Bristol Victoria (Blues in the 80's)

Andrew P

Hi Andy

Enjoying the recent pictures. The sidings look just right now. I think the inclusion of the loop was a very good idea and will add a bit of operational interest. At least you can marshall a train with the jocko and push the wagons back towards the station and then get back to the sidings without a shunt release. Your mainline loco will then be able to trundle over from the depot at its leisure without leaving the jocko stranded on the blocks. Must say seeing all the trains on the layout makes it look very impressive and gives a feeling of the actual size. Great work mate.

Cheers

Marcus

• RMweb Gold

So now thanks to Mick and the Dr, and anyone else who may have mentioned it but who I may have missed, the Docks Loop is now in place.

But it means that from this mornings 6 Sidings, I now only have 4 and a Loop, but TBH Less is more and I really do think it looks loads better for it.

Operationally it will cause a Bottelneck which was not uncommon I'm lead to believe, but that will only add to the running, rather than just arriving with a Train and sticking it in a Siding, I will need to think ahead, but thats part of the fun of operation.

Looking good Andy - of course, if there's no traffic due to the docks, there is no reason why the new loop could not be used as a receiving siding to allow main line freights to be broken up for shunting, or compiled from wagons in different sidings.  The 08 could then pull the train into the headshunt, for the loco to drop onto the end from the depot.  Added operational activity!!

Its your layout, so I hope your pleased with how its come together, but personally, I think you've got the best outcome I've seen yet :) Very envious.  Yours has changed numerous times, I haven't got a point down yet!! SLOW DOWN!!!

:)

Rich

The sidings look spot on Andy.  :sungum:

As for the loop, it looks ok to me, but only you will know if it suits the purpose it is intended to provide.  If it fails your objectives then returning it to a siding is simple.

I can see a lot of operating in the next few days and not much work being done, which would be a good thing for you :angel:

Cheers Mick, loads of running coming up over the next few weeks, to ensure it's spot on, it's looking much better now, and has improved beyond first recognition thanks to every ones input, both on the Docks Loop and the Canal St Station.

Hi Andy

Enjoying the recent pictures. The sidings look just right now. I think the inclusion of the loop was a very good idea and will add a bit of operational interest. At least you can marshall a train with the jocko and push the wagons back towards the station and then get back to the sidings without a shunt release. Your mainline loco will then be able to trundle over from the depot at its leisure without leaving the jocko stranded on the blocks. Must say seeing all the trains on the layout makes it look very impressive and gives a feeling of the actual size. Great work mate.

Cheers

Marcus

Thanks Marcus, I have to say the Platforms and Shed is looking a little over crowded but that will be sorted once the rest of the Fiddle Yard has been laid, and I'm picking up the Points for that Job tomorrow.

Looking good Andy - of course, if there's no traffic due to the docks, there is no reason why the new loop could not be used as a receiving siding to allow main line freights to be broken up for shunting, or compiled from wagons in different sidings.  The 08 could then pull the train into the headshunt, for the loco to drop onto the end from the depot.  Added operational activity!!

Its your layout, so I hope your pleased with how its come together, but personally, I think you've got the best outcome I've seen yet :) Very envious.  Yours has changed numerous times, I haven't got a point down yet!! SLOW DOWN!!!

:)

Rich

Almost every change / idea / trial has made the overall feel of the Layout so much better, it's at a stage now where there's no more room for additional Track, so now it's down to the running / playing / testing and seeing just how well it all comes together.

And some more pics from yesterday, I really must start to use the Tripod again, as I get to much shake when holding the Camera, even on Shake Mode.

attachicon.gifTesting the Goods Sidings 025.JPG

attachicon.gifTesting the Goods Sidings 026.JPG

attachicon.gifTesting the Goods Sidings 027.JPG

attachicon.gifTesting the Goods Sidings 028.JPG

attachicon.gifTesting the Goods Sidings 029.JPG

attachicon.gifTesting the Goods Sidings 030.JPG

attachicon.gifTesting the Goods Sidings 031.JPG

More again later.

