Bristol Victoria (Blues in the 80's)

Andrew P

Very good point.

I really want my local shop on the north side of Brisbane to continue - the guys in there are great and really try hard to track down stuff. But the sad reality is that they cannot compete for range or price with UKinternet stores. I get most of my stuff in parcels from the UK these days.

But as Andy says a store that is just five minutes away and has the small crucial items comes in very handy and needs to be supported.

Yeah, I feel for you guys down under, and with parcels from Blighty arriving upside down as well! :O

I agree Andy. I miss our local model shop that was always worth a browse.

Tutbury has probably the biggest Second Hand selection in the area and everything else the modeller needs as well from Solder to Track, from Paints and Glues to Static Flocks from Peco, Gaugemaster and Woodlands Scenic's, New Oxford, Hornby, Bachmann and Dapol, even O Gauge.

Well worth a visit 7 days a week.

There's one or two model shops that are bucking the trend of shutting, just over a year ago one opened in Barnsley for first time in years and its thriving ,but it has had to move with the times and it's main business is war gaming and card gaming which is fair enough but it does stock all the bits I want and if not they'll order them in

It's doing so well they expanded and bought tags at Doncaster ,also now in corporating war gaming and the like

(Usual disclaimer of no connection other than a satisfied customer)

But with combining with the war gaming it does seam to have caught a huge market round here

I do agree the old school modelshop of old are dying off unless your a internet box shifter

Sorry for going OT Andy

Brian

That's O.K. Bri, I started it.

Totally agree Andy,

I've seen plenty go with an obituary in recent years never to be seen again. I'm in the fortunate position of being between Chester model railway centre (Paul is a great guy and helpful to the nth degree a traditional shop owner and a gem for advice) S&J models and grimy times in Warrington. The harsh reality is that times are tough. Grimy times primarily provide a service with the shop as a secondary thing. Paul has been hit hard with Hornby's recent woes and S&J is an aladdins cave which has stemmed the modern time that has lost many future modellers. Two shops in Widnes one of which is Hattons also help to keep me sane, but I feel many of these stores could do with reinventing in terms of weathering, scratch building, scenic building and electrics type workshops etc.... but alas this costs time as well as money and I'm not sure overheads would work out favourable.

John

I've bought a few bits from S&J by mail order so never been to the Shop, and very good they are too.

Looking great Andy

Thanks Shed? thanks for popping in, still loads to do, but getting there slowly, as I said I would with this build. A year or two ago I would have been very disappointed not to have it at least ballasted and fully running by now, but I'm happy with it's slow and steady progress.

That's O.K. Bri, I started it.

I've bought a few bits from S&J by mail order so never been to the Shop, and very good they are too.

Imagine the living room of an average size house with shelves on every wall crammed full of the stuff that's getting increasingly difficult to get your hands on plus the new stuff. Great for those little projects we have.

So back ON/Topic         :offtopic:     NO I said ON TOPIC.

I've only done a little wiring this morning, but the Goods Yard need a lot of feeds so may be able to finish it off later. I did a full run of the Docks Branch to test that part of the Fiddle Yard and this week I'll put an edging along in front of the Fiddle Yard to ensure that nothing gets knocked off whilst working over there re arranging Stock etc.

Question about the goods yard, it might just be me but how are the wagons supposed to be unloaded? They look like you haven't allowed much more than the standard 6' between roads so no one could gain any access down either side of vehicles to actually unload anything off them! Looks more like a collection of sidings with no real purpose than a goods yard.

Question about the goods yard, it might just be me but how are the wagons supposed to be unloaded? They look like you haven't allowed much more than the standard 6' between roads so no one could gain any access down either side of vehicles to actually unload anything off them! Looks more like a collection of sidings with no real purpose than a goods yard.

Your right, it's not actually a Goods Yard, more of a Marshalling Yard for the Docks and onward transfer of Traffic to other Regions. Wrong wording by me, sorry.

Afternoon Andy.

I like the look of the mock up of the entrance to the fiddle yard. Much more interesting than the usual bridge or tunnel mouth. Plus a bit more operational interest with local services stopping in the platform. Excellent idea indeed.

Quite agree about your views of supporting your local model shop. I buy most of my rolling stock from AE Oakes at Langley Green. As you say if your short of the odd little item their always there when you need them.

Cheers

Marcus

Well all the wiring is now completed, and so some serious playing  WHOOPS SORRY testing can begin. probably not tonight but hopefully some tomorrow. once that's done I can fit the Kadee Magnets and look at wiring the Point Motors, OR MAYBE NOT, :O  horrible job and definitely NOT one I'm looking forward to :scared: . :no:

.......... and look at wiring the Point Motors, OR MAYBE NOT, :O  horrible job and definitely NOT one I'm looking forward to :scared: . :no:

What point motors are you using Andy ?  I usually use Seep or the Hornby/Peco type. What I do is wire the motors up to a chocolate block type connector before fitting - makes things a lot easier when scrabbling about under the boards ! That said, my current layout allowed me to wire each board upside down on the workbench and test as I was going along, but I still used the choc block connectors. Makes it easier to swap out a duff one too.

What point motors are you using Andy ?  I usually use Seep or the Hornby/Peco type. What I do is wire the motors up to a chocolate block type connector before fitting - makes things a lot easier when scrabbling about under the boards ! That said, my current layout allowed me to wire each board upside down on the workbench and test as I was going along, but I still used the choc block connectors. Makes it easier to swap out a duff one too.

