'New Colletts from Old'

Glazing and window bars/grilles added, door furniture and handrails fitted. I need a rest....

DSC_0072_zpsnsfnjlpu.jpg

Tony

Looking good !

Have you put the guards handrail on upside down though?

Edited by lofty1966

Unfortunately the Comet etching would not fit the other way around. It'll be coming out later to be replaced by thin brass wire.

Thanks

Tony

That seems odd - presumably the guard's handrail is fixed by two lugs fitting into two holes?

That being the case; if it fits the holes one way up, it should fit them the other way up.

..... or am I somehow missing the point?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

That, I'm afraid, was unavoidable. I had two left on the etch and one broke. I found that rather battered odd-shaped one in the bits box and fitted it as the model must be completed by Thursday night. In due course it will be removed.

I find the Comet door furniture etched just a little overscale which is why a plain brass wire handle looks better in place of the lower Guard's handrail. Can you suggest any alternatives ?

Tony

That seems odd - presumably the guard's handrail is fixed by two lugs fitting into two holes?

That being the case; if it fits the holes one way up, it should fit them the other way up.

..... or am I somehow missing the point?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Very nice Tony (Prometheus), grab rails and all!  

In answer to your query, the Frogmore etches sold by Dart Castings are very fine.  I think one of the short grab handle lengths could possibly be adapted for  the guard's grab handle, if first annealed.  No, I haven't tried it!

http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/frogmore.php#GWRDetailingParts

Incidentally, I was very fortunate to have a demo by a GWSG colleague, Don Kalber, alas no longer with us, who shewed me how to lightly fettle the Frogmore etched grab handles, so that they were round instead of 'square section'.  Just a few minutes of work with a fine file and then a polish.   

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I managed to find some time today to carry on refurbishing one of the Restaurant Cars, the gas tanks for the kitchen were bothering me until I looked in Russell's Vol 2 Coach Appendix and found they run from end to end rather than side to side

so with a length of 6.5mm O.D. plastic pipe and some disc cut in a paper punch the tanks were made, I hope the photo will give you a better idea to what I have done prior to tidying them up, painting and fixing in place.

2 L Girders will support then on the underframe, if this one turns out OK I will do the other 3.

post-8647-0-87945100-1491659305_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I am pretty certain that there are only two longitudinal gas tanks under H25/H33 restaurant cars which eases the congestion under there.

Thanks for that info the photo's I used are not very clear 2 are 3/4 shots and underframe detail block the view the other shot is side on so I best guessed it on tank volume when comparing it to other diagrams with transverse tanks.   :umbrage:

Now is there kind member out there who has a good method of bending the commode rails on the ends of these coaches I can't seem to get a smooth arc with nickel silver wire.

Thanks for that info the photo's I used are not very clear 2 are 3/4 shots and underframe detail block the view the other shot is side on so I best guessed it on tank volume when comparing it to other diagrams with transverse tanks. :umbrage:

Now is there kind member out there who has a good method of bending the commode rails on the ends of these coaches I can't seem to get a smooth arc with nickel silver wire.

I use thin piano wire and pull/bend it round an 1/8th drill bit. You'll probably need to use a set of thin nosed pliers to grip/pull it.

Spent three hours today with some brass tube , an aluminium rod, Razor saw , metal file and a cordless drill to produce two sets of six of these20170409_162047_zpsvmmzpc3t.jpg

These are the gas tanks to go under the H26 and H29 Restaurants.

State of play on the H26 is thus20170409_162239_zpsvz95jwnf.jpg20170409_162323_zpsn5xmvoiq.jpg20170409_162722_zpspir1zh2t.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I use thin piano wire and pull/bend it round an 1/8th drill bit. You'll probably need to use a set of thin nosed pliers to grip/pull it.

Hi Lofty piano wire was my favorite medium but stocks of this at the usual suppliers have dried up there's only the Albion Metals nickel silver wire available I'll see what ebay can offer.

BTW are you fitting just 2 gas tanks to your restaurant car ? info' or photo's on the tanks is very sparse.

Edited by 81C

Hi Lofty piano wire was my favorite medium but stocks of this at the usual suppliers have dried up there's only the Albion Metals nickel silver wire available I'll see what ebay can offer.

BTW are fitting just 2 gas tanks to your restaurant car ? info' or photo's on the tanks is very sparse.

The H25 and H33 have two tanks running lengthways.

H26 and H29 have six tanks running crossways in banks of three

H33 showing gas tankDSC01074_zps407d4960.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I like the look of those tanks Lofty I've some Comet gas tanks they are a bit on the large side I can't get 6 of them under a Centenary Restaurant Car without a complete under the frame rebuild it something else put on the to do shelf and it's slowly filling up with chopped Hornby coaches. 

I like the look of those tanks Lofty I've some Comet gas tanks they are a bit on the large side I can't get 6 of them under a Centenary Restaurant Car without a complete under the frame rebuild it something else put on the to do shelf and it's slowly filling up with chopped Hornby coaches.

Thank you Mr 81C

Having checked with the drawings in Russells books, the queenposts on my coaches are the correct distance apart.

The Comet tanks are just too big.

What to do with the 12 'spares' I now have ?

Edited by lofty1966