Pen Y Bont from page 39.

Andrew P

You're enjoying your hobby Andy, which is the main thing. Modeling mojo's gone at this end so I am doing more reading and sitting around than anything else.  Your idea of an unseen DMU service is a novelty.... :biggrin_mini2:

Thanks Larry, I can make the Brum Brum noises and say; SORRY, you've just missed it guvnor, :O  hahha. but in Welsh of course. :sungum: .

The Mojo will be fully resored when KM has departed TOPS, and Pen is sitting up on the frames, and ready for some more scenic's.

I'm also considering ordering ANOTHER 45XX but in BR Black, early Crest, nice. :no:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 8

Lima 33 Project will be started again soon, Cab interiors have arrived and I will be making a start, not an awfull lot to do really. Build up the Cab interiors and paint them and add the Crew, change the Glazing, and make up the new Bogies. Then it's a case of bend up the Snow Ploughs and fit them and the pipework.

Should be all done by Christmas. :no:

Yes I know it's silly O clock in the morning, but I couldn't sleep. :scared:  :scratchhead:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

George T ( of George T's, 7mm Workbench fame,http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/55033-georgets-7mm-workbench/page-109#entry3260545) and I will be there on the Sunday, and we'll be due for a coffee break about 11, and that may also include a Sausage Cob or something. :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

George T ( of George T's, 7mm Workbench fame,http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/55033-georgets-7mm-workbench/page-109#entry3260545) and I will be there on the Sunday, and we'll be due for a coffee break about 11, and that may also include a Sausage Cob or something. :sungum:

Sunday is my preferred day, so I will keep a look out for you.

A man riding a sausage cob shouldn't be that difficult to see!

• RMweb Gold

Ah I think I shall miss you Andy, going with some friends on the Saturday! Make your you enjoy it and take it steady. I am leaving my credit card at home!!!

Rich

Ah I think I shall miss you Andy, going with some friends on the Saturday! Make your you enjoy it and take it steady. I am leaving my credit card at home!!!

Rich

That's a shame Rich, it would have been good to put a face to a name, I have some small purchases lined up I hope, so will need my cardS :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono: 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That's a shame Rich, it would have been good to put a face to a name, I have some small purchases lined up I hope, so will need my cardS :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono: 

Hi Andy,

Yes it is - never mind, we'll get a meet up sorted out once your feeling like it.  My purchases are always small things, trouble they have a large price tag!!  :onthequiet:  :onthequiet:  :nono:  :nono:

Im enjoying your progress with PYB as ever!

Rich

• Like 2

Not silly at all, Andy, a great time to drive on the M6 through Brum!

The M6....Aargh!  It's a nightmare. Mind you, the A55 so-called Expressway two-lane effort is also a pain in the butt. It should be a motorway at least on the Chester-St.Asaph section.

• Like 1

The M6....Aargh!  It's a nightmare. Mind you, the A55 so-called Expressway two-lane effort is also a pain in the butt. It should be a motorway at least on the Chester-St.Asaph section.

Larry, I thought a man of your means would have a private Helicopter, hahhah :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

You know Andy,

I wish I could find this little wandering single track branch that Jinty uses on the map ... from his pics there is a footpath crossing there, and the variety of locos that go down there mean it’s got to be worth a trip with the camera!!!

Rich

EDIT corrected Minty to Jinty!

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 2

I think I have a spare set of ploughs if you want them Andy but sorry I am not parting with my 37!

Don't forget if you do get one to get some spare gears because these are prone to the Heljan split gear problem which Heljan continue to deny. The centre head code 37 has a different gear - be careful if ordering from Howes

Paul R

I think I have a spare set of ploughs if you want them Andy but sorry I am not parting with my 37!

Don't forget if you do get one to get some spare gears because these are prone to the Heljan split gear problem which Heljan continue to deny. The centre head code 37 has a different gear - be careful if ordering from Howes

Paul R

Cheers Paul, I'm waiting to hear about one, but not sure if it's a split H/C or not, and will know then if it has ploughs, if not, I'll take you up on your kind offer.

Thanks for the info on the gears, I wasn't aware of that, although it will only be running in my 16ft Yard, doing a bit of shunting with a few wagons.

Thanks.

Andy

The gear problem is not related to use. I had mine from new and it sat in a box in a cupboard for two years before I got it out and tried it on the layout. The gear had split before I even used it. Same with the 47 which has the same drive train. The Hymek I bought second hand had the same issue and was received in that condition - possibly the reason it was sold. I had some spares in stock and soon fixed it. 

Pretty poor if you ask me when they are faulty from new. The drive has been changed in later models but it is known to affect the Hymek, 37 and 47. It may also affect the Deltic but I never had any problem with that

regards

Paul R

Edited by pwr

Andy

The gear problem is not related to use. I had mine from new and it sat in a box in a cupboard for two years before I got it out and tried it on the layout. The gear had split before I even used it. Same with the 47 which has the same drive train. The Hymek I bought second hand had the same issue and was received in that condition - possibly the reason it was sold. I had some spares in stock and soon fixed it. 

Pretty poor if you ask me when they are faulty from new. The drive has been changed in later models but it is known to affect the Hymek, 37 and 47. It may also affect the Deltic but I never had any problem with that

regards

Paul R

Do you know if Howes still do the spares?

Yes they do - for both variants although the split head box variant is out of stock currently. They still have the later variant which is the more expensive one even though it looks exactly the same. Howes have upgraded their website so it was not as simple to find when I looked.

As they keep running out of stock this would seem to suggest the problem is not going away. The solution would be to give everyone who has one of these models a new set of motor bogies  but I guess hell would have to freeze over first.

Somebody on the GOG forum was doing a survey but although this appeared in the Gazette I don't know what follow up there has been

Paul R

Yes they do - for both variants although the split head box variant is out of stock currently. They still have the later variant which is the more expensive one even though it looks exactly the same. Howes have upgraded their website so it was not as simple to find when I looked.

As they keep running out of stock this would seem to suggest the problem is not going away. The solution would be to give everyone who has one of these models a new set of motor bogies  but I guess hell would have to freeze over first.

Somebody on the GOG forum was doing a survey but although this appeared in the Gazette I don't know what follow up there has been

Paul R

Hi Andy,

Hope you don't mind me adding to the comments on the split gear problems.

A few weeks ago I came across this on YouTube which may give an insight into the problem and a possible solution

Might be worth a watch.

Grahame

Hi Andy,

Hope you don't mind me adding to the comments on the split gear problems.

A few weeks ago I came across this on YouTube which may give an insight into the problem and a possible solution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPeDgD5L638

Might be worth a watch.

Grahame

Yes thanks for that Grahame, that was an interesting watch.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

If you find that Howes get the split head code gears back in stock, let me know!  Touch wood (and touch it hard) all of my 37s and 47s have been ok, but I've got spares for the 47, just none for the 37, so will get some to have them in stock.

Rich

EDIT: Good luck on the 37 front!

Edited by MarshLane