Bristol Victoria (Blues in the 80's)

Andrew P

Hi Andy,

Did you consider using Y turnouts for the double Junction?

attachicon.gifIMG_2923.jpg

IMO they give a better flow than using straight turnouts and don't seem to need 'fudging' to make them work, but might not suit the space you have.

I brought 2 x Y's home on Wednesday but they put a KINK into the Exit from the Station before the Viaduct. I bought them because at the time, I was putting the Junction across the bottom of the Shed over the Canal and they would have worked well there Ray.

Thanks..

• RMweb Premium

Something you find out early on with forums like this is that if you publicly display your work to the world then you also invite comment. That comment can range from very positive and supportive through to negative and hurtful.

The trouble with only wanting and getting positive comment is that you could get a false impression of greatness from the yes men. You see this a lot with film stars and other celebrities.

People posting unnecessarily negative and nasty comments are also problematic as you receive a false negative view of your work. The internet trolls have a lot to answer for with many folk having self esteem issues.

The perfect balance is praise where due but not being scared to receive constructive criticism where it could help point out a potential issue or a better way if doing something. Sharing experience is one of the great bonuses of

posting here.

So I think good rules to live by on forums are:

- don't post content only expecting praise but be open to comment

- don't make comments that are harsh or hurtful - play nicely

- offer constructive criticism/comment - share experience

Unfortunately you often see the opposite behaviours and it never ends well.

To be honest I see very few nasty comments on here (RMWeb), you should browse some of the computer gaming forums if you want to see harsh!! I do see people on here take things the wrong way though quite often.

Andy on the other hand always seems open to disscussions with a positive attitude.

It's very difficult building layouts, I decided to follow CJF's plan! It's very hard when your coming up with creative designs of your own, I love the track layout here, I can see what ppl are saying about the junction I guess to get the curve on the double slip it would require hand built track? (Correct me if I'm wrong)..

Keep up the great work on Bristol Victoria :)

• RMweb Premium

Well I haven't bent or butchered any Track in the next set of pics, I've moved the Viaduct back about 4 inches, and put the apex of the curve prior to the Viaduct so that the Tracks are going through the arches a bit straighter. This has also meant that the Tracks leave the Diamond Crossing strait as opposed to needing to curve strait away.

attachicon.gifDouble Junction Re Lay 2 008.JPG

attachicon.gifDouble Junction Re Lay 2 001.JPG

attachicon.gifDouble Junction Re Lay 2 003.JPG

attachicon.gifDouble Junction Re Lay 2 004.JPG

attachicon.gifDouble Junction Re Lay 2 005.JPG

attachicon.gifDouble Junction Re Lay 2 009.JPG

Next to find a Hole in the Wall for the Docks Branch.

That looks miles better Andy.

• RMweb Premium

In an ideal world our 1/76 scale layouts would all be constructed to 18.83 gauge and we should be buying RTR locos and stock off the shelf to run on it (but please don't open that pandoras box here on Andy's BV thread). It's not an ideal world however,so most of us end up as average modelers because of it, all of whom have a different set of skills which don't always include soldering or track building.

So please forgive me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that the forum was a place to freely share those skills and our ideas so other modelers with similar interests could enjoy seeing such great layouts as Pencarne come to fruition. The likes of which we would never otherwise get to see!!

When people take the time to share such work on here, criticism is not what they're looking for no matter how constructive but I find advise is always appreciated even if it's not always followed!

Incidentally I had planned to build 3 curved diamond crossings for my Queensbury project. Thanks must go to Al (acg-mr) who shared his attempt on here and has now presented me with a more achievable solution.

Keep up the good work Andy, if your previous layouts are any indication to go no I'm confident that BV will top all that has gone before.

Regards Shaun.

• RMweb Premium

I was going to throw in some comments on the track when I suddenly realised being in Australia I was looking at it upside down.

It all now makes perfect sense to me.  Mind you I expect to see it all ripped up and relayed when I check in again tomorrow.

In an ideal world our 1/76 scale layouts would all be constructed to 18.83 gauge and we should be buying RTR locos and stock off the shelf to run on it (but please don't open that pandoras box here on Andy's BV thread). It's not an ideal world however,so most of us end up as average modelers because of it, all of whom have a different set of skills which don't always include soldering or track building.

So please forgive me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that the forum was a place to freely share those skills and our ideas so other modelers with similar interests could enjoy seeing such great layouts as Pencarne come to fruition. The likes of which we would never otherwise get to see!!

When people take the time to share such work on here, criticism is not what they're looking for no matter how constructive but I find advise is always appreciated even if it's not always followed!

