Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Unusual and esoteric collections

DavidB-AU

Whilst I'm sure the hobby is well known to RMWebbers (and I'd heard of it some time previously), I was interested to find that one colleague of mine was a collector of insulator pots from telegraph, phone and power poles.

He also found various interesting bits and bobs when fossicking through an old rubbish tip near the remote minesite where we were working at the time. One piece which he showed me was a portion of a porcelain(?) plate, bearing not only the makers mark but also an eagle and swastika symbol of a design I haven't seen elsewhere. We both wondered exactly how a plate made in 1930s/40s Germany (presumably) had come to end up on the rubbish tip of a sheep station 500 km from nowhere. Not an impossible journey by any means, but one with a story undoubtedy attached.

ive got a collection of old bottles and jars, most are local to me such as E.P.Shaw that made carbonated drinks but also 2 large pieces of a James Keiler marmalade of Dundee. Im not interested in collecting bottles and jars but ive got them as artifacts of local history

ive got a collection of old bottles and jars, most are local to me such as E.P.Shaw that made carbonated drinks but also 2 large pieces of a James Keiler marmalade of Dundee. Im not interested in collecting bottles and jars but ive got them as artifacts of local history

At last, someone owning up to a collection!

Mine is more unusual- a collection of firebricks! All of them have my name on, or technically, my ancestors name, as the family business was manufacturing firebricks.

Took me years to find the first one, after that several turned up unexpectedly. I think this is because they are rare survivals, being built into furnaces, locomotive fire boxes etc (one customer was the LNWR).

• RMweb Premium

Should any RMwebber be stuck for something to do in La Crosse Kansas, try the museum of barbed wire http://www.rushcounty.org/barbedwiremuseum/ .

There is also a barbed wire museum, the Devil's Rope museum, at McLean Texas; a one-horse town missing the horse. It was closed when we went to visit.

• RMweb Gold

I've a collection of dead leaves in my gutter, but I'm thinking of getting rid - any reasonable offers?

You could donate their bodies to medical science - The Leaf Hospital in Eastbourne might by an appropriate place (Victorian philanthropist William Leaf built the Leaf Hall in 1864 - later it became a cottage hospital - now a centre for physio & podiatry) 

I like drawing instruments. While I wouldn't call myself a collector as such I do have quite a few and when I see classic drawing instruments for sale I often end up buying them.

Other than the one I ride on, I have a small collection of racing saddles - the smallest of which isn't so much a saddle as a pad with stirrups hanging from it - similar to this one:

onesaddle.jpg

You could donate their bodies to medical science - The Leaf Hospital in Eastbourne might by an appropriate place (Victorian philanthropist William [/size]Leaf[/size] built the [/size]Leaf[/size] Hall in 1864 - later it became a cottage hospital - now a centre for physio & podiatry) [/size]

You certainly don't want to leaf them where they are. Sorry.

I have a collection of water colour paints, brushes, easels and paper. Mostly unused since I thought I might take painting up.

I also have an eclectic collection of a 19th c writing slope, 19th c Swiss music box, 19th c magic lantern and slides, various charity shop antiques, geological collection, Victorian bottles (dug from a dump in the 70's) and an ever growing collection of beach combing treasures including sea glass, driftwood and sherds of pottery. Most of it is all hidden from sight.

I remember meeting a man who collected photographs of telegraph poles. It was at Cumbria Steam Fair about 25 years ago, and I made the mistake of engaging in polite conversation. I escaped around an hour later when my Father found me. He had photo albums of the stuff, and it formed his display in the Collections tent. The pictures all looked the same to me.

My older sister collected novelty erasers as a child. She had hundreds of them in ice cream boxes. There used to be available some very ornate ones including one I remember vividly that was shaped to look exactly like a real rose, petals and all.

I've tried in the last ten years to collect malt whiskeys. The trouble is, I seem to end up with a collection of pleasant smelling empty bottles. Strange, that.

At last, someone owning up to a collection!

I have been accused of having a collection of brushed cotton shirts (BCS). I don't feel they qualify, as I wear BCS throughout the cooler months of the year.

However there is an opposing view that they are a collection, as while she was unpacking them from storage, a photo was produced proving that the one I refer to as my 'new BCS' was in use 22 years ago

Archived