RMweb

Hornby BR Mk1 Coaches (Main range and Railroad)

Pint of Adnams

• RMweb Gold

Hornby now has one over Bachmann now by producing the BSO, which has not been modelled in RTR OO Gauge before.

Though to be fair to Bachmann they have had the BSK and BCK since at least 2005, whereas Hornby only have the BSK until the BSO comes along

Waiting for BSO. Re Bachmann Mk1s derailing, have had same problem with several. I used kaydee "grease'm" which is a graphite powder they sell for lubricating their couplings. Puffed it over the close coupling mechanism, made sure the bogie pivot screws wernt too tight and that seems to have done the trick.

All the Hornby coaches I've got run well.

• RMweb Premium

Did you read the comments in this thread since your last post? They have answered your points around the close coupler mechanism and the weight.

Yes I've read them. I have previously tried slackening the screws and haven't noticed too much difference, if any at all, the Bachmann coaches still being more prone to derail than Hornby ones. Also tried to free up the swivel in the couplings. As far as removing the weights I did try to disassemble one once but stopped for fear of damaging it. I note the observations above that this is not to be undertaken lightly , so suspect they found similarly that it's not as easy as it seems. If anyone has instructions how to do it, I'll give it another go , maybe on an SO that is now spare.

• RMweb Premium

Yes I've read them. I have previously tried slackening the screws and haven't noticed too much difference, if any at all, the Bachmann coaches still being more prone to derail than Hornby ones. Also tried to free up the swivel in the couplings. As far as removing the weights I did try to disassemble one once but stopped for fear of damaging it. I note the observations above that this is not to be undertaken lightly , so suspect they found similarly that it's not as easy as it seems. If anyone has instructions how to do it, I'll give it another go , maybe on an SO that is now spare.

I found that the raised mounting on the bottom of the chassis for the Bogie was a little bit off level on some of mine. Bit of filing to make them level and it helped but still have issues.

Edited by Hilux5972

• RMweb Gold

And the FO, for that matter!

FO previously produced by Replica though.

And what is limit of load with Bachmann heavyweight coaches? Load 13 makes a Peak struggle...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06TPwf8px1k&t=3s 13 mins in. That is getting on for 450 tons however - that train was booked to take the bankers at Bromsgrove IIRC

Phil

• Like 4

I found the problem with Bachmann mk1s was the hook for the spring of the close coupling mechanism fouling the bogie stopping the inner end lifting and thus the outer end from pitching down. Removing the bogies (you will see a polished mark on the bogies top if this has been happening) and thinning the horizontal part of the hook solves the problem.

Edited by JeremyC

• RMweb Gold

Reading all this makes me glad I bought my one and only mk1, a maroon liveried BG, in a red box.  I am very happy with it, but aware that the blue box version is better detailed; not sure that the extra detail is worth the extra cash as the Hornby Railroad one has nothing wrong with it that I cannot rectify when I get around to it.

Though I plan to get some Blue grey Hornby ones, I have currently just one from the recent Hornby tooled batch (a green Brake). The separate details on Bachmann is no comparison and does stand out when the train is static.

For me, I do find it odd paying £35 for each of the upcoming Blue/Greys when I paid (and the price labels are on the boxes), £18 each for the Bachmann ones!

Yes I know things gone upwards since, just the odd sensation it creates.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

All this talk about coaches has got the Hornby fairies working,

The first of the 2017 new releases has just arrived, BR -exLMS Stanier coaches, my new rake of 7 unexpectedly came via courier just now.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

From my point of view, I think the glazing on the Hornby coaches is better with less prismatic effect around the edges than on the Bachmann ones; in fact I think this is an area which Hornby often do well (e.g. the Thompson and LMS non gangwayed stock)

Really? I find the glazing on the Hornby LMS non gangwayed stock pretty visually bad! Mind you it is excellent in comparison with the Hornby LMS gangwayed stock, while the Bachmann Portholes look good.

Still, it'd be boring if we were all the same, & saw the same things :-)

• Like 1

Disclaimer: I'm not as experienced as many here since I only got back into the hobby about 4 years ago.

I have several rakes of Bachmann Mk1s, amounting to about a couple of dozen coaches all told. I personally prefer the detailing especially like the end-boards provided with the brakes, and use the close-coupling as I run them only in rakes.

I've seen a few issues mostly as stated above with some of the close coupling springs fouling the bogies. Fettling/and or backing off the bogie screw has solved them all.

I use KADEEs at the ends of the rakes on replacement 36-005 bogies, removing the original bogie and close coupling mechanism and use a 36-005A replacement bogie modified by slicing off the hook/loop coupling from the plate on the bogie. Then supergluing a NEM pocket (part# 36-030) and using a KADEE #20 in the pocket.

Parts aren't that expensive as I'm only replacing the bogies at either end of a rake.

post-20244-0-24173200-1485534650_thumb.jpg

post-20244-0-51161700-1485534651_thumb.jpg

Rakes set up this way navigate all my pointwork (some rather complicated) both forward and being reversed by a "station pilot loco" without derailing. Minimum radius on the layout overall about 32", the station throat has a 26.5" curve...

• RMweb Gold

FO previously produced by Replica though.

And what is limit of load with Bachmann heavyweight coaches? Load 13 makes a Peak struggle...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06TPwf8px1k&t=3s 13 mins in. That is getting on for 450 tons however - that train was booked to take the bankers at Bromsgrove IIRC

Phil

I like the pigeon sound effects 14mins in.

