Perth Model Railway Show 24 and 25 June 2017

Waverley47708

Our next layout is Alloa by the Scottish Study Group. It is an exquisitely executed prototypical recreation of Alloa in Clackmannanshire in the mi sixties. You can see this at the show on 24/25th June at the Dewars Centre in Perth.

post-4700-0-19639700-1497088519.jpg

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Like 1

Our next featured layout is "Ballyconnell Road" which is a 3mm scale layout which is based in Ireland on the Great Northern Railway. This layout was built by Stephen Moor, Mick Rawlings and Andrew Shillito and it features many models which have been scratch and kit built. The layout will be available at the show on 24 and 25th June at the Dewars Centre Perth.

post-4700-0-45458800-1497259634.jpg

Edited by Waverley47708

Can someone provide information on where to park on the Saturday ?   I'm not familiar with the area, but may be able to visit the show by car.    Thanks. 

Nigel

Nigel.

Glad to hear you are coming, I am sure you will enjoy the show.

There is free parking at the Dewars Centre in a car park shared between the Dewars Centre and the adjacent swimming pool.  In addition to the car park you see on arrival there is additional car parking under the Dewars Centre, enter the car park, go past the entrance and you are faced with a small Y shape junction, left takes you to the underground area, right to the rest of the open car park area.  I think most are (or were anyway) unaware of the underground bit and is worth a try.

What I would say is that on the Saturday in particular this car park fills up pretty quickly with people attending the exhibition, those going to the pool and some cheeky people who use it as a free car park to go shopping in town (naughty naughty).

So alternatives, the Park and Ride from Broxden, parking at the Park and Ride is free and located at the interchange between the M90 and A9 the main routes into Perth.  You can then get on a bus which takes you past the Dewars Centre.  If you look at one of my earlier posts I think there is a link to the Park and Ride site.

There may be limited on street parking around the venue including at Whitefriars Industrial Estate which is nearby. 

There are various car park associated with retail outlets nearby, including Aldi, Lidl, Morrisons, Wicks etc, but these are for customers only and are time limited with the usual parking penalties etc.

There is reasonably priced parking at Thimble Row PH1 5HQ.  A short walk but easily doable.

Coming by train is an option the station is 5 mins from the venue. There are two station car parks, one accessed of Glasgow Road and the other outside the main station entrance Leonard Street, there is a daily charge but I am not sure if these are for customers only or not.

Guest eddie reffin

Coming by train is an option the station is 5 mins from the venue. There are two station car parks, one accessed of Glasgow Road and the other outside the main station entrance Leonard Street, there is a daily charge but I am not sure if these are for customers only or not.

The station car park nearest the venue is £3.00 per day. Only thing is that it does tend to be quite busy as it doubles as the staff car park. 

We are also proud to announce "Whiteacres" by the Stafford Railway Circle to our exhibition this year. The layout is a modern image OO gauge layout which is set in Derbyshire area representing a (fictitious) former LNWR route to Birmingham. The layout features many architectural bridges all of which have been scratch built or are modified kits.

http://www.staffordrailwaycircle.org.uk/layouts/src-layouts/whiteacres/

post-4700-0-69484800-1497482255.jpg

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Like 1

The next featured layout is "Clifton and Lowther" by Eric Faragher. The layout is N gauge and it represents the West Coast main Line near Penrith in the 1950s/60s. Once again this layout will be on display at our show on 24 and 25 th June 2017 at the Dewars Centre.

post-4700-0-13905100-1497530206.jpg

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Like 2

Another preview of a layout attending the show on w next weekend. Thornbury Hill by the Thornbury Owners Group. The layout is based on London Brighton and South Coast Railway design, with the canopies copied from East Croydon and the signal boxes based on the prototypes at Eastbourne and Seaford. The goods shed is based on that at Burgess Hill and the garage comes from Haywards Heath. The majority of the stock is kit built with some detailed ready to run items.

post-4700-0-67140300-1497732428.jpg

Edited by Waverley47708

According to their site, it's been nearly 15 years since it's last outing ! wow how time flies ! the SECC may have been it's last outing, but well worth going to Perth to see it if nothing else................... 