Hi Andi, there all Peco and I've put long tails on them to reach the Switches and there all tested when wired. I need to make a shelf for the Peco Lever Frame to sit on and put a feed in from the Transformer, no big jobs, and not hard work, just a pain in the A to bring all the wires up to the switches in right order.

• RMweb Premium

Probably a day late for my two penn'orth on the new station idea - but anyway - a different option would be a single island platform between either the WR or LMR lines, so clearly belonging to just one company in the past, and underlining the fact that the two sets of tracks are going to different places eventually ..... just a thought.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Andi, there all Peco and I've put long tails on them to reach the Switches and there all tested when wired. I need to make a shelf for the Peco Lever Frame to sit on and put a feed in from the Transformer, no big jobs, and dot hard work, just a pain in the A to bring all the wires up to the switches in right order.

Oh, are you not using the DCC for the points then, or do you have another cunning plan ?  Mine are all running back to decoders under each of the boards, so relatively short runs and no more than four runs per board, either, which helped. I plan to upgrade to DCC Concepts Cobolt (or similar) eventually, as, whilst I like the extra functionality of DCC, I still prefer knobs and switches - feels more like you are interacting with the railway, unlike my current setup which has all the control via a touchscreen laptop.

Probably a day late for my two penn'orth on the new station idea - but anyway - a different option would be a single island platform between either the WR or LMR lines, so clearly belonging to just one company in the past, and underlining the fact that the two sets of tracks are going to different places eventually ..... just a thought.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks for your thoughts and idea Chris, but because of it's proximity to the incoming Fiddle Yard Points I can't separate the Tracks, besides I do like the Four Platform Faces.

Thanks anyway.

Evening Andy,

Just having a catch up and wow you have been busy. The station and Marshalling yard looks great. I really love the entrance to the fiddleyard too the station idea will work really well.

One problem that I can see though. And I have had the same problem. I think you will need more sidings in your fiddleyard. lol

Seriously though this ones a cracker. 

Cheers Peter.

post-9335-0-99676200-1485776157_thumb.jpg

Hello Buddy, Glad to see you have now got a nice big fiddle yard, plenty of room for loads of trains, cant wait to come down for a play...

Evening Andy,

Just having a catch up and wow you have been busy. The station and Marshalling yard looks great. I really love the entrance to the fiddleyard too the station idea will work really well.

One problem that I can see though. And I have had the same problem. I think you will need more sidings in your fiddleyard. lol

Seriously though this ones a cracker. 

Cheers Peter.

Morning Guys, well George, as Peter has said, the Fiddle Yard may need to be bigger, one thing that has come to light is the lack of Yard room on the Scenic section. Although I have 6 Sidings, there only short so the amount of Stock capacity is quite limited. This however may turn into an advantage later on, as I will need to move Stock in and out more.

Here's a few pics from this morning, as the Camera had a flat battery yesterday, hence no pics yesterday.

post-9335-0-99676200-1485776157_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-50130300-1485776190_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-43244000-1485776207_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-25523100-1485776225_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-77722700-1485776277_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-94978600-1485776298_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-72486000-1485776315_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-88868100-1485776339_thumb.jpg

More pics later.

• RMweb Gold

I like the look of all that track Andy!

If you're concerned about the lack of length in the sidings you could consider swapping the entry to the siding and the shunter storage road around. That way your 08 could be stored between the main line and the entrance to the sidings which from the photos could give you maybe 20-30 cm extra on each one which would be enough for another couple of wagons.

Only thing is you'd need to do it without spoiling all those wonderful curves that you have (or rather that your track layout has) because they look great!

Kind regards, Neil

I like the look of all that track Andy!

If you're concerned about the lack of length in the sidings you could consider swapping the entry to the siding and the shunter storage road around. That way your 08 could be stored between the main line and the entrance to the sidings which from the photos could give you maybe 20-30 cm extra on each one which would be enough for another couple of wagons.

Only thing is you'd need to do it without spoiling all those wonderful curves that you have (or rather that your track layout has) because they look great!

Kind regards, Neil

Food for thought Neil, I will play with it for a few weeks and then decide what to do, if anything. The Stabling Point is also the Programing Track, but I can always do that in one of the Sidings if needs be.

Thanks for the idea mate.

Great photos mate, love the parcels stock.

Banger Blue is very, very tempting...

Al.

Hi Al, I'm really enjoying the Banger Blue so some other stuff that was used on Pencarne may eventually go to build up funds for other things. 

There will be a New Addition to the Family in a few days.

Class 50, Ajax.

post-9335-0-53726300-1485783555_thumb.jpg

Food for thought Neil, I will play with it for a few weeks and then decide what to do, if anything. The Stabling Point is also the Programing Track, but I can always do that in one of the Sidings if needs be.

Thanks for the idea mate.

Everyone likes the curves Andy :boast:

Can you post a photo looking from the 08 stabling point back to the parcels office please

Everyone likes the curves Andy :boast:

Can you post a photo looking from the 08 stabling point back to the parcels office please

Will do Mick, I will do a fresh one later, but are a few from last week as a guide.

post-9335-0-03390200-1485784208_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-82551800-1485784232_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-33880000-1485784259_thumb.jpg

Archived