Pen Y Bont from page 39.

Andrew P

If you’re on a tight budget there’s a cafe in Swansea Market that had sign apologising for increasing the price of their Full English by 50p. The new price was £2.49p!!!!

Tim T

Modelling the Cynon Valley in EM

Good info, but I think the breakfast would be cold by the time it reached Andy.

Best regards,

Paul

• Like 1

Good info, but I think the breakfast would be cold by the time it reached Andy.

Best regards,

Paul

And talking of breakfast Paul, just ordered one of your Chips from Digitrains for my New Dapol 08 that's on  it's way.

Hi Andy,

Young David has done a great job on your Rat, she sounds good too. Which brings me to my question. I believe you use a Gaugemaster controller? Reason I ask is I am looking at putting sound into my Peak and class 20 and I am being told my NCE powercab might not have the Amps required. Have you had any problems with your controller?

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter, I've recently switched to a 3.5Amp ACE Sig naTrack for the O Gauge, because I can name and show all 28 functions on one screen rather than having crib notes laying around, they also do a 5Amp version as well, so it depends on how many Locos your running at any one time.

attachicon.gifACE_DCC_Controller.png

attachicon.gifACE_Screen2.jpg

attachicon.gifACE_Screen3.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_5138.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5140.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5139.JPG

attachicon.gifSig naTrack.jpg

Thanks Andy, that looks like a great little controller, not sure I want to get rid of my Powercab just yet though.

Cheers Peter.

Just as an add on to the above, on Friday, I had the Heljan 25 with a Zimo Sound Chip fitted running up and down the 60 + ft Dornoch Layout, PLUS the Lima 33 with the ESU Sound chip in ticking over in the yard, along with the Minerva Pannier and Dapol Jinty simmering in the Yard, AND the American Big Boy and the other American Loco hissing away, and also running one of 3 JLTRT Class 58 or 50's with big motors and Delrin Chain Drive, all off my 3.5 amp Sig naTrack.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

Re the power capability of the NCE PowerCab, I have had two locos running and several simmering with just the basic handset.  However, as I don't have any diesels this may not hold true for Heljans and possibly Limas.  I am thinking of getting the 5amp booster for the PowerCab but not until I have completed Penmaenpool.  It is quite expensive!

A Gauge O Big Boy!  I have seen an even bigger scale Big Boy, at Warley Show.  I have not seen the real thing but have traveled behind the next best one, the UP Challenger.  That was quite an experience:

post-20733-0-20076400-1532857056_thumb.jpg

This was taken at a photo run by northwest of Houston on a day return trip to College Station.  I think the consist was 21 passenger cars.  It reached 62mph on the return journey.

Paul

• Like 3

Re the power capability of the NCE PowerCab, I have had two locos running and several simmering with just the basic handset.  However, as I don't have any diesels this may not hold true for Heljans and possibly Limas.  I am thinking of getting the 5amp booster for the PowerCab but not until I have completed Penmaenpool.  It is quite expensive!

A Gauge O Big Boy!  I have seen an even bigger scale Big Boy, at Warley Show.  I have not seen the real thing but have traveled behind the next best one, the UP Challenger.  That was quite an experience:

attachicon.gif78963484_799beafb78_o.jpg

This was taken at a photo run by northwest of Houston on a day return trip to College Station.  I think the consist was 21 passenger cars.  It reached 62mph on the return journey.

Paul

I wasn't that impressed with the Sound Chip in the Big Boy, no real bark to the exhaust and a very weak whistle / chime, not sure who's chip it was.

The way the UP steam team used to run their two steam locos, 3985 and 844, was “let’s make some noise and lots of smoke”

That was Steve Smith’s idea of showing off their capability. He has retired and the new management apparently follow a greener philosophy, so less smoke, less noise prevails.

I have some old VHS videos of SP steam around Fresno, California (originally filmed around 1950) and Steve Smith was right!

Off topic, I know, but just a reminder that heritage railways don’t always show things the way they really were. Dressing down a loco’s pristene paint job is not the whole story!

Paul

Now that I've removed most of Kings Moreton, and sorted out my Work Bench, I have set up the Spray Booth on a permanent basis, which should help when I want to dirty the 08. :O

post-9335-0-75379100-1533240602_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

I really must sort out the dark hole that masquerades as a work area. 

Hahahah Chris, mine was the same, with Kings Moreton out of the way, and Pen Y Bont, stored away for now, I can actually sit at the bench, I expect it will end up as a dumping ground again very soon, hahah.

As it was. Yes it WAS behind there somewhere.

post-9335-0-60762500-1533241719_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Stored away? Don't tell me you are planning to sell Pen Y Bont too??

Hahaha, No Andy, not until it's finished, and that could be some time yet. loads to do on it once KM has gone, and I can put it up on the frame as a permanent set up. 

• Like 3

Untidy workbenches, in fact anything untidy does my head in. My missus, on the other hand, can't stand tidy with a vengeance!  When I rearranged the cutlery drawer recently, she just wanted to mess it all up again. Go figure!

