Bristol Victoria (Blues in the 80's)

Andrew P

Oh dear what awaits Bristol Victoria :)

Thanks Steve, but I'd rather not have Videos that are none Railway please.

John,

I don't think anything is OT when it comes to one of Andy's threads............................ :sungum:

Nice views of Regents Street over 30 years ago in that video.

Thanks Peter, but I'd rather keep it a bit On Topic.

• RMweb Premium

Hahhah, Ray, I'm on the promise of one on Saturday at GCR Loughborough by Binny / Jeff for doing a weathering Job on his Black 5.

attachicon.gifWeathering 035.JPG

attachicon.gifWeathering 033.JPG

You know that Black Five doesn't look too out of place there Andy. 

There's an enjoyable thread here that examines  the transition from steam to corporate image. It would all make interesting modeling!

Regards Shaun

Well Guys, I guess it's time to admit that BV has hit the Buffers, once again it has proved that I can't do Main Line Terminus Stations, (this is my second attempt in 2 years, remember the failed Whittaker St), so I will close this thread down now.

The REPLACEMENT has already been planned and will be shown in a week or two once it's Laid and Wired and I'M HAPPY WITH IT.

Thanks for all your support Guys, the New Layout will be somewhat different.

And in other News, I will also be starting a replacement for Pencarne in a couple of Weeks as well.

Thanks,

Andy.

Well Guys, I guess it's time to admit that BV has hit the Buffers, once again it has proved that I can't do Main Line Terminus Stations, (this is my second attempt in 2 years, remember the failed Whittaker St), so I will close this thread down now.

The REPLACEMENT has already been planned and will be shown in a week or two once it's Laid and Wired and I'M HAPPY WITH IT.

And in other News, I will also be starting a replacement for Pencarne in a couple of Weeks as well.

Thanks,

Andy.

Something similar to the much admired Pencarne?

Dave

Edit: Sorry, somehow missed the sentence about Pencarne in your post - more haste less speed needed.

Thanks,

Andy.

Sad in some ways but I for one am extremely pleased to hear talk of a replacement for Pencarne which IMHO was superbly executed.

Good luck with the new plans.

All the best,

Brian.

I did say a few days ago Andy that you had already planned the replacement. However I am looking forward to version (insert number here between 1 to 99).

But I do like you methodology get a plan up and running and see if it works make changes or start again. I will be following your next iteration with interest.

Keith HC

• RMweb Gold

Sad to hear that BV has hit the buffers. My plans are along the same lines and I'm very glad that you shared your journey as I've already taken some inspiration and ideas from it. I will come back to this thread when I get to the relevant stages in building.

Paul.

Sad to hear BV is the latest project to hit the buffers. I was just starting to enjoy the progress. I think Andy misses Pencarne, which I personally thought was perfection, I will be interested to see what the plans are for the replacement. The next developments will be very interesting. Good luck Andy, I will follow the next threads with interest. Ultimately you have got to get a design that is right for you.

Shame BV is no more. Was it operational issues that killed it off? Whatever the replacement is I hope there's a nice diesel depot lurking in it somewhere.

The Diesel Depot has been cut out in it's entirety, what I mean is the board that it was on, has had the top removed, 18 screws, and then cut down to 18 inches wide and has been fitted over my Workbench as a start for the New Project.

THANKS to all you others as well for you Likes / Support.

• RMweb Premium

48 pages and over 1175 posts and then poof up she goes.

Is this some kind of a record?

Just shows you how much interest you generate with your layouts - or ideas for layouts.

Looking forward to the next layout/layouts and the others that will invariably follow.

• RMweb Premium

Andy, always a pity to give up on something when you've invested time, effort and money in to it but if you weren't happy then there's no point throwing good after bad. I must say however that I'm not surprised you've killed off BV as you never really seemed to settle on what you wanted and just seemed to add more 'operational interest' every time you hit a snag. This added complication probably added to rather than sorted out your woes.

Whilst there's a school of thought that says crack on without thinking or planning with the next project, I think it would be time well spent reviewing all your previous projects and working out what it was you really enjoyed with some and what it was that caused you to abandon and scrap the rest. Planning does mean that you have a clearer set of objectives and results in less abortive work and wasted cash. When I realised that the hand built track on my layout was going to be a big investment in cost, time and effort it really focused my mind getting the trackplan right. Perhaps in contrast Peco is too easy to rip up and relay ;-p

From the outside looking in I would say that the layouts you appear to have been happier with were those with a simpler trackplan with room for scenics. Sometimes less is more!

Andy, always a pity to give up on something when you've invested time, effort and money in to it but if you weren't happy then there's no point throwing good after bad. I must say however that I'm not surprised you've killed off BV as you never really seemed to settle on what you wanted and just seemed to add more 'operational interest' every time you hit a snag. This added complication probably added to rather than sorted out your woes.

