Pen Y Bont from page 39.

Andrew P

Yes they do - for both variants although the split head box variant is out of stock currently. They still have the later variant which is the more expensive one even though it looks exactly the same. Howes have upgraded their website so it was not as simple to find when I looked.

As they keep running out of stock this would seem to suggest the problem is not going away. The solution would be to give everyone who has one of these models a new set of motor bogies  but I guess hell would have to freeze over first.

Somebody on the GOG forum was doing a survey but although this appeared in the Gazette I don't know what follow up there has been

Paul R

Hi Paul, Jim Snowdon was the contact for some brass equivalents, they are £66 for a set of 4, which include postage.

Best regards

Craig.

Hi Andy,

I have a set of 37 ploughs here somewhere.

As fot the split gears, yes they are a problem, but for your use on your small layout, there is the option of removing one motor from the end that has the split gear issue. Then remove the offending gears and throw away!!!

2 benefits from this:

A) You will not have to buy a new gear straight away.

B) You would be able to power the loco with a Zimo MX645R @ about £100 rather than a MX696S @ about £150!!!!

The 37 will run, and pull a reasonable train with just one motor. I did a class 20 for Ramchester not long ago, removed one motor and used a Zimo MX645R and it is still pulling a decent train with no problems.

Just something else to think about!!!

Jinty ;)

Edited by Jintyman
  • Like 1

Hi Andy,

As fot the split gears, yes they are a problem, but for your use on your small layout, there is the option of removing one motor from the end that has the split gear issue. Then remove the offending gears and throw away!!!

2 benefits from this:

B) You would be able to power the loco with a Zimo MX645R @ about £100 rather than a MX696S @ about £150!!!!

The 37 will run, and pull a reasonable train with just one motor. I did a class 20 for Ramchester not long ago, removed one motor and used a Zimo MX645R and it is still pulling a decent train with no problems.

Jinty ;)

I LIKE :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

It looks like I have a 37 lined up, :sungum:  and will know all the final details on Tuesday.

Great to hear mate! Well done, sounds like the incentive and mojo are back on top form? ... I am hunting for a Class 31 if you can magic one up from somewhere - concluding that Heljan built less than Brush Traction!! LOL! They are rarer than anything.

Look forward to the growling videos on PYB. Have you got the 7mm layout up properly now? I am guessing KM has been relocated?

Rich

Hi Paul, Jim Snowdon was the contact for some brass equivalents, they are £66 for a set of 4, which include postage.

Best regards

Craig.

Yes I had heard that and I am sure they will fix the problem. However I object to buying a loco at not inconsiderable expense and then finding I have to pay £66 to sort out a problem that Heljan should address. This is really what the Guild should be doing and launching a class action against Heljan to get them to address the problem. 

I am sure that under Consumer Rights law I should be able to send these back for replacement which of course is now unlikely because there are no split box 37's available and probably I should have done something about it at the time. The answer is for Heljan to produce a load of spare chassis and swap them out - or pay Jim Snowdon!

Paul R

• Like 2

Great to hear mate! Well done, sounds like the incentive and mojo are back on top form? ... I am hunting for a Class 31 if you can magic one up from somewhere - concluding that Heljan built less than Brush Traction!! LOL! They are rarer than anything.

Look forward to the growling videos on PYB. Have you got the 7mm layout up properly now? I am guessing KM has been relocated?

Rich

Rich, There was a Heljan 31 on E-Bay last week, but I see it's gone now.

KM is still in TOPS, and it will go on Saturday, so come the early part of next week, I should have Pen set up on top of the framework.

• Like 1

Yes I had heard that and I am sure they will fix the problem. However I object to buying a loco at not inconsiderable expense and then finding I have to pay £66 to sort out a problem that Heljan should address. This is really what the Guild should be doing and launching a class action against Heljan to get them to address the problem. 

I am sure that under Consumer Rights law I should be able to send these back for replacement which of course is now unlikely because there are no split box 37's available and probably I should have done something about it at the time. The answer is for Heljan to produce a load of spare chassis and swap them out - or pay Jim Snowdon!

Paul R

Hornby had a similar issue with the Re Built West Country's, and I had to BUY spare gears.

Hornby also had a similar issue with the Chassis on the Class 31, with them crumbling and falling apart, and splitting the Body Shells. They started by doing a full no cost replacement, then when they ran out were doing a £100 voucher for spending in the Hornby Shop, but I believe that has now finished.

Hi Andy,

2 benefits from this:

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty.

Any extra info on single motoring your Heljan class 20 would be great I am planning to do it on my class 20 and 37. Mainly for the fact that I have a n NCE powercab so the less amps the loco's draw the better, saving money on sound chip will be great. I was wondering If a Hornby TTS chip might work in my class 20.

Many thanks Peter.

• Like 3

Hi Jinty.

Any extra info on single motoring your Heljan class 20 would be great I am planning to do it on my class 20 and 37. Mainly for the fact that I have a n NCE powercab so the less amps the loco's draw the better, saving money on sound chip will be great. I was wondering If a Hornby TTS chip might work in my class 20.

Many thanks Peter.

I'd be keen to know the answers to those questions as well Peter, thanks for asking the O Gauge Guru.

I'd be keen to know the answers to those questions as well Peter, thanks for asking the O Gauge Guru.

Guru?????

Do I meditate? Do I chant? Do I do Yoga?

No to all the above, it's official, I'm not a Guru!!!!!

