Pen Y Bont from page 39.

Andrew P

BTW, did you see that Heljan are bringing out a 25 / 3 in OO? I had Heljan 26 and 27's in OO when I had Glen Roy, and they were so quiet and smooth.

My only experience of Heljan is two GWR 47XX's and both are very smooth runners. I will fit DCC and sound later on.

But yes, I will be keeping and eye on the Heljan Class 25 development mainly because I have a yen for the sound. The real 25's were a particular distraction to me in the 1970's as I could hear their characteristic engine sound and horn from my garden shed where I worked full time. If the loco sounded like it was being held at signals in Abergele, I would dash down there with the camera! 

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

For some reason, I photographed a pair of newish Rats on a returning Llandudno-Stoke in 1965, but I generally avoided diesels in those days. It was a different matter on a diesel railway and I followed them from 1976 until their demise on the last day. So modelling-wise, the temptation would be to have a blue-era funny hour.

Don't know about you Larry but I'm always havin a 'funny hour' ....usually lasts for about 24 hours at times  :jester: You seem to have mastered the sound of steam locomotives rather well judging from your excellent video's but the sound projects for diesels are truly excellent . You should take a long and serious look at the SLW Class 24 project which is way ahead of the pack at the current time. If I ever get to come over to view your layout I will make a point of bringing mine over for you temptation and enjoyment.  :sungum:

• Like 2

That's my excuse Larry, Pen will be primarily Steam, Pannier's, Prairies, and the Jinty, but on occasions when I get the URGE, the Blue Rat and the Black 08 / 13003 will make an appearance just to have a shunt about.

I need / want  / desire, a couple of Minerva Gunpowder Vans now for the Rats to play with.

BTW, did you see that Heljan are bringing out a 25 / 3 in OO? I had Heljan 26 and 27's in OO when I had Glen Roy, and they were so quiet and smooth.

Now then two 'Rats' playing with a couple of gunpower vans could be 'explosive'  :scared:  :scared: 

That's my excuse Larry, Pen will be primarily Steam, Pannier's, Prairies, and the Jinty, but on occasions when I get the URGE, the Blue Rat and the Black 08 / 13003 will make an appearance just to have a shunt about.

I need / want / desire, a couple of Minerva Gunpowder Vans now for the Rats to play with.

Ey up, Andy has already got an on eye back to 4mm already ... PM sent about the 7mm Rat 5191, can you please keep it safe for me till November, and bring it over then ;-)

Best regards

Craig

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 1

Don't know about you Larry but I'm always havin a 'funny hour' ....usually lasts for about 24 hours at times  :jester: You seem to have mastered the sound of steam locomotives rather well judging from your excellent video's but the sound projects for diesels are truly excellent . You should take a long and serious look at the SLW Class 24 project which is way ahead of the pack at the current time. If I ever get to come over to view your layout I will make a point of bringing mine over for you temptation and enjoyment.  :sungum:

The SLW 24 is the same sort of sound file by Paul Chetter as in my 25 I believe, and having heard your 24, I can certainly vouch for it being the deepest and most authentic sound I've heard.

Also Pauls Proto Drive and braking helps as well.

• Like 2

Ey up, Andy has already got an on eye back to 4mm already ... PM sent about the 7mm Rat 5191, can you please keep it safe for me till November, and bring it over then ;-)

Best regards

Craig

Boss eyed Peters they call me, :O hahah, one eye on the O, and one on the OO. :smoke:

I already have the Bachmann 25/3 with SWD Sound, so I don't need any more.

I am on the look out for an O Gauge Lima 33 in Blue though, I have the Sound Chip, and I did one many years ago with Flush Glazing and new Bogie Side frames that are all still available.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

Boss eyed Peters they call me, :O hahah, one eye on the O, and one on the OO. :smoke:

I am on the look out for an O Gauge Lima 33 in Blue though, I have the Sound Chip, and I did one many years ago with Flush Glazing and new Bogie Side frames that are all still available.

Im sure you do, but you do know the Heljan ones pop up from time to time don't you Andy?  A friend of mine in Weymouth has one with a Paul Chetter's audio (I think) and that is superb!

