RMweb

57xx

I thought the comments made by Ferrari in the '80s had a wonderful sense of irony about them. I am sorry if they caused any offence.

Didn't cause me any offence, just puzzlement.  To me they sounded more like sour grapes, or perhaps just Ferrari's somewhat legendary peevishness, than a "smack down" (which is a pretty horrible phrase anyway IMO).

I have in front of me just now a book by Enzo Ferrari (I suspect fairly heavily ghost written) published in Italy in 1995 and called piloti, che gente... (roughly: "Drivers, what guys...")  The book says this about Jackie Stewart: "Stewart è stato un genuine campione.  Un uomo che non concedeva molto agli avversari.  Sapeva quello che voleva e lo sa tuttora.  A parte le qualità eccezionali del whisky che offre agli amici, direi proprio che è un ragioniere e nei suoi conti ha sempre amministrato scrupulosamente anche il rischio.  Lo ammiro, anche se disdegnava le macchine con le ruote coperte...  È entrato con autorità nella rosa dei migliori di tutti i tempi, e non soltanto per i tre mondiali che ha riportato.  Lo ricordo al volante di una Ferrari, in coppia con Amon, in una 1000 Chilometri di Brands Hatch che fu decivisa per iltitolo mondiale del campionato Marche del 1967."

Stewart was a real champion. A man who did not concede much to his opponents. He knew what he wanted and still knows. Aside from the exceptional qualities of the whisky offered to friends, I would say that he is an analytical man and in his analyses he has always scrupulously accounted for risk as well. I admire him, even though he didn't think much of sport cars... He arrived on the scene with authority in the best of all times, and not just for the three world championships he won.  I remember him at the wheel of a Ferrari, in partnership with Amon, in a 1,000 Kilometers of Brands Hatch which clinched the World Sportscar Championship for Ferrari in 1967.

Across pages 398 and 399 is a photo of Stewart in the 330 P4 he drove with Chris Amon in that 1967 BOAC 500 at Brands Hatch.

Of course, it was later in that year that Stewart declined Ferrari's offer of a factory drive...

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 1

Notwithstanding his otherwise impeccable record, wasn’t DC the only driver to have an “off” on a formation lap?

Nope.  Prost at Imola in 1991 - in a Ferrari, which would have been popular with the tifosi.  It was p1ssing down, though.  Berger went off at the same corner in his McLaren but managed to keep it running and take the start.  Grosjean put his Haas in the wall in Brazil in 2016 - again in the wet.  Crisjian Albers managed to take out Michael Schumacher on the parade lap of the 2005 Chinese GP in the dry: both drivers started from the pit lane in their spare cars.

There may be others.

DC seems to be the only one to have done it from pole, though!

Notwithstanding his otherwise impeccable record, wasn’t DC the only driver to have an “off” on a formation lap?

A crash at Monza in 1995. He had qualified in pole, too.

Arguably it's more understandable to crash in a formation lap (when you're still getting used to the car and the track conditions, and everyone's swerving about to warm the tyres up), than during the slowing-down lap....

As to Moss, he didn't just win with Ferrari - most of his more famous victories were with Mercedes. He would almost certainly have won the 1958 Championship had he not sportingly requested that eventual winner Mike Hawthorne's disqualification from a race be revoked, and who knows what he might have achieved had his career not been cut short by an accident. Indeed - he gave Lewis a good run for his money at a demonstration event on the old Monza circuit a couple of years ago (they weren't supposed to be racing, but....).

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Not quite understanding some of the comments about Jackie Stewart on here.  (I'm wondering whether my irony meter might be broken.)

I'll just leave this for people to reflect on: http://en.espn.co.uk/f1/motorsport/story/56647.html

That tough matey not everyone has the same idea on certain people best you learn to live with it.

A crash at Monza in 1995. He had qualified in pole, too.

IIRC several drivers had an 'off' on the formation lap of the 1978 International Trophy (when we still had non championship F1 races), although it was exceptionally wet (I was there) but I think they all recovered to take the start.  It was so wet Lauda and Arnoux didn't start and Peterson gave it one lap before calling it a day, just to tell you how wet it was the race was won by Keke Rosberg (only his second F1 race) in a Theodore with Emerson Fittipaldi second in a Copersucar, Tony Trimmer and Brett Lunger were 3rd and 4th both in private McLarens.

