Great Western Railway Journal No 101

Neal Ball

Picked up a copy from my local newsagents last week (copies in local WHS too...) but due to the Christmas/New Year botheration, I'd not had a chance to look through it,apart from admiring the Great Bear centerfold!  No wonder the mag was on the top shelf.... 

Its sad to see that quarterly publication will cease after issue 103 but it has crossed my mind through the last couple of years that they must run out of first hand sources sooner rather than later and I'd rather see the GWRJ come to an orderly halt rather than fade away or lose its voice and crash under new management.

I'll miss it.

• RMweb Gold

They did well to reproduce the drawings of The Great Bear; the originals must have been very faded.

Depends how they've been stored.  I have printed stuff from the 1890s which has, and is, surviving far better than stuff from the 1940s and 1960s and we got an excellent print off another Swindon drawing of about the same age as those for 111.

Forgive me if this is a silly question but have any subscription copies arrived?

Chris, who has been out of the country for a fortnight

It seems that Postie tried to deliver mine on 23rd December, when I was away.  D'oh ...

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Well , January as gone by.! Was it the 23rd  that 101 was due.?

As anyone heard or seen anything.?. Stupid question I know.!

Keith.

There was a suggestion somewhere that the publishers were "on top of the situation" regarding issue 101, but I think that proposed publication dates might be regarded as post-truth promises. Its a possibility that we're not supposed to discuss them anymore.

We can live in hope....  :scratchhead:

It is out, featuring the final part of Birmingham Snow Hill, Newbury operations, More St Ives in close up, 4259 in close up, lad porter at Yelverton plus informed, even illustrated, letters.

A really good isue I think.

Simon

That is great news.!  How about the next article on the Castle class, is that in this issue.?

Keith.

It is out, featuring the final part of Birmingham Snow Hill, Newbury operations, More St Ives in close up, 4259 in close up, lad porter at Yelverton plus informed, even illustrated, letters.

A really good issue I think.

Yes, it has popped up here today in WHS Ealing. A lot in it to stimulate interest, especially the detail photos of 4259.

Thanks guys, got mine today.

I will miss GWRJ even if it is late... surely their must be more material out there to keep it going? Irwell Press?

There may well be more out there but look at the authorship of articles in recent issues and you'll see the same few contributors providing the bulk of the content.

I too will miss it when it ends.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...