:jester: Calm down Andy it's only a layout.........I know you get excited shunting into those ' kinky curved ' sidings.....no need to shake mate  :jester:

By the way has anyone noticed this thread is about to hit page 40 and not even a mention of 'GRASS'''

Great stuff Andy looking brilliant ......

:jester: Calm down Andy it's only a layout.........I know you get excited shunting into those ' kinky curved ' sidings.....no need to shake mate  :jester:

By the way has anyone noticed this thread is about to hit page 40 and not even a mention of 'GRASS'''

Great stuff Andy looking brilliant ......

Thanks martin, even when I posed my Artist's impressions no one mentioned the Grass, hahah. that will be a long way off yet mate.

Still loads of Running before then, and ONLY when I'm 100% happy will I move on to the next stage, so the Layout may look dormant for a few weeks now, apart from some small jobs that I can do like putting the Stiffeners in the Platforms, or painting the main Platform etc.

One major job for tomorrow will be to ........................................WELL you'll just have to wait and see, hhahah :no:

O.K. Just been reading up on Oil Trains. :sungum:

Wish I hadn't. :O

I have a lovely rake of GREEN TTA's, :sungum:  but apparently there to New for my 1980's Period, :O (Peter / PCM did tell me this the other day actually). :no:

Also Trains of mixed Companies would be unusual. :O .

Also Tanks with BP / Shell would be to OLD :no:

So my TOTALLY WRONG Oil Train with some Green TTA's sitting in the Depot will need scrapping tomorrow. :scared:  :scared: :scared:  

I have a lovely rake of GREEN TTA's, :sungum:  but apparently there to New for my 1980's Period, :O (Peter / PCM did tell me this the other day actually). :no:

So my TOTALLY WRONG Oil Train with some Green TTA's sitting in the Depot will need scrapping tomorrow. :scared:  :scared:

I might just spray them ALL BLACK, :sungum:

I might just spray them ALL BLACK, :sungum:

Mine are all grey with no branding on - I have absolutely no idea whether this is even remotely appropriate for 50's/60's era, but they look good behind my Cl37's !  :senile:

Sidings are looking good - you have lots of operating potential there I think ! 

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

I think the TOTAL branded wagon would be ok for the era - I remember those!  Not sure if it helps or not, if your looking for flows to recreate, then this topic might be of interest, see the PDF downloadable in the first post.  We're starting to list as many flows, both wagonload and bulk, as possible, together with customer and wagon types ... so if your looking for inspiration it may be of use. 

If your just running freights that you like to see, then it might not be of interest!!

Rich

Hi Andy,

I think the TOTAL branded wagon would be ok for the era - I remember those!  Not sure if it helps or not, if your looking for flows to recreate, then this topic might be of interest, see the PDF downloadable in the first post.  We're starting to list as many flows, both wagonload and bulk, as possible, together with customer and wagon types ... so if your looking for inspiration it may be of use. 

If your just running freights that you like to see, then it might not be of interest!!

Rich

Thanks Rich,

I will check that thread out - could be interesting ! I do tend to just go for the stuff I like rather than stock that is specific to a time and place, although, I do generally try to keep within my chosen timeframe of 1950-1970. I do have a rake of Pontithel wagons which belonged to a chemical company producing Naphthalene from coal tar. This company was based just a couple of miles from the village in Wales where I grew up as a child, and the factory owners house is still there. They are very out of period for me as the company ceased trading in the 1920's, (Hey - Rule #1 and all that !   :laugh:  :laugh: ) but, nostalgia took a hold !

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy

Last night I saw your mixed company tank train and thought that is a no no, then I had a second thought. It is a trip working down to the docks, fuel for the various ships in the harbour. The shipping merchants would order fuel for the ships not all of them would order from the same oil company so it is quite feasible for the trip working to the docks could have more than one company's wagons. 