Didn't cause me any offence, just puzzlement.  To me they sounded more like sour grapes, or perhaps just Ferrari's somewhat legendary peevishness, than a "smack down" (which is a pretty horrible phrase anyway IMO).

I have in front of me just now a book by Enzo Ferrari (I suspect fairly heavily ghost written) published in Italy in 1995 and called piloti, che gente... (roughly: "Drivers, what guys...")  The book says this about Jackie Stewart: "Stewart è stato un genuine campione.  Un uomo che non concedeva molto agli avversari.  Sapeva quello che voleva e lo sa tuttora.  A parte le qualità eccezionali del whisky che offre agli amici, direi proprio che è un ragioniere e nei suoi conti ha sempre amministrato scrupulosamente anche il rischio.  Lo ammiro, anche se disdegnava le macchine con le ruote coperte...  È entrato con autorità nella rosa dei migliori di tutti i tempi, e non soltanto per i tre mondiali che ha riportato.  Lo ricordo al volante di una Ferrari, in coppia con Amon, in una 1000 Chilometri di Brands Hatch che fu decivisa per iltitolo mondiale del campionato Marche del 1967."

Stewart was a real champion. A man who did not concede much to his opponents. He knew what he wanted and still knows. Aside from the exceptional qualities of the whisky offered to friends, I would say that he is an analytical man and in his analyses he has always scrupulously accounted for risk as well. I admire him, even though he didn't think much of sport cars... He arrived on the scene with authority in the best of all times, and not just for the three world championships he won.  I remember him at the wheel of a Ferrari, in partnership with Amon, in a 1,000 Kilometers of Brands Hatch which clinched the World Sportscar Championship for Ferrari in 1967.

Across pages 398 and 399 is a photo of Stewart in the 330 P4 he drove with Chris Amon in that 1967 BOAC 500 at Brands Hatch.

Of course, it was later in that year that Stewart declined Ferrari's offer of a factory drive...

There you go then, by reading that, then it's obvious that Ferrari made the Comment I referred to originally with a touch of Irony.

So what's the issue ?

If it's the Smack Down Phrase - It was said tongue in cheek (Hence the bit about "the Young Folk").

Was it because I wrote 1969 instead of 1967 ?

Was it the bit about Scottish Pride ? Di Resta and Stewart are both Scots are they not ?

I have already acknowledged Stewart's accomplishments, especially in the field of safety. So I'm quite at a loss as to your puzzlement.

Edit -

Is that You Jackie ?

Shouldn't you be off writing another book or filming a DVD  to sell to the public, but sadly turns out to be one big advertisement for your lifelong backers at Rolex or Moet ?

(Last bit written with only a very small touch of irony, after having been daft enough to splash out on one of his books and DVD's a few years ago. There is less blatant promotion to be seen on commercial TV).

There-  Now I've said something that might (at a stretch) be considered to be slagging off Jackie Stewart.

Also if there are any other personal Icons that you would like nothing but praise heaped upon them, would you please be kind enough to prepare a list and post it here, so nobody makes the mistake of making any comments which you deem to be negative or contradictory to your opinions. That would be very helpful. Thank you :)

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 1

What's he done wrong? His car isn't painted red, for starters.

On the other hand, I see McLaren have picked up the F3 champion for their apprenticeship, whilst Ferrari have only the 4th placed chap, albeit with an evocatively sounding name - Ilmor. Both Brits, astonishingly. Perhaps it is because they can pay them in pounds sterling, and get away with it, and so can afford better engines?

• Like 3

Silverstone has paid a high price for not being nice to Bernie  and mocking him, and they did. .The BRDC was/is  a really snotty bunch for most part.For every real racer there are 20 or more ..............insert your own words .

• Like 1

Max signed until the end of the 2020 season with RB. When does Lewis' contract run out at Mercedes again? ;)  He also gets a 10-place grid penalty for Austin, as the team changed the motor. Daniel is scheduled for that same motor change in Mexico next weekend. Early impressions are this new engine is 'quite good' but the exact performance difference with Ferrari and Mercedes will only manifest itself in Q3 tomorrow :P

ONCE AGAIN, (and YES i'm SHOUTING) a potentially good Race may be spoilt by penalties.