Track in 0 gauge

bertiedog

With the Dapol 08 comes track to run it on, and a pack of Peco has wound it's way here to use in a new micro 0 scale layout, Rye Sands.

But.......in P4/S4 and fine scale in 00 the track uses code 75, and we generally think of 0 gauge as double in size and therefore would be 150 thou, but Peco use 124 thou, quite a bit smaller in size.

Double 4mm to the foot would be 8mm to the foot, but 7 mm to the foot is used (In UK), so basically what is the correct ode for 7mm to the foot? In proportion to the 150 it should be 131.25 thou for mm to the foot........

Or is it more to do with the track being suitable for US 0 gauge, with the smaller scale used, 1/48 rather than the UK 1/43.5 scale.( 6.35 mm to the foot).

Does not really matter, the Peco will be perfect for the job, but wondering why 124 was chosen..........

Stephen

Stephen, O gauge is 1.75 x 4mm and code 124 is standard for BH rail.  I have both Peco and C&L and the rail is identical in height.  The only difference is that Peco sleeper spacing is slightly less than C&L which doesn't bother me.  Code 124 rail uses code 100 rail joiners.

John

Hello Stephen

I have a chunk of BR bullhead rail beside me (kept from my PW days). I measure its height as 5.7 inches. One inch in 7mm scale is equal to 0.583mm, so our rail height on the model should be 5.7x0.583 = 3.32mm. The Peco Streamline rail height is 3.2mm, so probably close enough.

John

Hello all,

I saw this thread about track and I hope you don'tmind me adding my ten pence worth.

oiud5u.jpg

Track for light railways those often overlooked byways but great fun to model.
I use Code 100 rail glued to 2mm grey card sleepers and make 34" radius points on copper clad strips.
The track then goes some way towards the spidery look these minor lines had.

For a cash strapped modeller who would like to get into O gauge enough can be made for a micro layout with three points, or a Barry or single slip for less than the price of one commercial point. The satisfaction from making your own trackwork is immense.

Cheers - Jim

Very nice Jim. Is there more info about your layout elsewhere on RMWeb?

I use Code 100 rail glued to 2mm grey card sleepers and make 34" radius points on copper clad strips.

For a cash strapped modeller who would like to get into O gauge enough can be made for a micro layout with three points, or a Barry or single slip for less than the price of one commercial point. The satisfaction from making your own trackwork is immense.

Cheers - Jim

You can get code 100 rail from secondhand Peco OO track, which can be bought for less than the price of new rail. I was going to use it on my early 1900s Kent & East Sussex Railway layout, until I was given enough copper clad code 125 track to do the job. Free is even better than cheap :).

You can get code 100 rail from secondhand Peco OO track, which can be bought for less than the price of new rail. I was going to use it on my early 1900s Kent & East Sussex Railway layout, until I was given enough copper clad code 125 track to do the job. Free is even better than cheap :).

Try and buy un-painted second hand track, as it is a real pain cleaning it. Painted track may seem a bargain but it has to be really cheap if painted to be worthwhile

Looking at the cosy of new Peco rail against RTR track it is quite expensive at £8 for 6 x 1 yard lengths, on the other hand no cleaning up

Also it is worth watching eBay, in the past I have picked up chairs quite cheaply both C&L and Peco 

Try and buy un-painted second hand track, as it is a real pain cleaning it. Painted track may seem a bargain but it has to be really cheap if painted to be worthwhile

Looking at the cosy of new Peco rail against RTR track it is quite expensive at £8 for 6 x 1 yard lengths, on the other hand no cleaning up

Also it is worth watching eBay, in the past I have picked up chairs quite cheaply both C&L and Peco 

I grabbed 10 yards of very clean Peco track on a BIN on eBay for £13.50 including postage a while ago. The rough stuff tends to go for more than that in auctions.

Hello all,

I saw this thread about track and I hope you don'tmind me adding my ten pence worth.

oiud5u.jpg

Cheers - Jim

In my opinion its even better looks wise for 0-16.5

Or is it more to do with the track being suitable for US 0 gauge, with the smaller scale used, 1/48 rather than the UK 1/43.5 scale.( 6.35 mm to the foot).

Nothing to do with that at all - Peco O scale code124 Bullhead rail, chaired track is about the most unsuitable track possible to represent US track which is flat-bottom rail spiked through tie plates.

That hasn't stopped some of us in the UK & Australia using it for US-outline layouts on occasion, needs must sort of thing.

Hello Chris,

Thanks for the question, there is some more information about this layout on my web site here: http://www.jasread.com/micro/moxley.html

Hello John,

Some of us get lucky!

Hello John,

I see the prices have gone up the last C100 I bought was £1 a length. I think C85 FB would be better for both, looking at the Selsey and the Southwold.

Hello all 

Looking at various MR shops online a dozen lengths of C100 rail plus some copper clad for the points would be less than £30 and the price of just one O gauge point from Peco is £40. Add to that a pack of 2mm grey board at £4 incl postage for the sleepers and the majority left over can be used to make buildings.

3538l6x.jpg
Point, single slip and all the plain track made within the the above price. The SS and point are 34" radius and both the drawings are on A4 paper, a polite message with an email address and I will send them to you.

My greatest fun in model railways is learning to make as much as I can myself, of course I make mistakes, of course I get a bit apprehensive. When I have a cardboard loco running with superb slow speed control that I have made using a controller that I have made on track I have made then the satisfaction is immensely rewarding.

I know that I bang on about this often and do to people at the shows I attend with my Cardboard Corner layouts, my next show will be the Ilkeston one in February. Anyone reading this is more than welcome to pop along have a look a chat and a go on the layout.

Cheers - Jim

Jim

A man after my own heart, building your own stuff I find is very rewarding. 

Archived