Model Rail/Rapido Trains GER/LNER 'J70' 0-6-0T 'Project Toby'

dibber25

One also was used on Mid Suffolk line, inLNER days

I think you'll find that the Mid Suffolk Light had it's own design of brake van. However an ex-GC one was transferred to the Framlingham branch.

A quick look at the photograph suggests the middle vehicle is of GE origin.

I've just received an e-mail from Kernow advising that Model Rail has informed them that MR-203 will not be weathered due to unforeseen circumstances...

I was surprised to receive this for two reasons: (1) that I cannot recall if the original advertising material stated that it was to be weathered and (2) because the original photograph used for MR-203 showed it with cowcatchers but no sideplates but the model turns out not to have either, so at the end of January I changed my order to MR-201.

I've now had to ask Kernow to confirm that my order was indeed changed for, despite the confirmation e-mail I was sent, someone still thinks I'm still expecting an MR-203.

Edited by Pint of Adnams

I think you'll find that the Mid Suffolk Light had it's own design of brake van. However an ex-GC one was transferred to the Framlingham branch.

A quick look at the photograph suggests the middle vehicle is of GE origin.

In LNER days they used different brakevans, normally standard ones but there is a photo in Peter Paye's book showng the ex GCR one on the Mid Suffolk line. Difficult to find in bookbut it is there. I would like to se that photo  though.

Yes, Simon, it looks just like it!!!   Thanks for drawing our attention to it.   The ex-CLC version also looks similar.   Colin.

What interests me as well is that I have been working through stock for MSR and keep coming across stock which has a connection with something else I am working on. ex GER stock is more complicated, and not helped by a lack of published drawings. Even then you have to be careful as GER stop evolved and different panel designs found on same coach diagrams.A good source is those produced by members of the Colonel Stephens Society.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

Reading Steve Banks's blog on modelling his ex-GCR six-wheeled brake van, he comments that if he was to make a further one it would have the three vertical lines of bolt heads on each of the van's sides.  Certainly in the views of this type of van on the W&U these bolt heads are clearly visible.

In LNER days they used different brakevans, normally standard ones but there is a photo in Peter Paye's book showng the ex GCR one on the Mid Suffolk line. Difficult to find in bookbut it is there. I would like to se that photo  though.

I have just gone through the Peter Paye/Wild Swan book and cannot find it. There are illustrations of the two different Mid Suffolk brake vans and, with the exception of one LMS type, all appear to be LNER Toad B or E. I've also looked through the Nicholas Comfort/Oakwood Press book and cannot see any ex-GC type in that either.

post-22373-0-74343300-1542722284.jpgIt looks as though Steve and I have found the numbers of the loco used and the special brake van provided for the CURC's 1950 tour.   Because fare paying passengers were being conveyed a fully fitted brake van had to be provided for them in lieu of a passenger coach.   So ex-GCR six wheel van 531725 was drafted in from somewhere else for that occasion.   A photo of sister brake 531727 shows that was fitted.   The guard thus travelled in the line's ex-GER van.   The loco was 68217 and was lettered BRITISH RAILWAYS, skirted and with cowcatchers.   So if the sales of Model Rail's J70 go to plan then here is one for the next round.

Based on the 1950 tour train consist, BR repeated it for the CURC in 1952.   We know the loco was 11102 and that the guard travelled in either an ex-LNER Toad D or a BR standard brake van brake van with a central ducket.   Again a separate fitted brake van was drafted in for the passengers.   I attach a view showing a right handed positioned ducket on the CURC's van on the left of the two.   Certainly not an ex-SR Pill-box van but could it be one of the WD road vans purchased by LNER in 1924 and converted into a brake van that survived into BR days?   Can anyone please confirm this and provide the number series?   Regards, Colin.

Further to my above post, I am coming to the conclusion that 1952 CURC brake van was an ex-MET one taken over by LNER in 1937 from LPTB.   The handrail is continuous along the side indicating that there was no van section.   If this vehicle had been one of the WD road vans, then maybe the MET removed the doors as they had no need for the van section.   All comments very welcome, please.   Colin.

• Like 1

I have just gone through the Peter Paye/Wild Swan book and cannot find it. There are illustrations of the two different Mid Suffolk brake vans and, with the exception of one LMS type, all appear to be LNER Toad B or E. I've also looked through the Nicholas Comfort/Oakwood Press book and cannot see any ex-GC type in that either.

It is difficult to find, but it is a full page photo on page 54.

It is difficult to find, but it is a full page photo on page 54.

Apologies - you are correct and it even mentions it in the caption. One of the visual cues I was looking for was the height, the GC brake van has a comparatively and obviously lower roof line than its contemporaries but, adjacent to a carriage design from the 1800s, that difference is less obvious.

Is it one of these with different duckets and handrails?

london%20transport%20hurst%20nelson%20br

London Transport Hurst Nelson Brake van kit.

http://www.rtmodels.co.uk/rt_models_034.htm

Jason

Jason, thank you very much for drawing attention to this kit.   I had responded yesterday PM and the post went through but alas it seems to be missing this AM.   Yes, you are quite right.   The ducket needs to be the size of that for the LNER Toads and the handrail along the van section and beneath it.   So can anyone please find a photo and fleet numbers of these ex-ROD, ex-MET (when altered), ex-LPTB brake vans in LNER/BR condition from 1937?   So far we have drawn a blank from the internet and the books we have - admitting we do not have all the latest books.   Kind regards, Colin.

My late father seems to have been on the 1950 CURC tour that you mention, as he was at Cambridge University in the early 1950s and took pictures of the tram engine and the GC 6-wheeled brake at Upwell.  His picture shows the van to have been 531725; it looks pretty shabby as did a lot of wagons at that time, and has no 'E' prefix to the number but neither does it carry 'NE' company initials.  Thank you for this information, as I can now put a date to his pictures!

From the further work that Steve has done leading Chris and I to look far more deeply into available photos of the engine in use on the 7.6.1950 rail tour, I believe the engine to be NE 8222 with body work needing a great deal of attention.   Whilst grime covers the number, the 'No.' and '822' can be seen but it is the 'NE' that comes through to show that it was still in its LNER condition and awaiting a repaint to get its BR number.   With the right hand (from the front at the chimney end) glazed window frame missing it was in sore need of attention.   A tell tale point is the small oval makers plate on a plank higher than that on others.   On the 1952 tour a photo was taken of 11102 with 68222 at Upwell.   The engine had clearly been attended to as the skirting was now removed from around the four end steps as shown in that superb view taken by Awdry of it in emaculate condition where one can see the position where that makers plate is or was, on the higher plank and the window frames had been attended to!   So in June, 1950 the engine was 8222 and in June, 1952 it was 68222.   

Will alternative cowcatchers be available without the 'orrible coupler apertures?

Pleased to see the overscale side chains have disappeared.

What is the gear ratio?

The models on show at Warley were the livery samples. They have none of the separate details fitted. The models include cowcatchers with and without the tension-lock coupler cut-out (this has been stated previously in this thread). The skirted versions will have the side chains - these are expected to be factory-fitted. Sorry - I don't know what the gear ratio is. It was changed after tests showed the first EP ran too fast. (CJL)

• Like 2