Bristol Victoria (Blues in the 80's)

Andrew P

A sequence of bridges in urban areas isn't that unusual.

I know it's in place now, but I think your viaduct might look better at the FY entrance, and have something a bit more spectacular on the corner - a bowstring girder or something. If the glue has dried on the viaduct, then just a different type of bridge/ bridges wouldn't stretch credibility (if you can find a distinct MR and GWR bridge for either line that could look good).

Have you got any pics of further round to the fiddle entrances with the canal and keepers cottage in the shot ? I'm having trouble visualizing that corner of the layout ! 

I am thinking maybe tunnel entrances with low relief, two storey, wharehouses on a  shallow backsene may be the better option, bearing in mind you need to be able to reach the 7mm fiddle yard in that corner.

A sequence of bridges in urban areas isn't that unusual.

I know it's in place now, but I think your viaduct might look better at the FY entrance, and have something a bit more spectacular on the corner - a bowstring girder or something. If the glue has dried on the viaduct, then just a different type of bridge/ bridges wouldn't stretch credibility (if you can find a distinct MR and GWR bridge for either line that could look good).

Have you got any pics of further round to the fiddle entrances with the canal and keepers cottage in the shot ? I'm having trouble visualizing that corner of the layout ! 

I am thinking maybe tunnel entrances with low relief, two storey, wharehouses on a  shallow backsene may be the better option, bearing in mind you need to be able to reach the 7mm fiddle yard in that corner.

I was outside photographing it as you posted.

post-9335-0-43818300-1485447938_thumb.jpg

And with the Backscene in place

post-9335-0-78280100-1485447917_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-12794600-1485448008_thumb.jpg

A couple of new ready to plant Buildings for the Town area, still need moving around a bit to get it looking right. The Warehouse in the corner came from Jason T of this Parish and was originally destined for his Bacup. 

post-9335-0-88856200-1485448903_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-16414700-1485448948_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-67350400-1485448988_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-03411700-1485449019_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Could you alter the angle of the exit from the scenic area so that the side nearest the dock branch is nearer the canal and the other side nearer Beale Street. This effectively forces the viewer the look "around the corner" towards the back of the layout but the view is hidden behind a view blocker of some sort between the dock branch and the other four tracks. That way you only have to worry about disguising the disappearance of the dock branch and that could perhaps also be achieved with another structure between the viewer and the track and set back nearer the exit point.

Not too eloquently put but I hope you get the idea.

Could you alter the angle of the exit from the scenic area so that the side nearest the dock branch is nearer the canal and the other side nearer Beale Street. This effectively forces the viewer the look "around the corner" towards the back of the layout but the view is hidden behind a view blocker of some sort between the dock branch and the other four tracks. That way you only have to worry about disguising the disappearance of the dock branch and that could perhaps also be achieved with another structure between the viewer and the track and set back nearer the exit point.

Thanks Ray, I fully understand what you mean, and that would work well, I could use the idea above for the Main Lines and then a Factory / Warehouse / Office Block to the right of the Pub but at Track level to hide the Docks Branch.

Another nice idea for the pot.

Thanks Ray.

You posted just as I was drawing this -

post-30166-0-89721700-1485450086_thumb.jpg

Wedge shaped 3d warehouse between docks branch and mainlines (in red), bridge or tunnel over docks branch and possibly over mains, low relief warehouses/buildings (in orange) along backscene. Bridges/tunnels over mains would not necissarily be needed depending on viewing angles.

I was a bit worried when the talk of new tracks came up (thoughts of overcrowding), but it's looking very good now.

You do realise that Bristol Victoria could be abbreviated to:

attachicon.gifbritvic.jpg

;)

Rich, I am going to pinch your idea and use the abbreviated Brit Vic when Posting, rather than writing it out in full.

Thanks.

You posted just as I was drawing this -

attachicon.gifpost-9335-0-78280100-1485447917.jpg

Wedge shaped 3d warehouse between docks branch and mainlines (in red), bridge or tunnel over docks branch and possibly over mains, low relief warehouses/buildings (in orange) along backscene. Bridges/tunnels over mains would not necissarily be needed depending on viewing angles.

