Realtrack Class 156

charliepetty

How far is it from Leeds to Melbourne ???

Give him a chance, although he might post it from Glasgow, whilst he is at the 3 day show ?

Lol.

Hope you enjoy it when you get it.

i was responding to another who had not had his credit debited who was asking if they were still being despatched. I am not in a hurry for it. I love Leeds visited in september last year have been three times.

My Spotrail unit ran like a dream, until I removed the bodies in order to fit drivers and passengers. And newspapers on the tables. Looks terrific.

I had a problem, not the fault of the design, but I want to share it in case anyone else encountered it.

Anyway, after refitting the bodies, it ran like a dog, the powered bogies derailling on curves and summits. The problem: the self-centering coupling sockets were no longer moving freely throughout their range, tending to stick at the extremes of movement. It seems possible to fit the bodies almost too tightly to the chassis. The solution was simple; fit the bodies just comfortably to the chassis, and a drop of suitable oil to the wings of the mechanisms, both on top and below as you look with the model in a servicing cradle.

And there we are, the mechanisms flick back to the centre position from the extreme, slickly. No more derailments.

My Spotrail unit ran like a dream, until I removed the bodies in order to fit drivers and passengers. And newspapers on the tables. Looks terrific.

I had a problem, not the fault of the design, but I want to share it in case anyone else encountered it.

Anyway, after refitting the bodies, it ran like a dog, the powered bogies derailling on curves and summits. The problem: the self-centering coupling sockets were no longer moving freely throughout their range, tending to stick at the extremes of movement. It seems possible to fit the bodies almost too tightly to the chassis. The solution was simple; fit the bodies just comfortably to the chassis, and a drop of suitable oil to the wings of the mechanisms, both on top and below as you look with the model in a servicing cradle.

And there we are, the mechanisms flick back to the centre position from the extreme, slickly. No more derailments.

I completely stripped my Barbie 156 to fit speakers into the fuel tanks of both cars.  It was tricky separating the metal chassis plate from the plastic base plate. I took the opportunity to put some graphite powder on the coupling cam assy which should keep them free in the future.  I also go rid of that PITA sticky tape that made removing the bodies awkward, drilled some small holes on the circuit board to allow the pick-up wiring to go through the board rather than around it. Small pieces of black tack were used to secure the wiring to the circuit board/seating part. I also noticed that small protruding edges on the center of the glazing were fouling the CDL light guides when removing/refitting the body, snipping them off made it much easier to remove/replace the body.

Now sounds really good with twin speakers in each car, very pleased indeed with it, also added passengers and a driver - newspapers ? - never though of that ............

Edited by tractor_37260

I completely stripped my Barbie 156 to fit speakers into the fuel tanks of both cars.  It was tricky separating the metal chassis plate from the plastic base plate. I took the opportunity to put some graphite powder on the coupling cam assy which should keep them free in the future.  I also go rid of that PITA sticky tape that made removing the bodies awkward, drilled some small holes on the circuit board to allow the pick-up wiring to go through the board rather than around it. Small pieces of black tack were used to secure the wiring to the circuit board/seating part. I also noticed that small protruding edges on the center of the glazing were fouling the CDL light guides when removing/refitting the body, snipping them off made it much easier to remove/replace the body.

Now sounds really good with twin speakers in each car, very pleased indeed with it, also added passengers and a driver - newspapers ? - never though of that ............

Bits of kitchen roll placed on passengers' laps, useful to conceal the fact that the passenger has had a below-waist amputation. And the little circles from a hole punch make plates on tables in restaurant cars. Real passengers prefer window seats facing the direction of travel, and I put them in the coaches in the same way.
  • Like 1

I thought I had read somewhere on the class 156 thread, that Charlie had already mentioned that there were anticipated delays from Rapido, and that he was far from happy about this delay.

Paul,

I believe the balance of the delayed rapido delivery arrived just before Christmas, some 5 months late... from some of Charlie’s posts, i’d Imagine the models are close to or are about to go sold out.... i’m Just concerned the models are sold out and then there is some problem identified with my order....