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

Hahahah Chris, mine was the same, with Kings Moreton out of the way, and Pen Y Bont, stored away for now, I can actually sit at the bench, I expect it will end up as a dumping ground again very soon, hahah.

As it was. Yes it WAS behind there somewhere.

attachicon.gifRunning Session 003.JPG

Ooh now KM is going, that leaves plenty of room to extend PB !!!

Best regards

Cracking g

Untidy workbenches, in fact anything untidy does my head in. My missus, on the other hand, can't stand tidy with a vengeance!  When I rearranged the cutlery drawer recently, she just wanted to mess it all up again. Go figure!

I DO intend to keep it tidier, than it was Larry, and still aiming to total TIDY :sungum: at all times.

Ooh now KM is going, that leaves plenty of room to extend PB !!!

Best regards

Cracking g

Naaa Craig, PB will need finishing in it's present form, then decide from there what to do next, sell it, and build bigger, or keep it. I only have 3ft to spare so can't extend it by much now.

Just re joined the GOG again, for the 3rd time. I joined back in the 80's when I was doing a Lima 33 Conversion, then again in 2009 when I joined the Gresley and Wychnor Model Railway Group, and built St Budoc and Trebudoc.

At least it will save me a bit getting into Telford next Month.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just re joined the GOG again, for the 3rd time. I joined back in the 80's when I was doing a Lima 33 Conversion, then again in 2009 when I joined the Gresley and Wychnor Model Railway Group, and built St Budoc and Trebudoc.

At least it will save me a bit getting into Telford next Month.

Thanks Andy,

You've reminded me that mine must be due for renewal!  Hope to be able to say hello at Telford (fingers crossed I get there).  How are you feeling now its cooled bit? Doing ok I hope?

Rich

Thanks Andy,

You've reminded me that mine must be due for renewal!  Hope to be able to say hello at Telford (fingers crossed I get there).  How are you feeling now its cooled bit? Doing ok I hope?

Rich

Thanks Rich, feeling a lot better, and getting revved up with the 08 arriving tomorrow, (thought it would be here today, but Hermes now says it's tomorrow).

Also ordered the Dapol Prairie today, Green late Crest, just as I had on Trebudoc, but a different running Number.

post-9335-0-70339900-1533334496_thumb.jpg

Photo courtesy of Andy York.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rich, feeling a lot better, and getting revved up with the 08 arriving tomorrow, (thought it would be here today, but Hermes now says it's tomorrow).

Also ordered the Dapol Prairie today, Green late Crest, just as I had on Trebudoc, but a different running Number.

Glad to hear it Andy,

Keep plodding on as they say :P  You'll be delighted with Jinty's speaker in a 08.  My neighbours think they are next to the railway the odd time I start mine up :)  :jester:

Rich

Glad to hear it Andy,

Keep plodding on as they say :P  You'll be delighted with Jinty's speaker in a 08.  My neighbours think they are next to the railway the odd time I start mine up :)  :jester:

Rich

Yeah, this will be my 5th one, :O  :no:  I had one in each of my original Black, Green and Blue ones, then SOLD them all, :scared:  :scared:  now I have one in my Black one, and soon my Blue one as well. :sungum: 

NOTE TO SELF = Don't sell them this time. :stinker:  :senile:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yeah, this will be my 5th one, :O :no: I had one in each of my original Black, Green and Blue ones, then SOLD them all, :scared: :scared: now I have one in my Black one, and soon my Blue one as well. :sungum:

NOTE TO SELF = Don't sell them this time. :stinker: :senile:

Have you thought of nailing them to the baseboard to stop you selling them? Oh, hang on ... there’s a minor flaw in that plan I think!! Hehe.

Have you set a time period for P-Y-B or is this the start of your 1980s fleet for variety?

Rich

• Like 2

Have you thought of nailing them to the baseboard to stop you selling them? Oh, hang on ... there’s a minor flaw in that plan I think!! Hehe.

Have you set a time period for P-Y-B or is this the start of your 1980s fleet for variety?

Rich

Pen will be a bit flexible, mainly late Steam to run the B Set and Autocoach, but if the Rat and Blue 08 come out to play, (plus the other Rat when it comes out), then it will represent an almost Freight only and Trip workings, with an (UNSEEN) DMU Service, (as I haven't got one, and don't really want one).

I have a Plan for a small Goods Yard Layout once Pen is finished, sold and gone, but that's some time away yet, I need to finish Pen to the same standard as Trebudoc was, and maybe even get it in a Mag at some time.

You never know, I regretted selling Trebudoc, so Pen may have a much longer life yet. :sungum:

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

an (UNSEEN) DMU Service, (as I haven't got one, and don't really want one).

One of the new Dapol 121/122s would probably fit quite nicely in BR green .. oh you said you didn't want one tho didn't you ... sorry if I've put temptation your way  :onthequiet:

Nice to keep the plan for different era's however, gives you variety in what you can run and do.

Rich

• Like 1