RMweb

The Grand Tour, Amazon Prime

jjb1970

But its not quite making changes for the sake of entertainment is it? Its completely lying about misrepresenting the capacity of the Electric Car! And why? It adds nothing to the entertainment. 

Can I ask why you watch it?

The simple solution would be not to, surely?

If it were to become a serious, factual show, it would (imho) run the risk of becoming incredibly boring and viewer figures would doubtless plummet leading to cancellation.

• RMweb Gold

But its not quite making changes for the sake of entertainment is it? Its completely lying about misrepresenting the capacity of the Electric Car! And why? It adds nothing to the entertainment. 

In the same way as placing a pick up on a tower block and demolishing it, didn't add to the safety spec.

The programme is about petrol heads, not tree huggers with jumpers powered by llama dung.

• Like 2

I've had the pleasure of having actually MET all three of these blokes and I can say the following with the knowledge of first hand experience:

- Jeremy Clarkson is an extremely nice man (as long as he hasn't got a drink in him apparently) who has a genuine interest in engineering, technology and history. When someone disagrees with him, he is interested in finding out their point of view and debating those differences. His 'orang-utan' character is just that, a character. One which, in print and on the screen, has made him an exceptionally wealthy and famous man, so why on earth would he stop doing it?

-James May is not as dull or as fuddy duddy as the series makes him appear. Again 'captain slow' is someone who he portrays on TV rather than his actual personality

-Richard Hammond is the closest to his TV persona. He's a loud ex-brummie who enjoys fast cars and country life.

Now, the entire TV series since they were together as a three-man band on Top Gear to the present episode of the Grand Tour has never come close to being factual. Its entertainment, and its entertaining to see three blokes mucking about in cars that most of us could only afford if we sold every other worldly possession in the world. it is fun above all other things - what does converting a VW van into a canal boat prove? Nothing, but I laughed until my sides hurt :) 

Besides, on those few occasions when they did become serious (looking in the window of the Jensen and TWR factories, The armed forces rally team, The aftermath of hurricane Katrina in the American special, the tribute to Ayrton Senna) the contrast to their usual tone make it all the more noteworthy. 

Its never going to be all things to all people, and rattling off a series of facts and figures instead of being funny will simply make people turn off the TV and then nothing gets made. Next thing is that people will be annoyed that zebras are stripey :banghead:

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Surely it wouldbe more useful for journalists to deconstruct and analyse the misrepresentation, distortion and outright lies that appear regularly in newspapers, the TV news media, "serious" documentaries and in opinion shaping social media sites and which are threatening democratic processes rather than whip themselves into a self righteous fit over a light entertainment show? Maybe that'd rock the boat, need serious integrity and commitment and hard work, much easier to have a go at something which is unashamedly just entertainment.

- Jeremy Clarkson is an extremely nice man (as long as he hasn't got a drink in him apparently) who has a genuine interest in engineering, technology and history.

Despite the anti-public transport persona on TV, he is actually a railfan. In one of his books he wrote about his interest in things built in his home town (Doncaster) and about Deltics. Some (perhaps a lot) of it came out on the footplate of Tornado.

Cheers

David

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

They just enjoy dangling the bait and letting the fish bite ;)

They won a 'best unscripted' show award and made a point of hiding the script on screen. All entertainment tv and a lot of the 'light news' is staged with all sorts of fiddles. They take the piss out of American cars and electric cars, especially Tesla since Elon Musk took Clarkson to court and lost.

Forget Don't Panic, maybe they need a Don't take this seriously header ;)

• Like 1

Watched episode 2. Another classic race with a predictable and scripted but enjoyable finish. Just saying, there are buses that run non-stop from BUF to Niagara Falls. :)

The Stigletto as the new test driver surprised me, although being from Yorkshire maybe it's not so surprising!

Cheers

David

• RMweb Premium

Episode 2 struck me as being much better than episode 1. I guess a bit like the first series when the first episode was weaker than some of the others.

• 1 year later...

Are there any Columbians in the audience? 

Just finished the first 3 episodes of season 3. I thought the American muscle car segment was strung out a bit too long but otherwise very enjoyable. The McLaren Senna was just mind blowing.

The Columbia special was the classic TG adventure/challenge on a bigger budget, although some of it (e.g. the volcano) seemed to repeat the Patagonia special. 

Cheers
David

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Excellent episode in China this week, may be a bit of an eye opener to many. I have been driven over the Shanghai Yangtze crossings a few times and when you see some of the civil engineering projects in China it does make you realise just how far the country has developed and in such a short time. When I first visited China in the early 90's it was a rather undeveloped country, now it is our country and the other Western countries that look a bit backwards by comparison.

• RMweb Gold

I think that’s because it’s an entertainment show, not a documentary. (I have heard rumours that there are some Scots who don’t deep fry all their meals!)

This link earlier in the thread points out similar inconsistencies in an earlier show

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2017/12/a-forensic-debunking-of-the-grand-tours-trip-to-switzerland/

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched episode 9. The piece on the astronaut cars was great and the Citroen C3 was very much in the style of the Ford Fiesta (supermarket car chase and Royal Marines landing) from TG days.

Cheers

David

Edited by DavidB-AU
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Watched episode 10. They are really getting into their stride. I will admit to being one of the (at the time) 330,000 viewers who watched James May unbox a car for the entire 17 minutes, although at the time obviously nobody knew what it was for! It now has over 1.1 million views.

Here it is in its entireley.

Cheers
David