Mousa Models Wagon Kits

billbedford

2 hours ago, McW said:

I have several of the Highland wagons which are very nice. Used Gibson waisted bearings  and P4 wheels which made the W-irons and axle boxes splay out which meant the springing system for me was a fail. In the end I built them rigid and being short wheel base and with a bit of weight they work fine. Might be something to consider though Bill.

The trick in this case would be to gently stone down and polish, with some fine wet-n-dry, the axle points. 

Pin-point bearings have been notorious for not having a 'standard' so each manufacture uses slightly different specs. 

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, McW said:

I have several of the Highland wagons which are very nice. Used Gibson waisted bearings  and P4 wheels which made the W-irons and axle boxes splay out which meant the springing system for me was a fail. In the end I built them rigid and being short wheel base and with a bit of weight they work fine. Might be something to consider though Bill.

8 hours ago, billbedford said:

The trick in this case would be to gently stone down and polish, with some fine wet-n-dry, the axle points. 

Pin-point bearings have been notorious for not having a 'standard' so each manufacture uses slightly different specs. 

I would imagine using Bill's own axleguard/wheelbase setting jig would solve the problem, works perfectly for me on other kits, although I have never built one of Bills.

https://www.eileensemporium.com/materials-for-modellers/product/wagon-wheelbase-jig-4mm/category_pathway-1286

Mike.

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I would imagine using Bill's own axleguard/wheelbase setting jig would solve the problem, works perfectly for me on other kits, although I have never built one of Bills.

https://www.eileensemporium.com/materials-for-modellers/product/wagon-wheelbase-jig-4mm/category_pathway-1286

Mike.

Mike,

I think the issue is the length of the axle, the depth of the bearing recess in the pinpoint bearing and the width between the inside faces of the bearing carrier or w-iron.

The EMGS standards quote 26mm axle length, 1.25 mm depth of bearing recess with a bearing flange thickness of .25mm. That gives an effective 1.0 mm depth of bearing recess from the inside face of the bearing  carrier. So the distance between the inside faces of the bearing carrier or w-iron should be 24.0mm.

I have found axles to be pretty consistent at 26.0mm but as Bill has pointed out, the bearings vary, as does the distance between the w-iron/bearing carrier inside face from kit to kit. For this reason I keep a stock of pinpoint bearings from different makers and sometimes have to mix and match these to suit the model. 

Jol

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

So... What have I done?

Well, any solution that was going to mean a lot of work converting existing designs was never going to happen. 

So I went for a minimalist approach and modified the existing bearing carriers by putting a pip on one side. This will engage in a dimple on the inside of the solebar to give a positive location for the bearing carrier to be glued in place for fixed suspensions. Of course the bearing carrier can be reversed, with the pip on the wheel side, to enable a sprung suspension. 

1838664154_BearingCarrier.png.5e270c0857da0a741b561b2e52cae6c6.png

At the same time as adding the dimple to the solebar, I've moved the inner face of the solar out slightly to deal with the problem of splayed axleboxes. 

All orders printed from last week will have the new bearing carriers. 

Hi Bill, 

Looking good, will they be available separately? Also......I recall on your old website a plan to produce a Highland Brake van, is this still a plan?

Thanks Paul

4 hours ago, McW said:

Hi Bill, 

Looking good, will they be available separately?

I hadn't thought about supplying them, they probably wouldn't fit on any other w-irons. 

4 hours ago, McW said:

Also......I recall on your old website a plan to produce a Highland Brake van, is this still a plan?

Yes.  I want to get back to designing new stuff, instead of just updating things I've done before. 

Edited by billbedford
positive change to negative

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bill, I’ve just discovered your website and I’m intrigued by the carriage overlays, particularly for the SR TPO and the LMS royal train carriages. Can you confirm which, if any, RTR carriage is best to adapt these for or if a kit manufacturer (Ian Kirk?) is the best avenue to go down?

Many thanks

The SR TPOs had the same basic body as the standard Mausell coaches. So you can use any of them as a basis. Though the TPOs had offset gangways on the ends. 

The LMS royal carriages are more difficult. I can't think of another prototype coach that was 69' long. It may be possible to use a BR Mk2 coach for the ends and insert plasticard in the sides and roof to extend it, but I don't know of anyone who has tried this method. 

