Bristol Victoria (Blues in the 80's)

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

Now please, Guys, I'm not aiming for an award winning masterpiece, just a typical Mr Average Modellers Home Layout.

Thanks for following, if I've got any followers left after this post.

Well I'm sure I won't be the only one sticking around, and TBH I don't think you're capable of "Mr Average", even with your eyes closed and hands behind your back it would be much better than that!!

Gary

• RMweb Gold

I thoroughly  enjoy watching what you create and the process you go through for establishing how you want things to look. I find it extremely inspiring and always look forward to the latest progress. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing how the canal develops.

Mike

Well I certainly hope that you don't think I'm telling you what to do Andy, not my place to however I will voice my opinion as keeping quiet or agreeing with something for the sake of it does no one any favours.

I think that my comments on here so far have all been positive, I have just aired my thoughts on things to think about rather than adhere to, if that has come across as not being true then I apologise.

I personally love the computer enhanced photos showing what you are planning to do and look forward to seeing it in model form.

Thanks Guys, Really appreciate you positive posts above.

I've done a little this evening as I've been out all day, and this evening I've laid the Re Star Parcels Platforms, 2 short and one long one, again it's just what I wanted for all my Parcels Stock.

post-9335-0-91520600-1485378900_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-56381000-1485378951_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-12430400-1485378991_thumb.jpg

EDIT = I need to check out my Camera settings.

My you do attract plenty of 'rivet counters' on your threads mate, yes there are a lot of informative modellers on here as we know, and very helpful they have all been and we have learned a lot from their comments, but a few let you down and it spoils it for you and many of your followers, for gods sake all you are trying to do is show us your railway and the fun you have building it...

There must be a web site on the web where they can go on and talk about Sausages - Chipolatas - Grass and bl**dy Curtains all day long ?     sorry for the soapbox mate but it spoils it for me and many more on here...

Well hopefully sorted out the Camera, I think it was because the pics last night were taken under Florescent Lights only, whereas todays have daylight coming in as well.

So I've finished laying the Parcels area this morning and very pleased with the Flow,

The short Track to the left will be the Shunter Stabling Point and will be wired via a 2 way / centre off switch and also be the programing Track, so I can drive a Loco on , switch to PT and then do any re -sets required, then switch back and drive off.

post-9335-0-32702200-1485429939_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-52229800-1485429976_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-34440100-1485430017_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

"The short Track to the left will be the Shunter Stabling Point and will be wired via a 2 way / centre off switch and also be the programing Track, so I can drive a Loco on , switch to PT and then do any re -sets required, then switch back and drive off".

I like this - no need to lift the locomotive off just to check - especially those with Xn sets of wheels.

Cheers, Peter

Nothing like a nice bit of complex track work to get the grey matter going. Plenty of shunting puzzles to be had there mate.

Hope you're more of a master with the double switches than I am. Forever getting the damn thing wrong on PDW. Mind you I have a problem with the real one in Bescot yard as well. HaHa.

• RMweb Premium

Not sure what all the recent angst is over Andy? Your lovingly crafted back story sets the location and period for your layout. People will compare what you've said you want to achieve against the ideas you're having and, as you frequently ask for comments, will give them.

If you say that the layout is set in urban Bristol near the docks, folk will expect to see that sort of setting modelled. If you then present a chocolate box GWR station building as a post-war inner city rebuild that is bound to generate comments. If you present a rural picture perfect scene of a canal based on something in the green fields of Staffordshire rather than the urban decay of the canals around Bristol, then again expect comments. Based on what you said you wanted to achieve I don't think either observation is nitpicking or rivet counting.

I think what you're saying is that you want to build a completely freelance layout exactly the way you want to. Nothing wrong with that but if this is the case then it's probably worth making this very clear in the back story.

It would also appear that although you ask for thoughts, you're only really wanting positive ones that say everything is great. Surely this isn't right? The whole point of a forum is to share experience and learn new stuff. On my own threads I've learned a hell of a lot from people's contributions. Some have resulted in me choosing to redo stuff I've done - not something I enjoyed at the time but the end result was worth it.

Each to their own but I do think that shutting out any sort of comment or thought that doesn't align with your own view is a very retrograde step. I do agree though that once the thread owner has made their view on something clear, that should be respected. No mileage in banging a broken drum.

I do hope you get enjoyment out of your project (no point going it otherwise) but worry that you're starting to get obsessed with likes and positive comment.

It's a cracking layout!

Sometimes ppl will have good suggestions, I had to embrace a few when I built my layout, as I don't work on the railway so have no idea what things do what :)

No one can under estimate how good the layout looks already! It's a hefty one and a credit to the builder :). Keep calm and lay tracks :)

Not sure what all the recent angst is over Andy? Your lovingly crafted back story sets the location and period for your layout. People will compare what you've said you want to achieve against the ideas you're having and, as you frequently ask for comments, will give them.

