All change - North Wales.

The North Wales Chester-Holyhead line is currently undergoing several changes and will see the closure of several signal boxes including Mostyn and Abergele. On Sunday 8th January the Down Fast line through Abergele & Pensarn Station was removed and the sub-structure completely removed. This is a preliminary to removal of the Down platform loop. Once the Down Fast is in action, the Down platform will be built out to serve this track. Replacement bus services were in place....

Goodbye semaphore signal to the Down platform loop at Abergele....

post-6680-0-79586700-1483973801.jpg

General view of the station with the Down Fast track already removed and being dug out. I wonder if the between tracks 'forest' will be eliminated...

post-6680-0-36345600-1483973803.jpg

Viewed in the opposite direction towards Colwyn Bay. The platform starting signal has already been removed. Caravans and plant stand on land once occupied with cattle docks until 1965...

post-6680-0-00166400-1483973805.jpg

66109 draws into the platform with stone that could the base for the new track....

post-6680-0-49358300-1483973807.jpg

A closer view of the digger at work removing the sub-base. Interestingly, the furthermost bridge over the track is the original and station buildings stood on land today occupied by the down lines....

post-6680-0-97369400-1483973808_thumb.jpg

66112 waiting to leave with the removed ballast. From 1902 until 1965 there were four tracks here. The outer tracks were used for carriage storage almost as far as Llandulas during the winter months....

post-6680-0-56631500-1483973810.jpg

Thanks for that Larry interesting developments although not to my liking I have to admit. think I'd better get out and get some pictures of the remain semiphore's before their gone !!!!!

Just as a matter of interest have Story Rail been working down there this weekend as well as  I noticed a couple of their Scania low loaders heading that way on Sunday afternoon ???

Thanks for that Larry interesting developments although not to my liking I have to admit. think I'd better get out and get some pictures of the remain semiphore's before their gone !!!!!

Just as a matter of interest have Story Rail been working down there this weekend as well as  I noticed a couple of their Scania low loaders heading that way on Sunday afternoon ???

The honest answer is I dunno. I dropped out of the reporting game some years ago and have sooo quickly lost touch with today's scene.

Watch out for Mostyn abolition soon too.

Yes I had heard about that. Also a 'dynamic' loop to be installed for two-way running at Holywell?  

• RMweb Gold
Yes I had heard about that. Also a 'dynamic' loop to be installed for two-way running at Holywell?  

I'd heard Mostyn with a connection off the loop into the docks - but Mostyn is a listed (and listing) building so time will tell.

Interesting. Will the loop be massively extended beyond its present end just beyond the remains of the old Holywell branch bridge?

The loop as proposed will be 856 meters in length from each protecting signal.

I believe all points at Holywell will be taken up, hence no loops there. The points at Rockcliffe Hall moving to Flint.

• RMweb Premium

Sad to see all the old infrastructure going, but that is progress I suppose.

I have to say when I saw the title of the thread and that it was started by Coachmann, I had fears that his O gauge was out the window, and he had gone 2mm FS!

Best Regards

Ian

• RMweb Gold

This is the Mostyn proposed track plan.

Interestingly both main lines are signalled for each way running - although down direction running along the up main to Rhyl is implied by the signalling and not 100% certain from that diagram. Pesumably the bi-di will be used for degraded working if something fails or a possession blocks one of the main lines - when it's fully installed, Talacre and Holywell would need extra signalling to permit this, and I guess that will only happen with complete resignalling in the future.

• RMweb Gold

Interestingly both main lines are signalled for each way running - although down direction running along the up main to Rhyl is implied by the signalling and not 100% certain from that diagram. Pesumably the bi-di will be used for degraded working if something fails or a possession blocks one of the main lines - when it's fully installed, Talacre and Holywell would need extra signalling to permit this, and I guess that will only happen with complete resignalling in the future.

Is it going to be full bi-directional signalling or simply reversible signalling for contingency reasons?

Yes, bus from Rhyl to Colwyn Bay for about 3 weeks. Up platform open as usual this morning.

(p s No bullhead in Rhuddlan yet Larry)

Thanks Merfyn. Regarding bullhead Peco in Rhuddlan, I didn't expect it to be stocked as they never stocked Code 75 anyway. It seems their customers buy only Code 100.

If I recall correctly this line is open 24/7 but with various sections planned for overnight single line working during the timetable year to provide engineering access.  So bi-di signalling to facilitate this makes sense, but I doubt it will allow more than one "wrong direction" train between each set of crossovers. 

• 2 weeks later...

Work has been proceeding apace with extending the down platform outwards towards the previous fast line. Presumably the gap between old and new platforms will be bridged once the old edging slabs have been removed. This job must be costing a bob or two; the lineside-observers question being, why wasn't the fast line slewed into the old platform...

post-6680-0-82210100-1485713572_thumb.jpg

post-6680-0-81985900-1485713574.jpg

Archived