Hornby Princess Coronation Class (Duchess)

Dick Turpin

1 minute ago, Going Spare said:

According to Service Sheet 438 it was from 2017 with R3509TTS being the first release, then R3555,

R3642, R3681, R3682 and R3856.

I'm pretty certain that the previous issue had the fixed pony truck.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/directory/versiondetails/5392/hornby_oo_4_6_2_class_8p_princess_coronation_non_streamlined_lms

We were certainly discussing it in 2015.

Jason

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Going Spare said:

Again referring to Service Sheets, the fixed pony truck does indeed go back as far as 2008 but I am not sure the rest of the locomotive was then to the current standard.

The chassis block of the latest models (so 2017 onwards) are interchangeable with the with the earlier version with the fixed trailing pony 

4 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

The chassis block of the latest models (so 2017 onwards) are interchangeable with the with the earlier version with the fixed trailing pony 

Only to a point.

Most of the fittings (coupling rods, valve gear, cylinders etc.) are interchangeable along with components like the motor retainer and the fixed trailing truck.

The current version includes a casting of the lower firebox which is part of the bodyshell moulding on the previous version.

The previous version has two lugs at the front to locate the bodyshell which are absent on the current version. The previous version went through several incarnations - I seem to have several different versions. The main changes were to accommodate the fixed trailing truck but also various DCC installations.

On 13/11/2022 at 20:26, Going Spare said:

Again referring to Service Sheets, the fixed pony truck does indeed go back as far as 2008 but I am not sure the rest of the locomotive was then to the current standard.

Can you quote the number of the Hornby service sheet as I cannot find it in the list on Hornby's website? This version appears to have been available from 2008 until 2015. The frame on the latest version has an opening forward of the cylinders.

37 minutes ago, Farang said:

Can you quote the number of the Hornby service sheet as I cannot find it in the list on Hornby's website? This version appears to have been available from 2008 until 2015. The frame on the latest version has an opening forward of the cylinders.

In my files I have the following:

HSS 223e - original version with moving trailing truck

HSS 342b - Later version with fixed trailing truck (also sound)

HSS 438b & d - current version 2017 onwards

3 hours ago, 5 C said:

In my files I have the following:

HSS 223e - original version with moving trailing truck

HSS 342b - Later version with fixed trailing truck (also sound)

HSS 438b & d - current version 2017 onwards

Thank you. Sheet 342B (Duchess Class sound locomotive) is for three sound fitted locos, R2782/2894/2989XS. It does not list any other "R" numbers. However, it seems it will cover non-sound locos produced up to 2015.

The model from 2017(Princess Coronation Class) onwards is covered by two sheets: 438B (April 2018) and 438D (July2020).

14 hours ago, Going Spare said:

Other Sheets for the Duchess with fixed pony truck are 336C with traditional drawbar (2009) and 370C with plug/socket connection (2014).

Thank you but neither of these sheets are available on the Hornby website.

4 hours ago, 5 C said:

Helpful of Hornby to give the same number to service sheets for two different models. Ironic that a model shop has a more comprehensive set of sheets on its website than the original manufacturer.

https://www.lendonsmodelshop.co.uk/pdf/Hornby Service Sheets/No.370C Duchess Class.pdf

Thank you, I have now downloaded both sheets. I now have six for this model and they show how the design evolved over the years.

2 hours ago, Farang said:

Thank you, I have now downloaded both sheets. I now have six for this model and they show how the design evolved over the years.

Indeed.

I think I have all the chassis block variants and with a few exceptions, most of the components can be used across all the variants. There seems to have been various changes to the current pickup arrangement down the years.

It's a fundamentally sound design, let down by delicate valve gear which requires careful handling and frequent checking if you want to avoid bent rods and gear. A problem not unique to this model though.

The current design owes much to its predecessor. The major difference is the casting of the lower firebox as part of the block, instead of being moulded as part of the body. Unfortunately, the spares or repairs examples I've recently acquired suggest delicate running gear is still a problem.

• RMweb Premium

Well, while reading this topic, my '6220 Coronation', most recent version, just stopped. Somewhere the motor or gear got loose, so the service sheets will come in handy. 

In the mean time, sister Liz '6221' will take over the duties on the Coronation Scot. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like Kernow was right as my BR maroon 'City of London' arrived at the Swanage Station Shop today.  The prototype 'City of London' created a lot of interest when it appeared with 'Duchess of Montrose' at Crewe Station on the front cover of the Hornby Dublo 1959 Book of Trains.  Both locomotives had 'Royal Scot' headboards.  'City of London' was in British Railways lined green livery when the photograph was taken. An artist retinted the locomotive British Railways maroon for the front cover.

P1000796.JPG

• Like 2

A trilogy of Hornby Duchesses inspired by the Hornby Dublo models. 46245 'City of London' in BR maroon with the late crest, 46232 'Duchess of Montrose' in BR lined green with the cycling lion crest and 6231 ' Duchess of Atholl' in LMS crimson lake.  

I find it interesting how the Duchesses evolved from conventional locomotives in maroon livery with a single chimney, to streamlined locomotives, then back to conventional locomotives in various experimental liveries with smoke deflectors and double chimneys before settling to lined green livery. Finally some reverted to maroon livery. I find the lining and lettering rather bright on 'City of London' compared with the subdued tones of 'Duchess of Atholl'

P1000803.JPG

• Like 1

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

the Duchesses evolved from conventional locomotives in maroon livery with a single chimney, to streamlined locomotives, 

No, the first Princess Coronations were streamlined as built.

• Agree 5

33 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

No, the first Princess Coronations were streamlined as built.

Apart from the 5 "proper" ones,  according to Stanier. They were ordered at the same time, although in terms of production, you are correct and until casings started being removed they remained the exception.

Alan 

4 minutes ago, Buhar said:

Apart from the 5 "proper" ones,  according to Stanier. They were ordered at the same time, although in terms of production, you are correct and until casings started being removed they remained the exception.

Alan 

Not quite. They had resumed building them again before they started removing the casing. The first new ones had streamlined tenders.

Unstreamlined 6249 appeared in April 1944, whilst the first destreamlined one was 6235 in April 1946. Apparently that was one of the reasons it was saved.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1