All this talk about coaches has got the Hornby fairies working,

The first of the 2017 new releases has just arrived, BR -exLMS Stanier coaches, my new rake of 7 unexpectedly came via courier just now.

At risk of going off topic, what is the finish on these like? Is it a nice gloss?  Pix would be good! Hopefully better then the dull finish on the very first release.

cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• 1 month later...

To improve running of Bacchy Mark 1s in addition to above tips:

Check the back to back measurements

And for those running on Commonwealth bogies check the top of the damper moulded on to the side of the bogie isn't fouling on the underframe - if so just trim it back a bit.

And with the addition of the Hornby close couplings they close right up on straight track. Will be interesting to see how that works with the Hornby FO/BSO without a close coupling device

Phil

Phil,

not sure if this is the place to raise my issue but as it is related to GWR Mk1 bogies here goes :)

I have a rake of 3 x circa 2000 Era Mk1 Coaches (ex R2077) with the old style Hornby "D" couplings and plastic wheels. While they run OK I'd like to match with all rest of my NEM couplings. I see that my more modern Hornby Mk1 BG full brake (R4642) has the desired Bogie wheels / couplings. Can you or others here tell me where I can get replacement Bogies from please? Not sure where to start looking,

Interestingly I've found no issues running Bachmann Mk1s that weigh in at 168g or just 10g shy of the NRMA recommendation. My only problem has been with R4642 (see above) which at 123g was always derailing when combined with other heavier coaches. Addition of 30g fixed that and all my coaches are now in the range 153 - 168g. As with Wagons / vans it seems having no unduly light members in any load is the key factor to prevent derailing (IMO)

Edited by BWsTrains

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have been steadily building up my Hornby Mk1's for a while now, especially when I find them cheaply. I have been picking up the Railroad spec maroon ones recently for as little as a tenner each and then applying a few transfers and replacing the wheels.

I have two rakes of green ones, both three car classic Southern Region BSK-CK-BSK sets but have discovered that the set fitted with lighting keeps dragging almost as if the brakes are partly on or that they run a little lower and keep grounding.

Any ideas please? Where there design differences between the lighted and standard versions?

• RMweb Gold

I am the proud owner of a total of one of these coaches, a railroad maroon BG, with which I am very happy; the level of detail is good enough for my purposes and the finish and lettering is first class.  It is slightly weathered and looks pretty good, and runs well.  It is prone to grounding, though, and has in that way been very useful in assisting me to find places on the layout where the track is not as level as it should be, and correct matters...

Another occasional issue is the coupling hook not dropping back on to the bar after uncoupling, and fouling on the gangway connections on curves, derailing the coach.  Not the end of the world and I can easily replace the couplings!

• RMweb Gold

I have been steadily building up my Hornby Mk1's for a while now, especially when I find them cheaply. I have been picking up the Railroad spec maroon ones recently for as little as a tenner each and then applying a few transfers and replacing the wheels.

I have two rakes of green ones, both three car classic Southern Region BSK-CK-BSK sets but have discovered that the set fitted with lighting keeps dragging almost as if the brakes are partly on or that they run a little lower and keep grounding.

Any ideas please? Where there design differences between the lighted and standard versions?

The std Mk1 bogie has a small round plastic plate underneath, push fit (but quite tight)onto 4 pins protruding from under the bogie. Between the plate and the bogie sits the copper pickups. These run to the wheels, and have a wire soldered that runs with the bogie pin into the coach. Only 1 end of the Mk1 has the light unit fitting, only needs 1 end as the light unit has a capacitor and a bridge rectifier, so it holds the lights on for a few seconds and works bidirectionallly.

If the wheels are sticking it’s probably a pickup catching or snagging the wheel.

The exact same light fitting unit, plates, wires etc is used in the mk2 and mk3, however the new mk1’s with commonwealth bogies do not feature this, so unless some new light unit is being used it looks unlikely Hornby are planning Mk1 with commonwealths and lights.

The Railroad mk1’s don’t have the pickups, wiring or plates, but the bogie is the same.

As I have gaps in new Hornby mk1’s with lights, to maintain continuity in lighting, I have been buying Hornby mk2e BSOs from hattons, £19, removing the light unit and fitting these to my mk1’s as the unit, plates etc are the same, I plan to move the mk2 bso’s on, it’s worth noting mk1’s with lights fetch £35+ on ebay, so even if you binned the mk2 bso after taking out the lights and wheels, your doubling the value of a Railroad Mk1, which can be had for £16 new.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

.....Another occasional issue is the coupling hook not dropping back on to the bar after uncoupling, and fouling on the gangway connections on curves, derailing the coach. Not the end of the world and I can easily replace the couplings!

Yes I had this problem too. The tension lock coupling gets hung up on the moulded coupling hook on the coach ends when in the raised position. So if you’re not bothered about the hook, simply removing it solves the problem. Alternatively, within the rake you can swop in the Hornby (Roco style) close coupling within yourfixed rake of coaches. These couplings don’t raise, so avoid the problem.

With railroad coaches, swopping over the wheels to a metal set makes a big difference to the running. These seem to be readily available, but bizarrely come in packs of ten.

Edit: correcting the damned auto spell.

Edited by Chamby

• RMweb Premium

Ah!  Another like me who has noticed and been bemused by the fact that Hornby's relacement coach wheel sets (R8218 for those wondering) come in tens and not some multiple of four...  If buying the R8218, shop around, prices seem to vary wildly from a shade under a tenner to one example on Ebay that was about thirty five quid!!!