'New Colletts from Old'

Awwww shucks.

I've missed it too

Y'know, when I first saw photos of what you were doing at the time, I didn't know it was even possible to saw up a Hornby Collett and end up with a completely different one. The more it went on, the more I realised it was bloody ingenious.

The only problem now, of course, is that these old original Colletts seem to be either thin on the ground or starting to see a rise in perceived value....

The only problem now, of course, is that these old original Colletts seem to be either thin on the ground or starting to see a rise in perceived value....

Yup, some bloke on rmweb seems to be collaring the lot.

Thanx to Mike (Coachbogie)for a pic of the BSL kit sides alongside a ruler for dimensions I have cut n'shut a Brake 1st.(actually I made two but the first one I screwed up on a couple of the dimensions and it cheesed me off so much I lobbed it back in the "parts bin")

Anyhoo....MK2 made out of lots of basically scrap bits as it's all I have left and plenty of filler

P.S. I have run out of bodies to slice and dice!<edit> in case my a$$ of a probation officer is reading this I had better clarify that it is model coach bodies I'm chopping up not psycho ex wives. <ahem>

post-16907-0-18630300-1538453658_thumb.jpg

post-16907-0-24121400-1538453740_thumb.jpg

Edited by lofty1966
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Good to see you back in action again Lofty!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Thanks Peter.

Progress is being made but got sidetracked by a couple of K’s K14’s and some Shirescenes Brass sides onto some Ratio 4 wheelers along with 2 more (got six now in various stages of completion) Keyser E 116’s.

The Articulated sets are driving me slowly mad with all the repetition. Cutting away Hornby’s horrible corridor connectors and cleaning up the resulting mess.

I feel an aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggggh coming on !

I use the XURON Mini shear cutters and they work well.

It's the fact I had 7 vehicles to do.

14 connectors to snip off and clean up along with the moulded on handrails. Urrrgh.

Can't wait <cough> to start drilling all the handrail holes and bending all the wire and adding the cable jumpers.

Lofty1966 coming live-ish hanging from the ceiling beam soon.... tee hee

Before anyone pipes up and says there should be eight cars in the set.....I know !

I have two restaurant coaches at my mothers in the UK which I shall be collecting on my visit there in Dec !

Their mutually assured destruction into the last car is imminent. Mwah ha ha.

My suitcase is going to be overflowing with goodies on the return trip!

Edited by lofty1966

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Lofty,

You do some inspirational work - so much so I have two Bachmann Colletts, a razor saw set on a hair trigger and a number of sketches and measurements that were done today at Didcot of the window and door spacings of Collett Excursion Third C74 No. 1289...

https://didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/article.php/140/no-1289-collett-excursion-third

Keep up the good work!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 3

Hi Lofty,

You do some inspirational work - so much so I have two Bachmann Colletts, a razor saw set on a hair trigger and a number of sketches and measurements that were done today at Didcot of the window and door spacings of Collett Excursion Third C74 No. 1289...

https://didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/article.php/140/no-1289-collett-excursion-third

Keep up the good work!

All the best,

Castle

Thank you Mr C.

I look forward to reading about your exploits on the Baccy victims.

I'm weighing up whether I can change the handing on an ancient Airfix centenary brake without too much huffing and puffing next.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Mr C.

I'm weighing up whether I can change the handing on an ancient Airfix centenary brake without too much huffing and puffing next.

While I did mine with etched replacement sides on an Airfix core I did this mainly because I wanted the rebuilt windows. As I was reusing the Hornby doors I pretty much converted the model before adding the new sides. So I am sure it wouldn’t be too much more work to do it properly.

Likewise converting the sides from 2 CKs to model a full third would be worth a look.

Modelling the restaurant first would be a little more interesting doing the doors though (I ended up cutting a big hole in the side and fitting the doors that came with the etched sides here...)

While I did mine with etched replacement sides on an Airfix core I did this mainly because I wanted the rebuilt windows. As I was reusing the Hornby doors I pretty much converted the model before adding the new sides. So I am sure it wouldn’t be too much more work to do it properly.

Likewise converting the sides from 2 CKs to model a full third would be worth a look.

Modelling the restaurant first would be a little more interesting doing the doors though (I ended up cutting a big hole in the side and fitting the doors that came with the etched sides here...)

Thanx for the tips !

Thank you Mr C.

I have tried it. The bottom of the sides are very thin and i ended up putting a strengthing piece at the base. Then Comet brought out brass sides and I scrapped my attempt.

I still have the Brake compo which was less effort apart from all those window frames from microstrip

post-9992-0-26177000-1543788492_thumb.jpg

You can always produce the forgotten Centenary Full brake K42.5 !!!!!!!!

post-9992-0-38289200-1543788578_thumb.jpg

Always gets a double take when visitors see it in a train

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...