Last time Blairatholl  was exhibited was Perth 2003.

Edited by hello

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Only a few more sleeps before the show....

Once again it appears that Scotland will be having a heat wave on the show weekend!

Don't know how Stan manages this - seems to be a constant.

Time to add spare shirts to the boxes, water bottles to the ready bag, sun screen to the pnb bag.

See you at the weekend......

Thanks

ps - the show looks like it will be even better than last year.

Hi all,

Once again it appears that Scotland will be having a heat wave on the show weekend!

Time to add spare shirts to the boxes, water bottles to the ready bag, sun screen to the pnb bag.

Thanks

Hope my weather forecast works out! Reduced temperature by the weekend with cloud and a bit of rain. Perfect for an inside activity - like coming to the show!

• Like 1

Some photos of our own offering.

Laurencekirk, a fascinating location on the West Coast Main Line (oh yes it was) North of Kinnaber Junction where Ex LMS and Ex LNER could be seen.

Representing the ex LMS loco is a Black 5 heading an empty fish train back to Aberdeen. Representing an ex LNER loco is No 9 Union of South Africa on a 3 hour express storming through the station. That would be an ex LNER loco on the ex LMS route from Glasgow Buchanan Street to Aberdeen.

Despite my preference for Glasgow to Aberdeen services to be a ScotRail livery 477 with matching stock and DBSO at the other end, even I can see the attraction of a pointy nosed kettle on a 3 hour express. Better go now the all this sun and heat is making e feel a bit funny!

post-4700-0-93579400-1497898055_thumb.jpg

post-4700-0-11522000-1497898167_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Like 1

Hi all,

Thanks

If it's going to be a heatwave I'm not coming!! I've just spent three days at the Great Central Event where the temperature in the marquee was 41 degrees and I've no desire to repeat that experience!

By sheer coincidence I am staying in Kenmore for 3 nights this weekend, so plan to come down by train to the show and SWMBO can go shopping.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Hope you enjoy the show. Plenty shops to keep your other half occupied for a good while!

Stan

It is confirmed that all being well, DJ Models will be revealing the Clayton Class 17.

Also, Dave will be giving a lecture, one each day, on what goes into producing a new model. Subjects covered will include laser scanning the real thing. This is something completely different and well worth visiting.

Update:

The first model of the new Class 17 Clayton is on its way to Perth now. You will be able to view it for the first time in the UK on Dave's stand.

• Like 1

Tune in tomorrow to Heartland FM to hear a live interview with Ian McCreadie of Blair Atholl towards Drumochter. 1030 tomorrow morning. If you are not in the area you can listen online. The competition to win family tickets is still open. See the Heartland FM website for details of how to enter the competition.

post-4700-0-43211800-1497986736_thumb.png

• Like 1

Hope that those visiting along with exhibitors and traders will find the floor plans useful. Although this is the current and hopefully final floor plan, there is always the possibility it may have to be tweaked!

For exhibitors and traders, vehicular access via the ramp is located at the bottom left corner of the Ice Rink. Hopefully this will help you get your bearings on arrival.

post-4700-0-94548300-1497999611_thumb.jpg

post-4700-0-06593300-1497999640_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Like 1

Quick reminder for those planning on spending a lot of money, that there is no cash line machine in the Dewars Centre.

The nearest one to the exhibition is at Morrisons. Located on the back wall of Morrisons on Caledonian Road rather than at the shop entrance. According to Google Maps it is a 7 min walk, 0.4 miles. It is shorter if you cut through their car park.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/56.3948239,-3.4442128/56.3965053,-3.4388823/@56.3959364,-3.4436248,17z/am=t

post-4700-0-62220900-1498120733.png

Edited by Waverley47708

Update:

The first model of the new Class 17 Clayton is on its way to Perth now. You will be able to view it for the first time in the UK on Dave's stand.

Update:

The Clayton is in Perth but under wraps until the show. Come and have a look this weekend!