Alternatively remove the company logos or repaint them, because during the period you are modelling most tanks ran unbranded and those that still carried company names  were waiting to be disowned. with unbranded tank wagons no one can tell if they are from different companies at a quick glance. Have a look through Paul Bartlett's wonderful site.

I have a lovely rake of GREEN TTA's, :sungum: but apparently there to New for my 1980's Period, :O (Peter / PCM did tell me this the other day actually). :no:

Also Trains of mixed Companies would be unusual. :O .

So my TOTALLY WRONG Oil Train with some Green TTA's sitting in the Depot will need scrapping tomorrow. :scared: :scared: :scared:

I had noticed this but hadn't pointed it out as Rule 1 is in force.

I have the same problem.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/36519-oil-tanks-help/

Morning all, Thanks good fellows of R M Web, Once again your input is really appreciated and some wonderful reasons etc. to use mixed Tanks.

I like Clive's thinking of the Trip working down to the Docks, If I went down that Route Clive, I could always assume that there was a Larger Marshalling Yard just past Canal St Station, which would also give me the excuse for lots of Speedlink type Trip workings from there to BV Yard, and then with a few more Vehicles attached / detached onward to the Docks with the 08.

I'll be off outside shortly, and should have some important new developments to show you about 11 O'clock ish.

EDIT  = I've decided that there is definitely a Speedlink Yard just past Canal St, so more Trip workings to and from the Docks, and also for the Midland Route that has to use BV to access it.

• RMweb Premium

With apologies to Andy in advance for drifting off topic (and this is in no way a criticism of his train formations) but as one interested in the operational side of (actual) railways I'd like to expand my knowledge . . . . . 

Andy's shown a picture of the single Class 20 and several wagons but no brake van. Where did the guard ride in such a train or had single manning taken over by then?

My memories of the industrial relations on the railways makes me think that a guard wouldn't be (officially) allowed to ride with the driver even on a single cab loco.

As an aside and (again) as someone who took their eye of the real railway for a while at the end of the 20th century, when did Class 20s either start to generally run around in pairs or largely cease to run singularly?

Sorry Andy for the drift but it saves a separate topic.

Late, but better late than never.

The Fiddle Yard is now all but finished, (just needs one more Point for another Track at the front).

As you will see from the diagram below, I can work 16T Minerals in a prototypical manner to and from the Docks, and to and from Radstock Colliery.

I could have made removable Loads for the Coal Wagons, but I already have 18 with fixed Loads so that was a no no. So I will empty some and make two X 15 Wagon Trains.

post-9335-0-05994100-1486034635_thumb.png

post-9335-0-31231000-1486034677_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-11694900-1486034714_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-97227600-1486034735_thumb.jpg

So my TOTALLY WRONG Oil Train with some Green TTA's sitting in the Depot will need scrapping tomorrow. :scared:  :scared: :scared:  

Hi Andy,

Could you sell the green ones and replace them with grey or black ones. Also can the Esso and BP signage be removed leaving then just plain grey. It would save a repaint and buying transfers. You can mix black and grey ones together too they can be from the same company BP or whatever just the black means a different fuel to the grey.

Cheers Peter.

With apologies to Andy in advance for drifting off topic (and this is in no way a criticism of his train formations) but as one interested in the operational side of (actual) railways I'd like to expand my knowledge . . . . . 

Andy's shown a picture of the single Class 20 and several wagons but no brake van. Where did the guard ride in such a train or had single manning taken over by then?

My memories of the industrial relations on the railways makes me think that a guard wouldn't be (officially) allowed to ride with the driver even on a single cab loco.

As an aside and (again) as someone who took their eye of the real railway for a while at the end of the 20th century, when did Class 20s either start to generally run around in pairs or largely cease to run singularly?

Sorry Andy for the drift but it saves a separate topic.

Hi Ray,

By the mid 80s most freight was fully fitted so didn't need a brake van, the guard/trainman would be on the loco. 

I think Class 20s were running as pairs by the 70s. By the 80s most class 20s were running as pairs and it was more uncommon to see one on it's own though it did happen.

Cheers Peter.

Archived