Whilst there's a school of thought that says crack on without thinking or planning with the next project, I think it would be time well spent reviewing all your previous projects and working out what it was you really enjoyed with some and what it was that caused you to abandon and scrap the rest. Planning does mean that you have a clearer set of objectives and results in less abortive work and wasted cash. When I realised that the hand built track on my layout was going to be a big investment in cost, time and effort it really focused my mind getting the trackplan right. Perhaps in contrast Peco is too easy to rip up and relay ;-p

From the outside looking in I would say that the layouts you appear to have been happier with were those with a simpler trackplan with room for scenics. Sometimes less is more!

Thanks Chris and spot on, a couple of my favourites were Kingsmill and Fiddlers Yard for operation, and for Scenics it was definitely Pencarne, So I have moved the Depot Scene of BV to the other side of the Shed and I'm working on a Depot / Marshalling Yard, with room for Industry along the back. So plenty of Shunting and no real time frame so I can run my Steam or Blue Diesels as the mood takes me.

For the pretty Scenics, I now have a Scenic area of about 15ft x 2.5ft for a BLT where Pencarne and latterly BV stood. The actual Terminus will be smaller and more compact than Pencarne, thus leaving a good area for the Track to run between Fields, Farms, hopefully a Stream / River etc, but unlike Pencarne, almost no Buildings / Village Scene, so a lot more Rural. Also I will be using the New Peco Bull Head Rail for this Layout.

Both new threads will start once I'm happy and this time the Track Plan wont be changed. I have laid most of the Marshalling Yard today and just need to add some droppers over the next week and then TEST TEST TEST. then start a thread.

Thanks Chris and spot on, a couple of my favourites were Kingsmill and Fiddlers Yard for operation, and for Scenics it was definitely Pencarne, So I have moved the Depot Scene of BV to the other side of the Shed and I'm working on a Depot / Marshalling Yard, with room for Industry along the back. So plenty of Shunting and no real time frame so I can run my Steam or Blue Diesels as the mood takes me.

For the pretty Scenics, I now have a Scenic area of about 15ft x 2.5ft for a BLT where Pencarne and latterly BV stood. The actual Terminus will be smaller and more compact than Pencarne, thus leaving a good area for the Track to run between Fields, Farms, hopefully a Stream / River etc, but unlike Pencarne, almost no Buildings / Village Scene, so a lot more Rural. Also I will be using the New Peco Bull Head Rail for this Layout.

Both new threads will start once I'm happy and this time the Track Plan wont be changed. I have laid most of the Marshalling Yard today and just need to add some droppers over the next week and then TEST TEST TEST. then start a thread.

Are you going to wait until Peco release the Bullhead Turnouts? (They've said due Easter, which is only a few weeks away) - I've been building turnouts for ages now, but if Peco produce something anywhere near reasonable I would jump straight in and use them - I've been procrastinating for far too long (although I do have baseboards done and have one last set of legs to make, oh and decorate the room it's going to live in!) - need to run some trains soon! Oh, and I've just discovered sound .....was up till 1am the other night chuffing and playing (sorry, operating, actually, no PLAYING with whistles etc).....grandchildren are going to love it!

Are you going to wait until Peco release the Bullhead Turnouts? (They've said due Easter, which is only a few weeks away) - I've been building turnouts for ages now, but if Peco produce something anywhere near reasonable I would jump straight in and use them - I've been procrastinating for far too long (although I do have baseboards done and have one last set of legs to make, oh and decorate the room it's going to live in!) - need to run some trains soon! Oh, and I've just discovered sound .....was up till 1am the other night chuffing and playing (sorry, operating, actually, no PLAYING with whistles etc).....grandchildren are going to love it!

I'm not to sure about the Points yet Steve, I've seen the pics and read some comments, the Sleepering just doesn't look right to me, but then I'm no expert. If I don't like them, I'll either make my own or just use Code 75. again, I know that wont be perfect, but I feel that at least they look right.

I've used SMP with Code 75 Points on Porth Merryn, (see next Months Railway Modeller, plug, plug, plug), and that worked ok once I'd used a packing under the Track due to differeing Sleeper thickness.

• RMweb Premium

I'm not to sure about the Points yet Steve, I've seen the pics and read some comments, the Sleepering just doesn't look right to me, but then I'm no expert. If I don't like them, I'll either make my own or just use Code 75. again, I know that wont be perfect, but I feel that at least they look right.

I've used SMP with Code 75 Points on Porth Merryn, (see next Months Railway Modeller, plug, plug, plug), and that worked ok once I'd used a packing under the Track due to differeing Sleeper thickness.

I remember you telling me that you had a drawer full of hand-built points from Bitton just waiting to be re-used...

Sorry to see it go but it's certainly given me some inspiration for my next project following the house move later this year.  I'm likely going to have less space, and a shed to put it in, but I have had discussions elsewhere on the forum about a "double Minories" type plan that is very similar in concept to what you had with the junction and the dock branch, so your efforts were again not in vain.

Archived