Great Western Railway Journal No 101

Neal Ball

Perhaps the editorial team decided to wrap everything up with a bumper edition and became terrified at the number of pages that would be involved.  The John Bull printing set must be glowing red hot!  My local purveyor is still displaying a couple of copies of 102, and they tend not to take the previous issue of any mag down until the next has come into the stock room. Unless it has sold out, of course.

Oh well, we'll just have to Wait And See!

• 2 weeks later...

Great Western Railway Journal has been one of the best of the prototype magazines available. From the comments in the editorial and the number of articles written by a chore of people it has obviously been a labour of love for quite some time. 

Is the lateness annoying? Not really, it turns up when it does and I know it will be good.

While I saw it in our local news agencies (In Australia) from very early on and grabbed a few copies to read it was reading issue 17 that really got me in. This came at a time when I was questioning what I wanted to model. The upshot was that I changed to modelling the GWR and have enjoyed the path a great deal.

I look forward to 103 arriving but I shall be sad that it marks the passing of one of the most informative and inspiring magazines that has been published.

Craig W

• RMweb Premium

I'm not annoyed with the continual lateness, when it arrives it's always worth it.

I just don't want to find it's been lost in the post and I can't get a copy! I have the full collection from the Preview issue.

• RMweb Gold

Great Western Railway Journal has been one of the best of the prototype magazines available.

… Is the lateness annoying? Not really, it turns up when it does and I know it will be good.

… I look forward to 103 arriving but I shall be sad that it marks the passing of one of the most informative and inspiring magazines that has been published.

Craig W

I'm not annoyed with the continual lateness, when it arrives it's always worth it.

What - "the late" Western Railway Journal?

I know - terrible joke - and we don't yet know if it's too early to write this excellent journal's obituary - but I shall definitely miss it.

I wonder if / when we might start to see "bookazines" of articles compiled from old issues of GWRJ - but, again, I'm not holding my breath.

Huw.

I'll keep an eye open for it towards the end of next week/beginning of the week after then!

It'll be sadly missed, not only for the content but also for the exercise of going to the newsagents once a week after the suggested publication date.......

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well, the 12 copies of 102 that were in WHS Didcot had gone yesterday, but no sign of 103 yet.

I can only presume it’s a last spectacular X-Factor style anticipatory building of tension prior to publication. Even by GWRJ standards it’s very impressive. It will be much missed.