Bristol Victoria (Blues in the 80's)

Andrew P

I have ended up having to fairly well cram my yards full of track to be able to handle the amounts of stock needed to operate Buckingham West correctly - because of the operation concept - but the price is the lack of correct/authentic looking yards. It's a regret, but one I couldn't get round.

Rich

I agree with that statement.  Its one of the things with this hobby, the layout plans always expand to fit the space available, plus a little bit more! I think even if I had space the size of Wembley Stadium, id get it all sorted and say ... shame I haven't got another two foot to use in that corner!

Compromise is the name of the game, but in away that keeps it interesting and enjoyable. As you say, the wish to operate correctly won the day over a little bit of 'the look', but I agree that the layout of Andy's trackwork really does look smooth and developed over time, rather than a 1980s rebuild :)

Rich

Looking good Andy and I'm glad your playing around with the yard layout as I personally feel that as a marshalling yard the sidings should be straight rather than curved . I keep looking at the yard compared to the scene as a whole and have felt that it looks 'odd' to have the yards sidings curving towards the mainlines ...I know your trying to get in as much as you can be I feel less is more here. It would also leave some space to the left of the yard area and the dock branch which would look good with some old poorly maintained railway buildings and undergrowth of course to give a bit of separation between the two areas.

Right I'll shut up now but it's just a thought  :onthequiet:

Morning Rich, Rich and Martin, it was always going to be a compromise, but although the inclusion of the Docks Branch has restricted the area somewhat I feel that operationally it will benefit immensely. Curved Sidings are again a Marmite moment, love them or hate them, some yards have them and some don't, personally I feel they look good, especially big Yards full of Wagons.

As with anything in this Hobby and many others that word compromise comes in.

Morning Buddy, How long is the wants list for Stafford ? hahahaha

Getting longer, O Gauge Drivers, OO Bits and Bobs, general goodies, and a couple of OO Bulleid Locos to do deals with.

How about you?

BTW, George and I are going to Stafford on Sunday, if any Webbers want to meet up to say Hello.

Well Peter, as promised the Railfreight Fleet has arrived today, well actually I just got them out from the Boxes, but they all still need detailing.

The 37 506 with the Ploughs IS actually a Dutch Factory Sound fitted one with a body swap.

attachicon.gifRailfreight arrivals 010.JPG

attachicon.gifRailfreight arrivals 001.JPG

attachicon.gifRailfreight arrivals 006.JPG

attachicon.gifRailfreight arrivals 007.JPG

attachicon.gifRailfreight arrivals 009.JPG

attachicon.gifRailfreight arrivals 002.JPG

attachicon.gifRailfreight arrivals 003.JPG

attachicon.gifRailfreight arrivals 004.JPG

attachicon.gifRailfreight arrivals 005.JPG

Really POOR pics again, SORRY.

Hi Andy,

Nice selection of red stripe beasts. Your class 56 should be right at home on your layout as I am pretty sure it was based  on the Western region. Even the Thornaby class 37s worked to Cardiff back in the day I remember seeing one at Bristol depot. 

Cheers Peter.

Hi Andy,

Nice selection of red stripe beasts. Your class 56 should be right at home on your layout as I am pretty sure it was based  on the Western region. Even the Thornaby class 37s worked to Cardiff back in the day I remember seeing one at Bristol depot. 

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter, I just need to pick up a 31 now, and I'm all there.

Well after fitting a Chip to a New Arrival, this morning, (see Beale St) I decided to re look at the Goods Sidings. Mick / Donnington Road, and Peter Kazmierczak had come up with various ideas for re arranging the Sidings, None looked right, but then this morning I removed ONE SIDING and it all seemed to jell. They now still have the curve I wanted, but go back towards the Viaduct as Peter Suggested, and although I've effectively lost a Siding, (one less Point Motor to fit and wire up) the Yard capacity has increased slightly. And I can get a 15 Wagon 16T Mineral Coal Train into each of the two longest Sidings, so one Full and one empty.