Andy

Paul,

I believe the balance of the delayed rapido delivery arrived just before Christmas, some 5 months late... from some of Charlie’s posts, i’d Imagine the models are close to or are about to go sold out.... i’m Just concerned the models are sold out and then there is some problem identified with my order....

Andy

Andy

Best to speak to the man himself about the stock scheduled / Deliveries from Rapido.

Hope you get sorted with your ordered 156

Paul

Hi All,

I picked up my second 156 from Charlie at Glasgow. This one in Barbie livery to go with my spotty one. Both are sound fitted and run smoothly. The livery printing is superb especially the lines over the window where the lines curve down.

Thanks Charlie & Arran for another superb model and of course Bif for his excellent sounds.

All the best

Mark

Hi Charlie

Have all the preordered RT156-111 sets with sound been sent out yet.

Could you post here when you have sent out the last preorder?

If I haven't heard from you by then, I'll  push the panic button & send you an email.

Trying to be patient

John

Hi Charlie

Have all the preordered RT156-111 sets with sound been sent out yet.

Could you post here when you have sent out the last preorder?

If I haven't heard from you by then, I'll  push the panic button & send you an email.

Trying to be patient

John

Please PM me @ charlie@dckits.co.uk.

Thanks.

Bits of kitchen roll placed on passengers' laps, useful to conceal the fact that the passenger has had a below-waist amputation. And the little circles from a hole punch make plates on tables in restaurant cars. Real passengers prefer window seats facing the direction of travel, and I put them in the coaches in the same way.

And here we are. Not in a 156, but a Blue-grey Mk1 and a Kyle Line Mk2, but you get the idea... also a view of the TMD

post-23887-0-04044700-1520445824_thumb.jpg

post-23887-0-12031000-1520445838_thumb.jpg

post-23887-0-72451400-1520445855_thumb.jpg

post-23887-0-70652800-1520445899_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

So, Charlie wins the award for most confusing unboxing ever (in a good way). I picked up the package with my 156 tonight at the post office after work. When I got home, I opened up the box and discovered two Rapido plastic blisters holding the main box into place. I was confused but figured hey, a couple of extras won’t go wrong (not that I couldn’t probably get some by making a half hour drive to Markham and begging at the office!). When I opened up the big box, and started unpacking, I started to laugh, the blisters weren’t extras, they were for my 156, in a feat of brilliance I never would have though of, to try and further protect my models from another trans ocean voyage and the gentle handling of the postal service, as can be seen in the attached, he wrapped them in bubble wrap inside the foam cut outs to double make sure they didn’t get damaged.

I need to find my loop of track to give them a quick test and run in, but so far it looks fantastic!

Cheers,

Stephen

Edit: Typos fixed from original post made from my phone.

post-15516-0-84791600-1520640491_thumb.jpeg

Edited by sjgardiner
  • Like 3

So, Charlie wins the award for most confusing unboxing ever (in a good way). I picked up the package with my 156 tonight at the post office after work. When I got home, I opened up the box and discovered two Rapido plastic blisters holding the main box into place. I was confused but figured hey, a couple of extras won’t go wrong (not that I couldn’t probably get some by making a half hour drive to Markham and begging at the office!). When I opened up the big box, and atarted unpacking, I started to laugh, the blisters weren’t extras, they were for my 156, in a feat of brilliance I never would have though of, to try and further protect my models from another trans ocean voyage and the gentle handling of the postal service, as can be seen in the attached, he wrapped them in bubble wrap inside the foam cut outs to double make sure they didn’t get damaged.

I need to find my loop of track to give them a quick test and run in, but so far it looks fantastic!

Cheers,

Stephen

Some more thoughts on my Class 156 on my blog: https://sjgardiner.wordpress.com/2018/03/09/realtrack-scotrail-class-156/

I installed the dummy couplers and snow plows this morning.  It looks really good, I gave both units a brief (like 5 minutes) run on my roller stands, lights and sound come on, wheels move, so that's good news.  Just need to figure out where i put my loop of track for testing/running in and give it a bit of real time running to break in and check.

