Games Workshop Satin varnish Bloom problems and alternatives recommendations

Basically a quick duck and a dive and they sent another can of the same stuff. They will be telling their quality dept !!. :no:

Personally it wont be used ever again as I cant trust the end result. I have now got a can of the Halfords Satin version and will report back when used.

• RMweb Premium

So pretty much what you'd expect these days, a raft of corporate speak meaning 'like it or lump it, that's what you're getting' ?

I'll be interested to hear how the Halfords product works out.

Thanks,

John

Also interested in the Halfords satin lacquer as I need to invest in a new can shortly so this is very timely. I am lucky in having a large Halfords just down the road so hopefully they will have it in stock.

Go on their website to check stock, if your local branch hasn't got any you can order and collect. I did this for my can.

Not used the Halford's satin yet, but do like their gloss. For matt and satin I use Tamiya, the down side is they cost as much as Halford's, but only 1/4 the size. I always put the subject and the can on a shelf over a radiator. Avoid spraying in humid conditions.

• 3 weeks later...

Simple, I find Airbrushing a real pain especially in a shed in winter , the boss would never allow one to be used indoors !!

Has anybody got a recommendation re other Aerosol makes for a subtle Satin finish please. I have already read  Humbrol being slated elsewhere.

I have found the following aerosols so far Windsor & Newton, Montana and Liquitex all do a Satin version . 

Mick

I have used Humbrol satin varnish without a problem. Actually used it two nights ago, it has dried beautifully, but as suggested, it was applied indoors at room temperature, and well shaken before use. It was sprayed over automotive satin black spray to seal press-fix transfers.

Archived