if something doesn`t feel right

SGJ

I recently sold my DCC Sound large logo Bachmann class 37 (37057 VIKING) on ebay, the model was sent out and received however the buyer said the sound didn`t work as it should, the loco engine sound doesn't increase when its moving ( revs / throttle sound ). 

I suggested that he looks at the CVs,

I had changed the speed steps from 28 to 128 as it was for shunting on my layout I don't use the sound option I emailed a youtube link of the loco shunting 

He emailed me back saying that he wanted a proposal from me so I said to send the loco back and when it arrives in the boxed condition that I sent it in I will refund his paypal account.

This is the bit that has got me thinking something isn`t right,

He then emailed me back asking to keep the loco and just send the Sound decoder back,

I have then sent an email saying "I think Its best to send the entire model back I can still use it on my layout ( Carr Crofts ) as I can use it to shunt my coal train ( I am not into sound models anyway ) so as before send the model back in the same boxed condition as it was when sent out and I will refund you back via paypal when I receive the model."

I am thinking that the buyer wants the 37 but not the sound or wants a partial refund to get the loco cheeper, they are fairly uncommon on ebay there is a Lima and a Hornby one ( both EWS livery ) but no Bachmann one at the moment.

should I stick to saying send the whole model back as I don`t think it right to send just the decoder back to me  ?

Simon

The loco on youtube when shunting on my layout with the sound off

Stick to your guns, if he has taken the model aoart then he has accepted it as it is, he could do al sorts of undesirable stuff if he has got inside it.

Make it clear that if the body or any part of the loco has been removed then you will not be able to refund, and state that the body, chassis and sound decoder have been marked to prevent fraud!

• RMweb Gold

yep, get him to send the loco back complete and relist it with the above video showing it working perfectly, I know it will be annoying to lose out on a big money sale right before christmas but as you say it's a rare loco and it will sell for good money day in day out, make sure he returns it under eBay's return policy too so you are covered incase it mysteriously 'goes missing' in the post, if not he may try for a refund through PayPal etc, not saying the buyer is dishonest but you never know

also whats to say he doesnt send a completley different dodgy decoder back and keeps the loco with the good chip still fitted?

as for my own 'something doesnt feel right' won a sony PS4 games console for a decent buy it now price yesterday for my eldests christmas present but now im thinking it may not turn up or there will be something amiss with it if it does, although admittedly i dont think it will arrive before christmas!

If the sound chip was factory fitted then the chances are it will have the lable on it to say that if removed it will no longer have a warranty. These earlier sound chips cannot I believe be reblown, so to get them sorted you would have to return the whole loco to Bachmann.

• 2 weeks later...

How did things work out?

The buyer didn`t send the model back, he wanted to send the decoder on its own witch I refused, then he said he wanted to keep the model and I should refund him, I still said no and to send the model back for a full refund, he then decided to keep the model and asked for about £30 back, I still said no.

He decided that he was keeping the model and left me negative feedback.

I don`t think that there was anything wrong with the class 37 

Something that might be just be a coincidence is the buyer bought a Bachmann sound decoder in November but who knows

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Decodeur-DCC-Bachmann-ESU-Lokpilot-V3-0-21-Pins-DIGITAL-/322310215822?nma=true&si=cWbCO%252BaOvEzhYQa%252F6VyEIELVPBQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

• RMweb Gold

Report him for unfair feedback and contact eBay by phone to discuss it, (speaking to hem direct is a lot better than using the electronic service) contact them on 0800 358 6551

as long as you have made contact through the eBay messaging service they will see all your messages and how you offered to refund the loco etc and that he demanded money off, as you appear to have been offering a fair resolution that he declined you may well get the feedback removed

I did it last week when I was left a negative for a bodyshell I sold where the buyer claimed there were no buffers despite the description stating there were none and the picture clearly showing non fitted (the funniest bit was trying to describe what a buffer is to someone who doesn't know trains)

As for my "doesn't feel right" regards the PlayStation 4 I mentioned above, it's not turned up, my eldest lads Christmas was spoilt and I've got to go into town later to buy him a replacement, dispute being opened tomorrow to get my money back through PayPal

• RMweb Gold

... leave him negative feedback, report him to eBay and forget about the whole issue. You don't really have any options and you have completed the sale.

eBay has always been full of scammers.

Unfortunately you can't leave him negative as a seller any more, however he does have options as I've mentioned above

Yup - you can't leave negative feedback for a buyer. I got negative feedback about a year ago and was uncharacteristically annoyed by it as there was sod-all wrong with the item. As described, dispatched quickly using a signed-for service etc etc. I wanted revenge. I added the buyer to my list of "favourite sellers" and waited a couple of months for him to list something. That was too expensive. A week or two later he listed some drill bits for a pound. I bought them and they were perfectly as described. Yup, he got a "negative". Boy, did it feel good. Yes, I will surely go straight to Hell..

:devil:

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the feedback he has left for you I can't see an issue with eBay getting it removed

"Lovely loco, but sound not working, no ammicable resolution possible"

For a start you say he states the sound was working but not properly, you offered to sort that for him and as for no ammicable resolution, you offered him a full refund that he refused, had you said tough luck then that would have been a no resolution issue

Certainly worth a chat with eBay about

Now if you had have listed it on the classifieds on here for £150 I would have bought it and you would have had no hassle!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I `ve  had very good ebay  experience since I started in 2002.

This week I sold a lot of my old 4mm stock.

One buyer did not pay, or answer my request to correct his missing name and address ( as on the print delivery label button)

I have cancelled his order and reported the fact that no name and address is available on his details.

is this a trick on how not to pay ?? Or am I missing something????

John

Archived