I'm very very happy.  They are gorgeous units, and Charlie should be very proud of bringing them to market, timing hiccups and the joys of shipping stacks of packages not withstanding.

Cheers,

Stephen

Some more thoughts on my Class 156 on my blog: https://sjgardiner.wordpress.com/2018/03/09/realtrack-scotrail-class-156/

I installed the dummy couplers and snow plows this morning.  It looks really good, I gave both units a brief (like 5 minutes) run on my roller stands, lights and sound come on, wheels move, so that's good news.  Just need to figure out where i put my loop of track for testing/running in and give it a bit of real time running to break in and check.

I'm very very happy.  They are gorgeous units, and Charlie should be very proud of bringing them to market, timing hiccups and the joys of shipping stacks of packages not withstanding.

Cheers,

Stephen

Brilliant news, as we have a few damaged in the post.      Charlie

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Keybuk & Andy Mac 

My credit card was debited this week by DC Kits so I am hoping mine(RT 156-111) is on its way as of Yesterday

Initially I authorised Sagepay to debit my Visa card(last year if I recall)for the final payment. About 6 weeks ago they declined the transaction (Probably too long from the initial authorization until Charlie finalized the transaction )

After several Emails (some of which may have disappeared into the ether or his spam filter is too aggressive) he requested I send my credit card details, some Emails & a phone call later(3 or 4 weeks later) about AU$430 Disappear from my credit card(today it showed up as a DCkits transaction)

When I was young overseas phone calls were expensive, my call to Charlie was only a couple of AU$'s

Try some more emails or PM him here or a phone call

Hope my tale of excitement, hope, patience, despair & final triumph has inspired you not to give up :)

John

Reminds me I should send a Email to confirm its on its way

Edit. Corrected gramma & Thanks Charlie for the PM 

Edited by John ks

Keybuk & Andy Mac 

My credit card was debited this week by DC Kits so I am hoping mine(RT 156-111) is on its way as of Yesterday

Initially I authorised Sagepay to debit my Visa card(last year if I recall)for the final payment. About 6 weeks ago they declined the transaction (Probably too long from the initial authorization until Charlie finalized the transaction )

After several Emails (some of which may have disappeared into the ether or his spam filter is too aggressive) he requested I send my credit card details, some Emails & a phone call later(3 or 4 weeks later) about AU$430 Disappear from my credit card(today it showed up as a DCkits transaction)

When I was young overseas phone calls were expensive, my call to Charlie was only a couple of AU$'s

Try some more emails or PM him here or a phone call

Hope my tale of excitement, hope, patience, despair & final triumph has inspired you not to give up :)

John

Reminds me I should send a Email to confirm its on its way

Edit. Corrected gramma & Thanks Charlie for the PM 

Trust me, I've been trying repeatedly.

Even posting in the forum doesn't get an answer.

The closest thing I got to a response was a reply to a mail saying he'd be in touch within two weeks, and that was two MONTHS ago.

Phone call isn't a cost problem for me, it's a timezone problem - I doubt I'll get an answer out of him at 4am UK time either ;)

I'm not after a date or anything, just confirmation that my pre-order is still "going to happen sometime" - and that he received the updated address I sent him back in August (and again in February just in case)

Charlie,

Do you happen to know when the 156 in Provincial is likely to be here? Also, i was thinking - which is dangerous, but would it be possible for extra cost ( one thing you should never mention to C Petty esq I know ) to fit my 156 with EM wheelsets prior to despatch?

cheers

Andy

Charlie messaged me, apparently he has mine set aside but there is an issue with the credit card details, in that they have been held for too long, so i’ll Need to phone and give my card details again.... other than my ones he had about a dozen still to go.... so hopefully will get a hold of him on Monday and get these models on their way to Oz....