'New Colletts from Old'

Given the golden GWR rule that no two carriages in a train should be of the same type, you must have hundreds of carriages in total - or have you just not got round to modelling the others yet?

A casual scroll through this thread should give you some idea of the amount of diagrams I have produced.

I think you'll be surprised.

And the layout?????

Khris

That is now but a pipe dream :-/

Been told I have to find a new place to live in the New Year so looks like modelling will get put away yet again !

I’m so sick to death of all the BS I’m wading through!

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear this, lofty.  Keep modelling vehicles and bits to go on the layout that you will have one day, and keep the faith, brother.  I went through similar upheavals for far to great a proportion of my life, but it came right in the end.  Use the time to plan layouts of various sizes and types to suit a variety of putative future homes; this saved me a lot of time when I was finally able to get under way, and is a good pastime in it's own right, requiring little in the way of space and resources, just a surface to draw plans on and something to draw on and with, and a school geometry set.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Happy New year all you Collett bashers let me give you something to think about, The Royal Mail Coach, has any one attempted this marvel of engineering by Hornby ?

I've spent many hours look through book over the Christmas period and came across several photo's of this coach marshalled behind a King winging it's way to Cornwall.

I've found one in almost new condition ISTR 247 or another etch supplier doing the pick up nets in brass I've measured the coach and there is not much in it against a prototype 

the roof and the ends and all the pick up activation parts on the chassis will want some Lofty style engineering on them :butcher: and a new piece to go under the net area life would

be easy if an etched net or even something in plastic will do as it won't be operational could be found, any one got any idea about these parts.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Happy New year all you Collett bashers let me give you something to think about, The Royal Mail Coach, has any one attempted this marvel of engineering by Hornby ?

I've spent many hours look through book over the Christmas period and came across several photo's of this coach marshalled behind a King winging it's way to Cornwall.

I've found one in almost new condition ISTR 247 or another etch supplier doing the pick up nets in brass I've measured the coach and there is not much in it against a prototype

the roof and the ends and all the pick up activation parts on the chassis will want some Lofty style engineering on them :butcher: and a new piece to go under the net area life would

be easy if an etched net or even something in plastic will do as it won't be operational could be found, any one got any idea about these parts.

I have looked at it, I think there was something like 5mm of length missing but it was spread across the length. So rather difficult to sort out (I had hoped it would be one panel missing. I still think about chopping it up to correct it so would definitely be interested if someone has done it.

Post WW2 there was an LMS TPO coach used as a backup in the Paddington Penzance TPO

I think the two problems are the toplights along oneside and I dont think the side opposite the pick up apparatus should bulge out like it does.

I think the Hornby version is based on an LMS example

• RMweb Gold

I think the two problems are the toplights along oneside and I dont think the side opposite the pick up apparatus should bulge out like it does.

I think the Hornby version is based on an LMS example

Definitely based on an LMS diagram, I have the reference noted down somewhat but not to hand.

Very different in design to any GW prototype

• RMweb Premium

the roof and the ends and all the pick up activation parts on the chassis will want some Lofty style engineering on them :butcher: and a new piece to go under the net area life would

I used the 247 net/traductor arm parts on Bachmann Mk 1 TPOs (before Bachmann brought out the ready-fitted version). Very easy to use. I used fine dressmakers' tulle for the net itself.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all your comments I think this will be a near enough and not prefect model the overall size is OK for a L18 or L20 diagram,

The roof required everything to be removed and fitted out.

Complete replacement of the ends with offset corridor connectors.

New buffers with the cut outs.

Complete refit of the underframes.

Top lights require a bit of filler.

Net and frame to be made/sourced, thanks for that snippet St E' 

I'll let you know the progress as I go through the year it was cheap enough to bin if it doesn't work out .

Bob

• Like 1

Hammond if i recall 

BTW not forgotten the limning transfers just been a bit busy

mark

Hammond produced them back in the 1980's. Here are four of them but there were several other diagrams produced. Some of these diagrams were later covered by 247 in the Errol days.

post-9992-0-75341100-1546797112_thumb.jpg

Hammond also produced most of the clerestory TPO diagrams.

post-9992-0-29131100-1546797198_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Lovely stuff Mike & Twiggy, we started our family in the 80's so the railway went into boxes and was almost forgotten about till I went on a steam charter some years ago

it the mean time I would trawl the magazines to keep in touch and look at all these kits I couldn't justify the cost of stashing too many kits whilst bringing a family up,

it's a shame they were discontinued and scanning Ebay has not drawn too much success and when something appears sellers want lottery win amounts for

it which lead me down this path of if it looks like it that will do with cheap plastic toys a razor saw and styrene glue, life's too short as they say. 

81C - if you do follow that well-trodden path, I for one would be very interested to see your progress. I have been wondering about the GWR potential that the Hornby TPO might have for a while, but found it difficult to reconcile its LMS origins ( in other words, a simple repaint and detailing wouldn’t do ).

Tony

I looked at the GWR mailcoach for use for long blank side sections but didnt seem to be much use so never bothered going down that route.

Mike,that Clerestory Mail van is a thing of beauty!

Edited by lofty1966

• RMweb Gold

81C - if you do follow that well-trodden path, I for one would be very interested to see your progress. I have been wondering about the GWR potential that the Hornby TPO might have for a while, but found it difficult to reconcile its LMS origins ( in other words, a simple repaint and detailing wouldn’t do ).

Tony

There is not of difference in the overall size of the main body a scale 57' x 8' 6" for Dia L18 or L20 doors roughly in the right place I'm waiting to get to Didcot to measure their one

the roof has a better arch to it then other old coaches it requires the removal of some detail and replaced with something that looks the part, like I said earlier if it comes up close I'll

keep it if not it goes in the bin save the bogies 7' wb single bolsters and also the chassis as that has brushed up OK or it could even end up as a composite brake your world is your

oyster when you chop cheap models up.

I looked at the GWR mailcoach for use for long blank side sections but didnt seem to be much use so never bothered going down that route.

Mike,that Clerestory Mail van is a thing of beauty!

Any idea's for that one Lofty .   :jester:  

• Like 2