Incidentally I had planned to build 3 curved diamond crossings for my Queensbury project. Thanks must go to Al (acg-mr) who shared his attempt on here and has now presented me with a more achievable solution.

Keep up the good work Andy, if your previous layouts are any indication to go no I'm confident that BV top all that has gone before.

Regards Shaun.

Thanks Shaun for a very well constructed and balanced post and your praise of Pencarne.

A couple of years ago I would have gone down the Build it route, but now I want to get a working Layout running to enjoy, (after all that's why I have some 20 PLUS Sound Locos and loads of Stock) but still at a reasonable standard, and then get onto the Scenery whilst enjoying running some Trains, (I'm at that stage on Beale St, Track laid and it's working).

I'm confident that it will be nice to operate, and even better now that I've brought the Junction into the open more, rather than in the 3ft between the Canal and the Fiddle Yard entrance. and that's the area I'm working on now. I need to make the Canal Board, so a drop down section, and then decide about the Docks Branch, it may have to go, but at the moment, I'm loathed to do away with it, but we will see later.

The heater's on, so about another 10 minutes and I'm off outside.

I was going to throw in some comments on the track when I suddenly realised being in Australia I was looking at it upside down.

It all now makes perfect sense to me.  Mind you I expect to see it all ripped up and relayed when I check in again tomorrow.

Not today mate. hahah

Well I've stopped for morning coffee now, but the Canal Board has been cut this morning, basically the Lower front board hangs off the Main Board and will form the Canal, then the cut out sections from the top / main board will form the Land for the Pub and Lock Keepers Cottage about half inch or so higher than the Canal and either side of the Canal and with the Rail Tracks on an embankment above.

AND I've made room for the Docks Branch as well.

Well I've stopped for morning coffee now, but the Canal Board has been cut this morning, basically the Lower front board hangs off the Main Board and will form the Canal, then the cut out sections from the top / main board will form the Land for the Pub and Lock Keepers Cottage about half inch or so higher than the Canal and either side of the Canal and with the Rail Tracks on an embankment above.

AND I've made room for the Docks Branch as well.

Woo Hoo !  Looking forward to this evenings pics, Andy !  :yahoo:

Been up early myself, trying to plan out my station buildings and canopy layout. I am using Scalescenes stuff, but, the two overall canopies they do are either 4" too narrow or 4" too wide !  :banghead:  :banghead: Been trying to resize them on the computer, but, not getting the effect I am after .  :scratchhead: Still, will have another coffee and try again ! 

So the first pics of the Canal Section, you will notice that the Pub is at a higher level than the Lock Keepers Cottage. Both buildings courtesy of Marcus37, so thanks again mate, they look spot on.

post-9335-0-07701200-1485017170_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-60997000-1485017210_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-89096500-1485017225_thumb.jpg

Since these pics were taken earlier the 4 Main Line Tracks have gone down, wired and working as far as the Fiddle Yard

This looks great Andy and I'm so pleased that you have managed to retain the dock branch.  This I assume is a canal basin rather than a canal?

Regards,

Brian.

Thanks Brian, No it's a Canal, just 2 Boats wide, the same as we have on the Trent and Mersey around here.

This is how I imagine it will look like, (well not quite, but you get the picture)

post-9335-0-19309900-1485026342_thumb.jpg

EDIT = TBH I've never seen a Canal with clean Blue water, hahah.

The website "Britain from Above" http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk has lots of useful views of the centre of Bristol and might give some ideas about

the style/design and size of warehousing.

Thanks for the Link Peter, I never realised that the Docks Branch was such a sprawling affair, with such a large Yard, looks like my Yard will need some more Baseboards.

Here's a small selection of the ones I've saved.

post-9335-0-87259000-1485038764.jpg

post-9335-0-49682400-1485038781.jpg

post-9335-0-36708500-1485038794.jpg

post-9335-0-81840800-1485038807.jpg

post-9335-0-82572200-1485038823.jpg

post-9335-0-39036800-1485038836.jpg

Thanks for the Link Peter, I never realised that the Docks Brach was such a sprawling affair, with such a large Yard, looks like my Yard will need some more Baseboards.

Here's a small selection of the ones I've saved.

attachicon.gif1-0-0.jpg

attachicon.gif1-0-2.jpg

attachicon.gif1-0-3.jpg

attachicon.gif1-0-4.jpg

attachicon.gif1-0-5.jpg

attachicon.gif1-0-6.jpg

More baseboards? The shed extension and another layout revamp fast approaching.

Archived