'New Colletts from Old'

Are you sure your Landlady wouldn't like you working at her kitchen table!

We could all put in a good word for you :)

On a more serious note ....Looooks good!

Khris

I’m blaming you for this Khris....I have cleared off the desk in my room and pulled out my cutting mat and made a workstation.

Pic of progress on the 3rd class dining saloon to follow (cripes)

• Like 3

Glazing bars in on the kitchen car and the second side of windows on the 3rd class saloon.

I don't have any more Railroad restaurant coaches here in Canada (got two at my mother's in the UK, but she has stopped sending stuff on. Grrrrr)

Time to chop summat else up !(and no, not the ex wife).

post-16907-0-27539500-1537324921_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

Does anyone make the 7' bogie in white metal?

When were the steps removed from the 7' bogies?

Khris

Wizard/Comet Models do an Etched brass with whitemetal cosmetic overlays.

Anbrico cast whitemetal ones pop up on eBay regularly. C7 I think is the code.

Can anyone advise when the 9' bogies became the norm please?

Khris

One of the earliest uses was under the South Wales stock in the 1920's. and used to replace bogies on other stock later. For the earlier 9fts I use the ex Airfix autocoach bogies available from Peter's Spares.

One interesting conversion. Take the Hornby comp. Put on flat ends, use Autocoach bogies and make one of the earlier diagrams, I cannot recall the exact diagram at the moment, something like E115. There are two numbers, one each for LH and RH versions.

Mike Wiltshire

Can anyone advise when the 9' bogies became the norm please?

Khris

By no means a complete list:—

9' Heavy Double Bolster (Plate frames) = July 1929 (DRG 89130A)

9' Pressed Steel = Feb 1932 (94175B)

9' Pressed Steel Heavy = Sept 1933 (101426)

9' Pressed Steel Light = March 1935 (105415A)

Pete S.

Pete S.

Thanks Pete,

Appreciated.

Khris

• RMweb Premium

Edit...

Add the Fishbelly & Americans into that list too - they both came in 9ft & stretch your timeline back to Dreadnoughts & Toplights.

P.

The stores officer of the Scalefour society is in the process of producing fishbelly bogies, he has today given me the etches for the steps, which just leaves the castings. No timeline for these as he's currently concentrating on producing a 70ft steam railmotor, it was only because they had 8ft 6in fishbelly's and mentioned that I could do with some that he's started on the 9fts which were also on his to do list.

One of the earliest uses was under the South Wales stock in the 1920's. and used to replace bogies on other stock later. For the earlier 9fts I use the ex Airfix autocoach bogies available from Peter's Spares.

One interesting conversion. Take the Hornby comp. Put on flat ends, use Autocoach bogies and make one of the earlier diagrams, I cannot recall the exact diagram at the moment, something like E115. There are two numbers, one each for LH and RH versions.

Mike Wiltshire

Thanks for the info Mike, though surgery is required to the body.

The E115's had four 1st compartments and three 3rds.(against the four 3rd and three 1st's of the Hornby shell).

I have taken a razor saw to one and a second shell is sat quivering waiting to be butchered to the opposite hand)

post-16907-0-54747000-1538142630_thumb.jpg

post-16907-0-43060900-1538142699_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I forgot about one of the dimensional inaccuracies on the Colletts in that the last 1st class window on the corridor side is almost 2mm shorter than the others which threw out the doors lining up on the compartment side.

Too late for the first cut n'shut but the opposite hand (which is a real jigsaw) everything is in line.If anyone is thinking of trying to make one I recommend using a Brake 3rd as the basis as the 3rd class compartments are pretty much in the right spot to start, where as the composite the whole sides have to be stripped off.

Whilst I was in the mood I made another one of the original hand.

post-16907-0-50633700-1538170073_thumb.jpg

Edited by lofty1966
  • Like 4

I forgot about one of the dimensional inaccuracies on the Colletts in that the last 1st class window on the corridor side is almost 2mm shorter than the others which threw out the doors lining up on the compartment side.

Too late for the first cut n'shut but the opposite hand (which is a real jigsaw) everything is in line.If anyone is thinking of trying to make one I recommend using a Brake 3rd as the basis as the compartments are pretty much in the right spot to start.

Whilst I was in the mood I made another one of the original hand.

Doing a bit of work....are we?  :)

K

Pete S.

Just been having a trawl through the paperwork The 9ft heavies first appeared around 1923 on the last run of toplights and then as standard on the 1923 build 70ft South Wales stock.

Mike Wiltshire

Well due to Lofty1966's new squeeze’s resignation, I had a lot of time on my hands today so what's better than slaughtering some Colletts?

And my what a massacre!

As I had already started some articulated kitchen/diners they would need some thing to run with, so here are the two 3rd Class Saloons, Brake 3rd and the 1st Class Saloon.

Anyone got a drawing of the Brake 1st ?

I can do the compartments from standard spacings but does anyone know the overall length please?

post-16907-0-12395700-1538273184_thumb.jpg

post-16907-0-44401900-1538273259_thumb.jpg

Edited by lofty1966
  • Like 1