train from the Mendips north behind a Bath 8f (I mentioned on your previous thread).

Towards the end of steam that would be 48760, 48706 or 48309. The latter I read last week was one of only 2 8fs fitted with steam heating (which explains why it turned up on so many railtours).

Also the Std class 3 tanks with the Bath - Bristol locals (3 Green Bullied coaches at the end).

An interesting additional traffic would be in & out of Frys Chocolate factory between Willsbridge and Keynsham. Rail connected at Keynsham, I've seen Class 14s and class 22 going in. But well placed for a connection at the other end off your chord.

Hope these are useful ideas, let me know if I can be of any more help.

Well done Andy  you know it makes sense.

You may or may not know the line in Bristol as far as Clifton Down was effectively G & MR joint with Midland style buildings, however I could see that any motivation for a  later Chord in your area being Western. Hence it could well be provided with a western style building.

Please don't forget the slow mineral train from the Mendips north behind a Bath 8f (I mentioned on your previous thread).

Towards the end of steam that would be 48760, 48706 or 48309. The latter I read last week was one of only 2 8fs fitted with steam heating (which explains why it turned up on so many railtours).

Also the Std class 3 tanks with the Bath - Bristol locals (3 Green Bullied coaches at the end).

An interesting additional traffic would be in & out of Frys Chocolate factory between Willsbridge and Keynsham. Rail connected at Keynsham, I've seen Class 14s and class 22 going in. But well placed for a connection at the other end off your chord.

Hope these are useful ideas, let me know if I can be of any more help.

Some very good points and interesting scenarios there Tone, Thanks. The book I have also  shows many 7F's on Coal workings and I will have enough capacity in the Fiddle Yard for about a 30 Wagon FULL / EMPTY in each direction all being well.

The odd West Country may have to substitute for the 3MT at the moment, or even a Green Type3 / Class 33. I don't like Class 14's so the 22's will do that turn of duty.

Cheers again for your input.

Archived