But its southern region of course, not LMS or LNER .. so one has to treat these things at arms length  :nono:

Rich

Im sure you do, but you do know the Heljan ones pop up from time to time don't you Andy?  A friend of mine in Weymouth has one with a Paul Chetter's audio (I think) and that is superb!

But its southern region of course, not LMS or LNER .. so one has to treat these things at arms length  :nono:

Rich

Yeah, the old purse strings wont run to a Heljan one mate, even as nice as they are, and it would only be run on a whim, now and again, it is after all, a proper Type 3. :sungum:

• Like 1

Andy,

Thanks for your continuing support and endorsement.

I have 4 x Lima 0 Gauge 33s in blue. They are all 'as new' and as far as I know have never been run. I bought them from a model shop which closed down quite a few years ago for a project which was never started.

If you are interested, please email or PM me.

Best regards,

Paul

Hi Andy,

Hope you are enjoying the nice warm weather. Cold and wet here in Oz. 

Young David has done a great job on your Rat, she sounds good too. Which brings me to my question. I believe you use a Gaugemaster controller? Reason I ask is I am looking at putting sound into my Peak and class 20 and I am being told my NCE powercab might not have the Amps required. Have you had any problems with your controller?

Cheers Peter.

Andy,

Thanks for your continuing support and endorsement.

I have 4 x Lima 0 Gauge 33s in blue. They are all 'as new' and as far as I know have never been run. I bought them from a model shop which closed down quite a few years ago for a project which was never started.

If you are interested, please email or PM me.

Best regards,

Paul

Cheers Paul, PM sent re 33's.

Hi Andy,

Hope you are enjoying the nice warm weather. Cold and wet here in Oz. 

Young David has done a great job on your Rat, she sounds good too. Which brings me to my question. I believe you use a Gaugemaster controller? Reason I ask is I am looking at putting sound into my Peak and class 20 and I am being told my NCE powercab might not have the Amps required. Have you had any problems with your controller?

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter, I've recently switched to a 3.5Amp ACE Sig naTrack for the O Gauge, because I can name and show all 28 functions on one screen rather than having crib notes laying around, they also do a 5Amp version as well, so it depends on how many Locos your running at any one time.

post-9335-0-88987500-1531398510.png

post-9335-0-33322900-1531398554.jpg

post-9335-0-29131400-1531398629.jpg

post-9335-0-69161800-1531399049_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-35103100-1531399111_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-85060600-1531399164_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-01316800-1531398688.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

Hi Peter, I've recently switched to a 3.5Amp ACE Sig naTrack for the O Gauge, because I can name and show all 28 functions on one screen rather than having crib notes laying around, they also do a 5Amp version as well, so it depends on how many Locos your running at any one time.

attachicon.gifACE_DCC_Controller.png

attachicon.gifACE_Screen2.jpg

attachicon.gifACE_Screen3.jpg

attachicon.gifSig naTrack.jpg

Thanks Andy, that looks like a great little controller, not sure I want to get rid of my Powercab just yet though.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Thanks Andy, that looks like a great little controller, not sure I want to get rid of my Powercab just yet though.

Cheers Peter.

I still have my Prodigy for KM OO Gauge.as I tend to use just basic functions on there, horn, lights, sound etc.

attachicon.gifACE_DCC_Controller.png

attachicon.gifACE_Screen2.jpg

attachicon.gifACE_Screen3.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_5138.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5140.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5139.JPG

attachicon.gifSig naTrack.jpg

Andy,

When you showed this controller on the thread a couple of months ago I went to their website and had a look.

Unfortunately for me it has a vital feature missing - macros to operate the points. I have 13 micros set up in my Powercab which makes selecting the train's path through the pointwork really easy.

If  that feature is added I would be very tempted by this unit.

Regards,

Dave

• Like 1

Andy,

When you showed this controller on the thread a couple of months ago I went to their website and had a look.

Unfortunately for me it has a vital feature missing - macros to operate the points. I have 13 micros set up in my Powercab which makes selecting the train's path through the pointwork really easy.