Peter and Andy,

I simply remove one of the motors and its associated wiring, leaving the pick-ups in place so that both bogies still pick up.

This has the effect of halving the current draw and making it possible to run the loco off a 'OO' type decoder (Not sure what the TTS capabilities are). 

I use Zimo MX645R's in place of the bigger decoder as they have a 1.5amp current draw maximum and I think 1.8amp for short bursts.

I can still power a 2w 8ohm speaker with the MX645 so good sounds too.

The class 20 I did for Ramchester was tested on my Talyllyn layout with about 15 kit built wagons behind it, no stalling, no interruption to the sound, great running all round.

(There is a video on my YouTube channel showing the class 20 in use).

I understand that it is running the parcels train at Ramchester with no problems as well.

I do like the Zimo decoders as they have great 'driving' characteristics with the F2 momentary brake application, etc, which is why I tend to refer to them most of the time. You can all blame Paul Chetter for that!!!!

I hope that all helps, as I say though Peter, I'm not sure what the capabilities are with the TTS decoder.

One extra initiative is that once the motor has been removed, keep it to one side and if you ever wanted to revert it back to two motors it is straight forward to plop it back in.

Jinty ;)

Guru?????

Peter and Andy,

I simply remove one of the motors and its associated wiring, leaving the pick-ups in place so that both bogies still pick up.

This has the effect of halving the current draw and making it possible to run the loco off a 'OO' type decoder (Not sure what the TTS capabilities are). 

I use Zimo MX645R's in place of the bigger decoder as they have a 1.5amp current draw maximum and I think 1.8amp for short bursts.

The class 20 I did for Ramchester was tested on my Talyllyn layout with about 15 kit built wagons behind it, no stalling, no interruption to the sound, great running all round.

I understand that it is running the parcels train at Ramchester with no problems as well.

I do like the Zimo decoders as they have great 'driving' characteristics with the F2 momentary brake application, etc, which is why I tend to refer to them most of the time. You can all blame Paul Chetter for that!!!!

I hope that all helps, as I say though Peter, I'm not sure what the capabilities are with the TTS decoder.

One extra initiative is that once the motor has been removed, keep it to one side and if you ever wanted to revert it back to two motors it is straight forward to plop it back in.

Jinty ;)

Thanks Jints, great stuff, great reply, I will be following your lead and advice.

Now about that meditating on top of Snowdon last year? :no:  :scared:

Andy

I think there is enough weight in a Heljan diesel so that a single motor should handle the most you can throw at it. You probably would need 2 on a garden layout with 12  coaches on but not for most other things. The Little Loco Class 15 has a single motor but drives both bogies which I think will be the same for the class 22 they are developing. 

I have a couple of RJH diesels which have two motors driving single axles and linked with Delrin drives. Also perfectly adequate.

Paul R

Andy

I think there is enough weight in a Heljan diesel so that a single motor should handle the most you can throw at it. You probably would need 2 on a garden layout with 12  coaches on but not for most other things. The Little Loco Class 15 has a single motor but drives both bogies which I think will be the same for the class 22 they are developing. 

I have a couple of RJH diesels which have two motors driving single axles and linked with Delrin drives. Also perfectly adequate.

Paul R

Yes Paul, I think on my 16ft Layout, possibly up to 30ft if I ever go around the bend, :O  :no:  :no:  and make it a U shape, and a max of about 6 Wagons, it should cope admirably I would have thought. 

I was wondering If a Hornby TTS chip might work in my class 20.

Many thanks Peter.

Peter,

It'll play sound, work lights and maybe drive the model at very low speeds, but not all at the same time. LOL

Not something I would recommend as the TTS decoder is only rated for 500mA.

The ZIMO MX645 with a single motor Heljan is a good combination. Max continuous current 1.2A, peak 2.5A for 20 seconds (plenty enough to get the 20 rolling with son et lumiere).

Best regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger

Guru?????

Peter and Andy,

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty,

Thanks for the info, I will check out your video's. Looks like the TTS is a no go which is fine it was worth a thought. I am sure I saw your class 37 with sound but not the class 20.

I guess you just hard wire the decoders. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Peter,

It'll play sound, work lights and maybe drive the model at very low speeds, but not all at the same time. LOL

Not something I would recommend as the TTS decoder is only rated for 500mA.

The ZIMO MX645 with a single motor Heljan is a good combination. Max continuous current 1.2A, peak 2.5A for 20 seconds (plenty enough to get the 20 rolling with son et lumiere).

Best regards,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for clearing up a few things I will certainly look into the Zimo decoders and give the TTS a miss.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Andy,

Here are a few 37 videos with Zimo decoders and the 'Activedrive' sound file from Paul Chetter.

This soundfile is now available with Speed Lock from Digitrains here:  https://www.digitrains.co.uk/ecommerce/search/zs37-0asl-class-37-0-activedrive-sl.aspx

Here is the first Video:

The second:

And the third (Split box version):

Hope that they are of some help.

I have been using an old Sony minature disc video camera so the quality is not the best for video or audio.

A new digital camera is required.

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

Walked the Dog, or should I say, she walked me!

Then sat for a short while wondering what to do today, so I decided to fit the Paul Chetter fired Digitrains Chip to my Blue 08 / D3316, and the David / Jintyman Bass Speaker, it is a whopper David, but gives a very nice Sound, so two 08's now Sound chipped, along with the 25 and the Steam Stock.

I hope to confirm the 37 purchase soon, then I can get that one sorted as well. :sungum:

Time for a rest now. :O

• Like 3