They just need a final pinning and wiring up AGAIN. :no:

post-9335-0-20914400-1485862885_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-90900900-1485862926_thumb.jpg

Understand about your 'curve fetish' mate but sidings do look better curving with the general formation it makes it all 'flow' better. Plenty of shunting puzzles there for sure, can see you needing a double' deck of cards with plenty of head scratching .... :boast: Think the whole project is really starting to come together now bet your well pleased ... :sungum: Make sure you get plenty of dirty coloured weathering powers at Stafford think your going to need them  :jester:

I would be tempted to add a turnout on the docks branch so that you could have an arrival/dparture line for traffic coming off the docks line.  

post-238-0-92595300-1485865792_thumb.jpg

That way traffic would be out of the way when you are marshalling traffic in the mileage sidings, I assume that trains come up from the docks unsorted and then are shunted into destination order in the yard alongside the station throat.  

Incoming trains might be broken down in the same way, as I assume the docks have several locations that take different traffic, and the dock yard shunters would be most grateful if they didn't have to spend too much time sorting wagons into their respective destinations on the cramped dock sidings..

I might be talking bo11ocks of course :)

Hi Andy,

Really enjoying following this thread, it's looking fantastic.

One comment about the sidings - I always feel something doesn't look quite right when a siding stops at an angle to and just short of a running line. Partly I think it accentuates the curve of the running line, and I also wonder whether that's an arrangement you'd see in the 12 inches to the foot version as there'd be concern about something in the sidings going through the buffers and fouling the running line.

Just a thought!

Martyn

Andy this just gets better and better

Tim T

Understand about your 'curve fetish' mate but sidings do look better curving with the general formation it makes it all 'flow' better. Plenty of shunting puzzles there for sure, can see you needing a double' deck of cards with plenty of head scratching .... :boast: Think the whole project is really starting to come together now bet your well pleased ... :sungum: Make sure you get plenty of dirty coloured weathering powers at Stafford think your going to need them  :jester:

Coming along nicely, Andy.

Those curved sidings, when populated, are going to present the driver of the propelling loco with some blind spots. If only there was some way of having radio directed shunting ..............LOL.

Kind regards,

Paul

Hi Andy,

Really enjoying following this thread, it's looking fantastic.

One comment about the sidings - I always feel something doesn't look quite right when a siding stops at an angle to and just short of a running line. Partly I think it accentuates the curve of the running line, and I also wonder whether that's an arrangement you'd see in the 12 inches to the foot version as there'd be concern about something in the sidings going through the buffers and fouling the running line.

Just a thought!

Martyn

Cheers Tim, Martin, Paul and Martyn, I do like the new developments, and enjoyed a very good session this morning.

I would be tempted to add a turnout on the docks branch so that you could have an arrival/dparture line for traffic coming off the docks line.  

attachicon.gifpost-9335-0-90900900-1485862926.jpg

That way traffic would be out of the way when you are marshalling traffic in the mileage sidings, I assume that trains come up from the docks unsorted and then are shunted into destination order in the yard alongside the station throat.  

Incoming trains might be broken down in the same way, as I assume the docks have several locations that take different traffic, and the dock yard shunters would be most grateful if they didn't have to spend too much time sorting wagons into their respective destinations on the cramped dock sidings..

I might be talking bo11ocks of course :)

Hi Dr, Mick / Donnington Road suggested the same in Post 909 / previous page, and at the time I replied with a no, but since then I've re laid the Sidings and can see now that Mick and yourself may well be right. TBH it was more laziness on my part, as I didn't want any Points on that Board because of the wiring, but as Jonathan below says, it's another Run around loop.

And you'd have another run-round loop.

Again, I will have a look when I go outside again later.

Cheers Tim, Martin, Paul and Martyn, I do like the new developments, and enjoyed a very good session this morning.

:jester:  :jester:  :jester: Mmmmmmm... I think your curves are causing quite a stir .....mind you if the drivers have 'blind spots' they won't notice them which would be a shame  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

One of my aims in life is to wake up and find your track plan is exactly the same in the morning as it was when I went to bed (bearing in mind that I am on a completely different time zone).