If  that feature is added I would be very tempted by this unit.

Regards,

Dave

Give them a ring Dave, there only in Manchester, and may be able to help, unfortunately I know nothing about Macro or how it works.

Give them a ring Dave, there only in Manchester, and may be able to help, unfortunately I know nothing about Macro or how it works.

I've just been through the online manual again and the facility is not mentioned - Oh well ..............

Nice to see you back in action - gently I hope :yes: :yes:

Dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday, a parcel arrived, so I sat in TOPS with the door open, as it was a lot cooler, and made a start.

It's a Lima Class 33, I've fitted a spare ESU 33 sound chip, (although this may well be changed for one of Paul Chetters Zimo offerings and a David / Jintyman Speaker at a later date.

I've fitted a Bass Reflex Speaker in the Fuel Tank.

It will have the following mods done to it;

Flush Glazing,

Cab interior,

New Bogie side frames,

Finer flange wheel sets.

Brass Oleo Buffers,

Pipes and Snow Ploughs at both ends,

Crew,

weathering as per the 25,

and more weight added to the chassis,

post-9335-0-01996500-1532187078_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-87998800-1532187182_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-58689400-1532187219_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-92022600-1532187256_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-01996500-1532187078_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-87998800-1532187182_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-58689400-1532187219_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-92022600-1532187256_thumb.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Yesterday, a parcel arrived, so I sat in TOPS with the door open, as it was a lot cooler, and made a start.

It's a Lima Class 33, I've fitted a spare ESU 33 sound chip, (although this may well be changed for one of Paul Chetters Zimo offerings and a David / Jintyman Speaker at a later date.

I've fitted a Bass Reflex Speaker in the Fuel Tank.

It will have the following mods done to it;

Flush Glazing,

Cab interior,

New Bogie side frames,

Finer flange wheel sets.

Brass Oleo Buffers,

Pipes and Snow Ploughs at both ends,

Crew,

weathering as per the 25,

and more weight added to the chassis,

attachicon.gifIMG_5141.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5144.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5146.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5147.JPG

So a few 'tweaks' but not on the same level as Triggers broom then, I assume a few of the original bits are remaining!!!

So a few 'tweaks' but not on the same level as Triggers broom then, I assume a few of the original bits are remaining!!!

Yeah, handle and head will be new, hahha.

The body is fairly accurate, although I believe not perfect, but that's not to big a worry, the Roof Fan is just about acceptable, as are the side grills, but both would be a job out of my league anyway, plus would involve some repainting. Once grubby and weathered it shouldn't look to bad from 3 ft away.

I think the biggest plus will be the underside, Bogie Frames, Pipes and Ploughs, and inside, a proper Cl 33 interior.

The whole project should come out at about £250 inc sound, so a lot cheaper than a new Heljan one, (and that's if I could find a Blue one).

• Like 4

A lovey steady day with George T and mates Ian and Mark, (sorry guys. I forgot your RM Web names).

Breakfast at Morrisons, then up the hill to the Club for one of our Friday Running days on the O Gauge, (we meet every other Friday, 9 till 4). They had the usual Fish and Chip Lunch, 16 of them,  but we were still full from breakfast so gave it a miss. I connected the Dornoch Branch up to DCC, and then we ended up with O Gauge Dapol Jinty, Minerva Pannier, Heljan Class 25, Lima 33 in BR Blue, and JLTRT 58 in Railfreight Red Stripe, a pair of Class 50's, one in Blue and one in NSE, and then an American Big Boy and another American Steamer, so a great session with loads of variety.

Back to TOPS at 1pm, and a small run on Pen, and KM, and then at 2pm called it a day.

Copied from KM.

• Like 5

And on a tight budget, :O  I paid for George's Full English brekkie, as well as my own Scrambled Eggs on Toast.

If you’re on a tight budget there’s a cafe in Swansea Market that had sign apologising for increasing the price of their Full English by 50p. The new price was £2.49p!!!!

Tim T

Modelling the Cynon Valley in EM

• Like 2