Yet another nice idea, Thanks Andi, that would work.

For me this demonstrates just how important it is to have a robust design before you start building.

Trying to back fit solutions once the build has commenced is fraught with issues

For me this demonstrates just how important it is to have a robust design before you start building.

Trying to back fit solutions once the build has commenced is fraught with issues

Impressive list of layouts in your monika mate - did you build all them then?

For some that is part of the appeal - solving the problems as the arise.

Certainly it is for me. Not a great deal of enjoyment in a perfectly planned out layout that goes together as smoothly as an expensive kit, and I have trouble visualizing things until I see them on the layout. I try it, if it don't work, I try something else !

Each to their own, I suppose !

For some that is part of the appeal - solving the problems as the arise.

Certainly it is for me. Not a great deal of enjoyment in a perfectly planned out layout that goes together as smoothly as an expensive kit, and I have trouble visualizing things until I see them on the layout. I try it, if it don't work, I try something else !

Each to their own, I suppose !

Totally agree. You can make all the plans you want on paper but there can easily be something that doesn't quite go right half way through the build. Also you could have the "robust plan" but when you start to build it, it might not look quite as good as you thought it would. In both scenarios you would have to change the plan. As you say it's part of the fun sorting them out.

If you read through the thread Damian, you will see that originally the Fiddle Yard was going at the end where the Canal section is now.

Fortunately I secured more room by re designing my O Gauge to make room for the Fiddle Yard along that wall which has meant I now have another 12 to 15ft of visible running which has changed some situations including a new entrance for the Fiddle Yard.

Thinking on your feet and re planning on the go, that's what I was always taught.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy I haven't posted for a bit but I see you have been getting some conflicting information. I have lived in both Birmingham and Bristol. The green bits in Bristol are much closer to the centre than  in Brum. From the main shopping area you are one block from a big grassy area (castle park) bounded on the other side by the river with Warehouses on the other side. Queens Square is a grassed square surrounded by posh house bounded by Warehouses along the rivers/harbours. There are grassy bits along the feeder canal. So your design for the canal with the warehouses in the background matches the Bristol I have walked around. It is also bl00dy hilly it was a long climb from the Welsh back up to White ladies road Clifton when you reached Black Boy Hill you were on the edge of the Clfton Downs a huge grass area. South of Temple Meads are Totterdown and Bedminster big hills. From your terminus going northwards you would be skirting Highdown and Clifton Cotham Brow the Gloucester road climbs up to Horfield the railway lines are a little east of the road. So SM Mike's point about using tunnel mouths would be quite reasonable. 

I was in Birmingham early seventies moving out to Shropshire but still visiting Brum and the Black country regularly till 85 when I moved to Bristol for work so it is about your sort of timeframe. Bristol has a much more green and open aspect that Brum and whereas the canals were hidden more in Brum the rivers and the floating harbour were more open and major factors in the Bristol Landscape. 

You can paint a good picture and create a good one in 3D as well believe in your own ideas they normally look very good and if something does suit you change in a flash.

Don

edit for typos I dont know why I type Clifton Brow when I knew full well it was Cotham fingers and Brain not co-ordinated

• RMweb Premium

I am glad to see the central feature of the plan is the Pub.

If the Pencarne experience is anything to go by the locals around the Bristol docks are going to need a drink or two as their part of the world is about to get the Andy treatment.

Enjoyed reading your updates Andy layout looking wonderful and coming on at the usual pace ............very fast ..... :superman:  :superman: your getting some excellent feed back and really enjoyed looking through the pictures of the Bristol Docks railway .... Whatever you decide i'm sure it will be excellent and I would only add that you must include plenty of GROTTY HEAVY WEATHERED BUILDINGS AND WALLING......... a REAL URBAN FEELING IS A MUST !!!!!!!!

Archived