However, I suspect that will never be achieved - hence my reluctance to hit the "like" button on occasions.

All I can say is that I believe this layout will be perfect ..... whenever it is that you say it is finished.

I thoroughly enjoy watching though.  Keep the photos coming.

Hi Dr, Mick / Donnington Road suggested the same in Post 909 / previous page, and at the time I replied with a no, but since then I've re laid the Sidings and can see now that Mick and yourself may well be right. TBH it was more laziness on my part, as I didn't want any Points on that Board because of the wiring, but as Jonathan below says, it's another Run around loop.

Again, I will have a look when I go outside again later.

I think you implied that having the run round loop coming off the docks branch would restrict operation.

My thinking was that anything arriving on the main would be drawn up to the far end near the parcels depot then be propelled back into the loop and sorted from there.

Departures would be assembled in the loop, propelled back towards the parcels office then depart.

If I had the time I would put your plan on a simulator and play with it but you work far too fast for me to keep up :jester:

nice photos you just posted while I was writing this :senile:

I'll try again, having done the post and lost the Internet Connection.

Some pics from the running session this morning.

attachicon.gifTesting the Goods Sidings 017.JPG

More running pics later.

I think you are nearly there Andy, the curved sidings just want bringing away from the docks branch a tad at the buffer end if possible and the short straight siding looks perfect as it compliments the curved bits.

I think you implied that having the run round loop coming off the docks branch would restrict operation.

My thinking was that anything arriving on the main would be drawn up to the far end near the parcels depot then be propelled back into the loop and sorted from there.

Departures would be assembled in the loop, propelled back towards the parcels office then depart.

If I had the time I would put your plan on a simulator and play with it but you work far too fast for me to keep up :jester:

nice photos you just posted while I was writing this :senile:

Re looking at your reasoning I can see some / many merits in this and so will add a Point later and post some more pics, I now think that you and the Good Dr GF have made some very good points.

I would have been tempted to remove the short straight siding and put some sort of large 'listed' building in its place - hence the need for the sidings to curve to avoid it?

I can see your logic Steve, but that Building was Bombed in the War and was pulled down, and a few years later another Siding (the strait one) was added for extra capacity.

Well that's my story, and I'm sticking to it, hahah.

So now thanks to Mick and the Dr, and anyone else who may have mentioned it but who I may have missed, the Docks Loop is now in place.

But it means that from this mornings 6 Sidings, I now only have 4 and a Loop, but TBH Less is more and I really do think it looks loads better for it.

Operationally it will cause a Bottelneck which was not uncommon I'm lead to believe, but that will only add to the running, rather than just arriving with a Train and sticking it in a Siding, I will need to think ahead, but thats part of the fun of operation.

So the FINAL FINAL incarnation of the Sidings.

post-9335-0-36964700-1485880692_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-81334400-1485880731_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-90437100-1485880789_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-96676800-1485880832_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-91821800-1485880875_thumb.jpg

Back with more pics later.

I think you'll have much more operational interest with that loop, Andy and no reason why trains should not be parked on sections of it from time to time.

Thanks Jonathan, yes it was you who said the second loop would add to the operational interest, and I think you right.

So now thanks to Mick and the Dr, and anyone else who may have mentioned it but who I may have missed, the Docks Loop is now in place.

But it means that from this mornings 6 Sidings, I now only have 4 and a Loop, but TBH Less is more and I really do think it looks loads better for it.

Operationally it will cause a Bottelneck which was not uncommon I'm lead to believe, but that will only add to the running, rather than just arriving with a Train and sticking it in a Siding, I will need to think ahead, but thats part of the fun of operation.

So the FINAL FINAL incarnation of the Sidings.

Back with more pics later.

The sidings look spot on Andy.  :sungum:

As for the loop, it looks ok to me, but only you will know if it suits the purpose it is intended to provide.  If it fails your objectives then returning it to a siding is simple.

I can see a lot of operating in the next few days and not much work being done, which would be a good thing for you :angel:

Archived