40 minutes ago, billbedford said:

The SR TPOs had the same basic body as the standard Mausell coaches. So you can use any of them as a basis. Though the TPOs had offset gangways on the ends. 

The LMS royal carriages are more difficult. I can't think of another prototype coach that was 69' long. It may be possible to use a BR Mk2 coach for the ends and insert plasticard in the sides and roof to extend it, but I don't know of anyone who has tried this method. 

Noted on the Maunsells. 

Would a Hornby LMS restaurant car be the right length? All I’m going on is that it’s long and has 12 wheels.

• 1 year later...

Just to let people know the website is now up and running. 

Please have a read of the Read Me page for some clues. 

I'm sorry but there are very few resin wagons listed, that is because I have a shed-load to cut and box, and I wanted to get the site online first. 

I would appreciate being told of any mistakes in the coding etc so that I can put them right. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, billbedford said:

Just to let people know the website is now up and running. 

Please have a read of the Read Me page for some clues. 

I'm sorry but there are very few resin wagons listed, that is because I have a shed-load to cut and box, and I wanted to get the site online first. 

I would appreciate being told of any mistakes in the coding etc so that I can put them right. 

Site look good and navigation works well on an iPhone Bill. 

Do you reckon that LNWR Crystal Palace Brake van will ever see the light of day?

Cheers

Jay

On 03/08/2022 at 20:27, JustinDean said:

Do you reckon that LNWR Crystal Palace Brake van will ever see the light of day?

Dunno, there's certainly a whole of brake vans on the To Do list. The Crystal Palace van is, lets say 'more challenging' than most. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Thanks for this one Bill, I will attempt to do it the justice it deserves 👍

1420140420_IMG_20221011_1013439172.jpg.2d50df0039d85dc7a49f540dacf8b7eb.jpg

These look fun, I've never come across 3D resin before.

IMG_20221011_101234414.jpg.50b38b62d0ee97057f7929f50750af37.jpg

Cheers 

It's surprisingly durable.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Ordered a wagon (early Midland 5-plank) over the weekend, via easy online payment. Each step was confirmed by email, and the wagon delivered with the Wednesday morning post. Packaging was as excellent as I remembered it - a sturdy box, packing and a bublewrap sleeve.

The prototype is spot-on for my needs, unavailable anywhere else, and beautifully rendered by the detailed 3D print. Some clever design updates, and improvement in print quality, since my last Mousa wagon too. Instructions to match. Just waiting for bearings to arrive from Wizard, then I'm looking forward to putting it together and adding it to the stock roster.

Thanks @billbedford, one happy customer here, and looking forward to the range expanding in the future.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Schooner said:

Just waiting for bearings to arrive from Wizard

EDITED to correct supplier information - see following posts.

I found the waisted bearings I had from Gibson (five years ago) had insufficiently deep cups, resulting in axleguard splay, but swapping to the MJT ones (from Dart Castings) solved the problem. This was with the LNWR D32 covered goods wagon some time ago but I've stuck to the MJT ones ever since. 

Edited by Compound2632
Corrected supplier information - see following posts.
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I found Wizard's waisted bearings had insufficiently deep cups, resulting in axleguard splay, but swapping to the MJT ones (from Dart Castings) solved the problem. This was with the LNWR D32 covered goods wagon some time ago but I've stuck to the MJT ones ever since.

Mr Andrew Wizard has two suppliers of waisted bearings, I've found the Gibson ones to be far superior to the Romford ones which fell apart, ie the top flange ring parted company from the bearing cup, in addition to your findings.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I found Wizard's waisted bearings had insufficiently deep cups, resulting in axleguard splay, but swapping to the MJT ones (from Dart Castings) solved the problem. This was with the LNWR D32 covered goods wagon some time ago but I've stuck to the MJT ones ever since.

20 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mr Andrew Wizard has two suppliers of waisted bearings, I've found the Gibson ones to be far superior to the Romford ones which fell apart, ie the top flange ring parted company from the bearing cup, in addition to your findings.

You have reminded me that the waisted bearings that gave me trouble were from Gibson, not Wizard, though if it's the Gibson ones Andrew supplies then same difference. I should also say that this was (as I realise to my horror) over five years ago and I may just have had bearings from a rogue batch. I have amended my post.

In all other respects I am a perfectly satisfied user of the products of both Gibson and Wizard.