RMweb

Model Rail/Rapido Trains GER/LNER 'J70' 0-6-0T 'Project Toby'

dibber25

Thank you for the clarification on the decoder socket. I will be fitting sound to mine. I plan to use a small LNER/ex-NE tank engine sound such as the J15. (I can't see any sound projects from the region of locos with cylinders as small as the J70, so that will do for me) Unless someone has an alternative idea.

Thank you for the clarification on the decoder socket. I will be fitting sound to mine. I plan to use a small LNER/ex-NE tank engine sound such as the J15. (I can't see any sound projects from the region of locos with cylinders as small as the J70, so that will do for me) Unless someone has an alternative idea.

There is what I assume to be a 'sugar-cube' speaker fitted above the worm, inside the firebox area. (CJL)

• Like 1

There is what I assume to be a 'sugar-cube' speaker fitted above the worm, inside the firebox area. (CJL)

Thank you, that is great news. More clever engineering design and added value in making sound installation easier has to be applauded.

Go as small as you can for a match. A 'Terrier' is heading in the right direction, what with a long chimney, but still has much greater cylinder and smokebox volume and it is these three that are the 'blower' and 'organ pipe' that foremost determine the sound quality of the exhaust. There must be something smaller yet running? I would suggest looking among small industrials.

The words to accompany the picture of Model Rail's 'J70' are on my latest blog:

https://www.model-rail.co.uk/…/20…/10/11/j70-is-almost-here…

I've been out driving and walking the course of the tramway over the last couple of days. Sadly, both the buildings I was particularly looking for have been demolished but here's a view that anyone familiar with the various books on the tramway should recognise. Amazing to think these bungalows were built with the tramway right across their front gates. I'm not sure how a modern day estate agent would 'spin' that in order to sell the property! (CJL)

post-1062-0-80055300-1539286369_thumb.jpg

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 3

Another fantastic photo from Model Rail of the J70 68222 with both Wisbeach and Upwell Tramway coaches, it's a real shame that this kits are discontinued...

attachicon.gif

.... the line carved through the foothills of the Wisbech mountains? 

At the moment I don't have anywhere more appropriate to pose it. This one is worse! (CJL)

Ah, the original Newcommon Bridge, on the outskirts of Wisbech? What happenned to the brake car though.....?

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram

They must be close now! How close, if you don’t mind me asking, Chris?

There is still a lot to do. Ten livery samples had to be checked and various tweaks were required. These take time to get sorted and there were also some assembly issues - as noted by posters on here, some of the bodies were assembled the wrong way round.  The instruction booklet is not yet produced as some of the detail parts only arrived last week. We are asking everyone to be patient - we want these models to be right first time. (CJL)

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

The top two in that set of photos are the ones I've ordered - early BR with full skirts and early BR with partial skirts. The second photo is also the one that's previously been referred to as having the body on back to front in the pre-production sample :)

On a separate note, I'm planning to chip them as, being essentially a standalone project that doesn't fit in with what I'm building elsewhere, I think this will be a good (and relatively inexpensive) first foray into DCC. Does anyone know, yet, what would be a suitable decoder for them? I'm not particularly interested in sound, it's just the ability to have them both running on the same shunting plank without needing isolating sections that I'm after.

• Like 2

Does anyone know, yet, what would be a suitable decoder for them?

Certainly not Next18 ones!

Originally the locos were going to accept Next18 decoders but it's subtlety changed to a 6 pin decoder in the past couple of months (my Model Rail from a few months ago says Next18 socket, but the most recent one now says 6-pin). Why state a particular type of decoder when it could have changed (and then don't particularly announce it!) I don't know but just hope Hattons will accept the Next18 back after purchasing it nearly a year ago. Maybe I missed the note it had changed, but I can't find anything relating to it.

I've now decided a Zimo 6-pin decoder (about £25) will be what's in mine but won't be purchasing [the chip] until the loco ships.

Edited by Sir TophamHatt

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst we await the arrival of the J70s can anyone please help me with the official passenger operations on W&U in BR days?   From all the W&U books and Six Bells Junction I find the following railtours and rolling stock used.   The first was steam hauled and the remainder diesel.

7.6.1950     Cambridge University Railway Club (CURC) had 2 brake vans attached to a scheduled freight hauled by a J70.   One van was an ex-GER 20t. of diagram LA.54.   The other appears to be of an ex-GCR six wheeler.   The loco number is unknown.

4.6.1952     CURC again with 2 brake vans attached to a scheduled freight hauled by 11102.   One van appears to be a Toad B or E but the other is similar but with a right hand positioned ducket!

9.7.1955     The Railway Club's "W&U Special" was a special working of 3 brake vans hauled by 11101.   The train in order of coupling was M731002 (LMS diag.1036), B952454 (BR diag.1/506) and E260925 (LNER diag.158).

