'New Colletts from Old'

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Mr 81C

Having checked with the drawings in Russells books, the queenposts on my coaches are the correct distance apart.

The Comet tanks are just too big.

What to do with the 12 'spares' I now have ?

Hi Lofty my 6 tanks are going into a wagon/s as a load/s I had measured mine too and found them oversize which was odd by the late Jeff Brewin's (Comet) standards unless they were for LMS stock, I'm off to buy some Evergreen tubing & wire at the weekend it's the tanks that have stalled the finishing of 5 dining coaches I just want them ready for this seasons running sessions there's 6 Slater Toplights to detail and 6 modified Hornby Collett which have new sides to paint I think some of these will have to go on the back burner. 

Bob 

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Mr 81C

Having checked with the drawings in Russells books, the queenposts on my coaches are the correct distance apart.

The Comet tanks are just too big.

What to do with the 12 'spares' I now have ?

useful weights for kit built vans....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I will have to do some measuring and see if the tanks can be utilized on a Cordon.

If they are , I feel a semi scratchbuild coming on.

Hi lofty nice try but the diameter is 4mm too small , a bit of a waste using them as ballast for vans 2 rows of 3 fit nicely on a three plank.

Bob

• RMweb Gold

I manager to get to a model shop today 15' of piano wire purchased and another pack of 6mm tubing plus some sheets of glazing now I have plenty to do over Easter I might even see the end of these Colletts very soon subject to SWMBO's whining. 

H26 finished. Amazing how much work has to go into the build.Cobbling together the interior and getting the Bachmann bogies to fit seemed to take forever (I hadn't put a lot of forethought into them)

Anyway a few pix20170419_212048_zps1enardhc.jpg20170419_212021_zpszat5qwws.jpg20170419_212127_zpsuzfevxii.jpg20170419_212148_zpsraxwknpe.jpg

• Like 13

• 3 weeks later...

Good job Lofty has kept us going, as I am afraid I have not (kept going).  A few matters in the private arena have prevented progress.  Taking a check on this, I realise I have achieved the main mileposts which motivated me, so that all that remains is the outer image  (all?).

To recap, I found ways to deal with the railroad Collett shortcomings.

1.  I filed down the lumpy side of the roof on each side, using a piece section of the Comet roofing material to continually measure the accuracy of the filing.

2.  I increased the tumble home of the body work by cutting a tiny gap into the end strengthener and then glueing that gap, up.

3.  I reduced the width of the underframe by sawing it down the middle and glueing the two rough halves onto an accurate plasticard base former.

4.  I sawed off the inaccurately positioned step board and glued a new plasticard one about 1mm above the bottom of the now-flat solebar. 

Now, all I am doing is providing an more accurate interior and then comes the finishing.

That's the problem.  It will be some time before I get to that paradise, if ever, and early summer holidays beckon.  However, I will report eventually, even if the end result is no good!   It's only a hobby and if I fail, that will be as interesting, I hope, as any successes. 

• Like 2

I have stalled a bit.

I have three 70 footers that need droplights painting....I want to make a spray mask jig as I am not happy hand painting them.

6 wheel bogies from Comet are in production so hopefully will have the restaurant coach finished soon.

• 3 weeks later...

I got bored and hacked apart a brake and used up some left over spares made a start on another E128. This time I cut the ends into the body rather then keeping the Hornby original overlay idea.

Anyone know if these coaches were handed left and right ?20170528_235756_zpsgqwkjr5t.jpg20170528_235744_zpsgrde8hrn.jpg

The Devil clearly finds work for idle hands to do!

Hell yes !

I also gathered up all of my off cuts and stupidly glued lots of odds n'sods together to form a rebuilt ex articulated brake van Dia A17

Even the roof is made up of about six different sections.

I sprayed primer on it a couple of days ago but not been to look how bad it is for the second round of filling and sanding.

If it's that bad, pix may never emerge, it's a test to see how far I can push my luck on joining pieces together.

Both sides were cut and shut without roof attached so it really is a wing and a prayer !

I notice that these old Hornby coaches do still appear on secondhand stalls at some shows.

.....gathered up all of my off cuts and stupidly glued lots of odds n'sods together to form a rebuilt ex articulated brake van Dia A17

Even the roof is made up of about six different sections.....

I might have missed it, but has anyone compiled a list of diagrams that you can turn these into via cut-and-shut?

Edited by Horsetan

• 2 weeks later...

Bloody hell Lofty,

If it was mine I wouldn't be complaining.

Certainly looks quite smart.
Those who do kitbash, will appreciate the amount of work involved to get it to this stage :ESPECIALLY" given it is made from leftovers of other projects.

Khris

• 1 month later...

Not having any knowledge of 'hosting' cannot the poster put up his 'master' photos or are all those in the 'ether' with access to them is denied?

Given that he's probably got a hundred or more photos, I wouldn't blame him if he couldn't face doing it all over again.