If you say that the layout is set in urban Bristol near the docks, folk will expect to see that sort of setting modelled. If you then present a chocolate box GWR station building as a post-war inner city rebuild that is bound to generate comments. If you present a rural picture perfect scene of a canal based on something in the green fields of Staffordshire rather than the urban decay of the canals around Bristol, then again expect comments. Based on what you said you wanted to achieve I don't think either observation is nitpicking or rivet counting.

I think what you're saying is that you want to build a completely freelance layout exactly the way you want to. Nothing wrong with that but if this is the case then it's probably worth making this very clear in the back story.

It would also appear that although you ask for thoughts, you're only really wanting positive ones that say everything is great. Surely this isn't right? The whole point of a forum is to share experience and learn new stuff. On my own threads I've learned a hell of a lot from people's contributions. Some have resulted in me choosing to redo stuff I've done - not something I enjoyed at the time but the end result was worth it.

Each to their own but I do think that shutting out any sort of comment or thought that doesn't align with your own view is a very retrograde step. I do agree though that once the thread owner has made their view on something clear, that should be respected. No mileage in banging a broken drum.

I do hope you get enjoyment out of your project (no point going it otherwise) but worry that you're starting to get obsessed with likes and positive comment.

Hi Chris and thanks for your post.

Firstly let me say; I don't want  ALL positive comments because as you say, it isn't right and so new ideas are always welcome.

I have taken on board many ideas put forward by my many followers like the extra Platform, moving the Viaduct, and several other bits and pieces, I like New Ideas it's what makes R M Web so good, but it was the harping on about the same thing once I said it was what I wanted, and that I was happy with it, that was getting a bit tiresome.

Re the Station Building, that has been changed, again from a suggestion on here

BV is set in a fairly Urban environment, i.e. Bristol.

As the Tracks leave the Station area and passes under the Viaduct, (Bath Road) there is a small but significant piece of Canal that it passes over, on one side is the Lock keepers Cottage so will have a small garden and Tow Path, on the other side is a Pub, that two will have a Lawn and Car Park. But beyond the Rail Bridge are some Warehouses. Now there may well be Warehouses this side of the Pub through which the Canal has just flowed but there off the Base Board edge so cant be seen. Think of the Trent and Mersey around the back of Burton and there are Fields on one side, and the back of the Town on the other.

The area around the Canal will need a lot of thought, and some how I need to take it into the Fiddle Yard, so that needs some consideration as well, so as I've said many times, ideas, yes please, but once it's done, if I like it, it stays.

Thanks again Chris,

All the best.

Andy.

Any thoughts on the Tracks going into the Fiddle Yard?

Another Road Bridge perhaps? The Midland and Western Region Lines are already split and so as with the other Viaduct will require two Double Track Bridges, and the Branch is a Single Track, so again would be a copy again.

My personal feeling is that it will be to similar to the Viaduct and look contrived.

3 X Tunnel Mouths in a Rock face like the Cheddar area maybe?

3 X Entrances under a bit of Town section maybe?

or 3 X entrances under the back of an Old Warehouse, there are many examples of this around the County as you would assume the road was on the other side of the Building with the Tracks appearing out in the open again.

Some ideas if you have any please.

It's only about 18 inches from the Canal so quite tight for room to do anything spectacular.

Have you got a separate arrivals/departures road for all the freight that will be handled?  

The docks branch would do nicely, if it could be connected back to the main lines via a trailing point/slip/double slip combo....

might not work with the mains splitting in two though...

The Goods arrivals Road is the Loop near the edge of the Baseboard, and allows stock to be taken back into the Sidings. And the departure Road will either be the same if stock is going strait out, as I haven't the room for a dedicated Departure Road. The Centre Road between the Platforms can be used if required, and although not prototypical will have to suffice.

• RMweb Gold

Any thoughts on the Tracks going into the Fiddle Yard?

Another Road Bridge perhaps? The Midland and Western Region Lines are already split and so as with the other Viaduct will require two Double Track Bridges, and the Branch is a Single Track, so again would be a copy again.

My personal feeling is that it will be to similar to the Viaduct and look contrived.

3 X Tunnel Mouths in a Rock face like the Cheddar area maybe?

3 X Entrances under a bit of Town section maybe?

or 3 X entrances under the back of an Old Warehouse, there are many examples of this around the County as you would assume the road was on the other side of the Building with the Tracks appearing out in the open again.

Some ideas if you have any please.

It's only about 18 inches from the Canal so quite tight for room to do anything spectacular.

Some need for tunnels and deep cuttings on the real railways around Bristol Andy so tunnel mouths might not be quite so contrived as you think although possibly get rid (sorry) of the docks branch a slightly different way swinging away from the other two routes.

Some need for tunnels and deep cuttings on the real railways around Bristol Andy so tunnel mouths might not be quite so contrived as you think although possibly get rid (sorry) of the docks branch a slightly different way swinging away from the other two routes.

Thanks Mike, the Docks Branch will follow the line of the embankment above the Pub whilst the other two go fairly strait.

Not a good picture but gives you some idea, as I say, not a lot of room.

post-9335-0-19526900-1485445832_thumb.jpg

EDIT = BETTER PIC on next Page now.

Archived