9.9.1956     Railway Correspondence and Touring Society (RCTS) "The Fensman" was a special working of 2 brake vans topping and tailing some 15 open wagons (of various types) hauled by 11102.   The brake vans appear to be of the LNER 158 and/or BR 1/506 diagrams.

There are photos of the CURS and RCTS tours on <www.kingslynn-forums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1103&start=15>.

Firstly,have I covered all the W&U railtours?   All the hauled stock mentioned appear to be fitted - am I correct?   Which J70 was used on the first CURC tour together with any more detail and fleet numbers of the brake vans?   On the second trip, what brake van would have looked like a Toad B or E but have a right hand ducket, and what were the fleet numbers of these two?   Regarding the RCTS tour, what were the fleet numbers of the brake vans and if by any good fortune anyone had taken the numbers of the wagons as well then it would be fantastic bonus?   I do believe in miracles!!!

• Like 1

At the moment I don't have anywhere more appropriate to pose it. This one is worse! (CJL)

Chris, thanks for posting this view.   I assume the coaches are painted in BR crimson to suit the livery of the loco.   I note that both carriages have been numbered.   Whilst the bogie coaches survived to receive BR numbers what number did you give the four wheeler, please?   Kind regards, Colin Withey.

• RMweb Premium

Whilst we await the arrival of the J70s can anyone please help me with the official passenger operations on W&U in BR days?   From all the W&U books and Six Bells Junction I find the following railtours and rolling stock used.   The first was steam hauled and the remainder diesel.

7.6.1950     Cambridge University Railway Club (CURC) had 2 brake vans attached to a scheduled freight hauled by a J70.   One van was an ex-GER 20t. of diagram LA.54.   The other appears to be of an ex-GCR six wheeler.   The loco number is unknown.

4.6.1952     CURC again with 2 brake vans attached to a scheduled freight hauled by 11102.   One van appears to be a Toad B or E but the other is similar but with a right hand positioned ducket!

9.7.1955     The Railway Club's "W&U Special" was a special working of 3 brake vans hauled by 11101.   The train in order of coupling was M731002 (LMS diag.1036), B952454 (BR diag.1/506) and E260925 (LNER diag.158).

9.9.1956     Railway Correspondence and Touring Society (RCTS) "The Fensman" was a special working of 2 brake vans topping and tailing some 15 open wagons (of various types) hauled by 11102.   The brake vans appear to be of the LNER 158 and/or BR 1/506 diagrams.

There are photos of the CURS and RCTS tours on <www.kingslynn-forums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1103&start=15>.

Firstly,have I covered all the W&U railtours?   All the hauled stock mentioned appear to be fitted - am I correct?   Which J70 was used on the first CURC tour together with any more detail and fleet numbers of the brake vans?   On the second trip, what brake van would have looked like a Toad B or E but have a right hand ducket, and what were the fleet numbers of these two?   Regarding the RCTS tour, what were the fleet numbers of the brake vans and if by any good fortune anyone had taken the numbers of the wagons as well then it would be fantastic bonus?   I do believe in miracles!!!

My late father seems to have been on the 1950 CURC tour that you mention, as he was at Cambridge University in the early 1950s and took pictures of the tram engine and the GC 6-wheeled brake at Upwell.  His picture shows the van to have been 531725; it looks pretty shabby as did a lot of wagons at that time, and has no 'E' prefix to the number but neither does it carry 'NE' company initials.  Thank you for this information, as I can now put a date to his pictures!

My late father seems to have been on the 1950 CURC tour that you mention, as he was at Cambridge University in the early 1950s and took pictures of the tram engine and the GC 6-wheeled brake at Upwell.  His picture shows the van to have been 531725; it looks pretty shabby as did a lot of wagons at that time, and has no 'E' prefix to the number but neither does it carry 'NE' company initials.  Thank you for this information, as I can now put a date to his pictures!

Steve, just the sort of response I have been dreaming of!!!   Please confirm your father's name as I have identified two other members who took photos on those trips.   The CURC have just responded to my request to investigate their records for that time but it would not be until the Christmas vacation that there could be someone to delve for us.   In respect of his photo are you able to distinguish which loco please?   So the brake van was definitely a six-wheeler in the photo.   Now I have a number for it I see whether it was ex-GCR or ex-CLC as both companies use the same style.   I am pleased that you now have the actual date for these.   I wonder if your father went on their 1952 tour, please?   Kind regards, Colin.    

• RMweb Premium

Good morning Colin,

Glad to have been of help!

My father's name was J.F.S. Pearce.  I'm not sure of the exact dates he was at Cambridge but it must have been around the time you mention, as I also have various other black & white prints of trains in the Cambridge area from that period.  I'm not sure whether he was still there in 1952, but could probably find out.  I have a copy of the brake van picture to hand as I had an extra one made when I built a model of such a van a few years ago, but would have to hunt for the one of the tram engine!  And at the moment don't have my own scanner.

Steve