Perth Model Railway Show 24 and 25 June 2017

Waverley47708

Wow, what a show!

I'd have to say that's one of the best shows I've been to in as long as I can remember. There really wasn't a weak layout on display and more then a handful of crackers.

If it had to pick one I would have to say that Clifton & Lowther ticked all my boxes, I've been itching to a large scale deployment of the n gauge finetrax system and this layout shows instantly why it's worth it. Not a complex track plan by any stretch but boy it looked good, with top notch n gauge stock too.

Another that floated my boat is Laurencekirk, first time I'd seen it.

Saying that there was another 10 maybe even 15 layouts that caught my real attention.

Good to see the n gauge Clayton.....

To the organisers, the chap going round handing out foldable standing platforms for the kids, you sir are a legend. My wee boy hung on to his from the moment it was given to him (chap with German accent perhaps) to the very last layout. As if the quality of layouts wasn't enough that in addition was a touch of class.

Thanks for your very kind feedback. Yes, our Albert does have a German accent. Glad the platform was useful!

Stan

Guest 40-something

Our thanks to Stan & the rest of Perth MRC for an (as always) great weekend.

Coldblow Lane performed very well for its first outing although was very bare due to being incomplete in the scenic department.

Thanks also to Albert & his good lady for organising the exhibitor & traders meal on Saturday night.

A great show with a great atmosphere and great hosts!

Absolutely top show, great mix of quality exhibits, good trade stands, well laid out and a wonderful friendly atmosphere. Well done Stan and all from Perth MRC. The help we got in loading our van on Sunday evening very much appreciated by an Alloa team 2 short of our optimum number. Thanks guys.

Echo above and only spoiled for me by losing my specs when packing up.

I know I know but they just 'vanished'.  

Third pair this year so maybe time for laser surgery as it will likely prove cheaper in the long term!

The guy that can produce a locator chip small enough to slip over the leg of a pair of specs will I suggest make a fortune..well for an initial period anyway!

On the layouts there was indeed some fantastic stuff on show with my personal favourite being Thornbury Hill.

Big thank you to the guys involved for their marathon trip north it was certainly appreciated.

The much vaunted Blair Atholl for me was I have to be honest a bit of a disappointment as not much happening reduced it to a fantastic diorama.

Checked it out several times and it was certainly true to the highland line as in service frequency.

It is of course very impressive in its depiction of the area and represents a huge amount of work but as a previous post also commented it would have been great to see some trains running.

Overall though a great show once again and a credit to the organisers.

Dave. 

Thoroughly enjoyed the truly excellent show, as I always do. All credit to Perth club for what really is a stand out example of how a model railway exhibition should be organised and run. The whole weekend was a pleasure, and the exhibitors' dinner on the Saturday night was fantastic. I am very much looking forward to next years show already!

Keg

• RMweb Premium

Yes was a good video. Caught the main parts of it well , although didn't get what to me was star of show Thornbury Hill. In the pictures of cups , who actually were the winners of the various categories?

• RMweb Premium

This is a good video of our show...

https://youtu.be/OMOhAqrET9E

What an excellent video! Absolutely conveyed the atmosphere and content of the weekend - nice touch with the still shots sequence at the end.

Congratulations Stan, on constructing a great event, topped off with the morning pipes! Glad that 29th Street Wharf was able to be a part of the occasion.

Edited by 70000 Britannia
  • Like 1

Really enjoyed the show and had a good time operating Laurencekirk with it's working signals and procession of trains, most of which passed straight through the station. This makes it all the more interesting when you are operating the fiddle yard and have to shuffle trains to create a space for them to return to.

As always did not have enough time to see everything in detail. I did enjoy meeting the guys operating Blair Atholl towards Drumochter and having missed it the first time it was at Perth was delighted to see it in al its glory. Especially when the odd 1980s diesel appeared! Special thanks to Ian McCreadie for all his efforts to publicise the show, he very sportingly did three media interviews for us and kindly produced and delivered his own leaflets and posters to publicise the show in the Blair Atholl and Pitlochry area. Much appreciated.

Only 360 sleeps until the 2018 show........

post-4700-0-37842900-1498662337_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Like 1

Yes was a good video. Caught the main parts of it well , although didn't get what to me was star of show Thornbury Hill. In the pictures of cups , who actually were the winners of the various categories?

Best in Show (The Harburn Hobbies Trophy) was won by Ian McCreadie (and Calum) with Blair Atholl Towards Drumochter

They also won the Greenscene/Ten Commandments Trophy for scenic or architectural modelling for the snow scene section of the layout.

The Jimmy Robertson Cup for technical excellence was won by the Thornbury Hill Owners Group with Thornbury Hill

The Robert Bruce Memorial Shield for scenic excellence was won by Stafford MRS withr their layout Whiteacres.

The general feedback we had was that there was some difficulty in judging due to the high nomber of quality exhibits. That is a good thing we think!

Can't believe its a week since the show closed and we started dismantling and packing up. A good show was had by all in the Glasgow and West of Scotland MRC with my layout - The Maxwell Colliery Loading Point. Thanks to Stan for the initial invite and and his team for a great show. Will be at Perth next year myself on the demo stand of Scottish Modellers. Max

Can't believe its a week since the show closed and we started dismantling and packing up. A good show was had by all in the Glasgow and West of Scotland MRC with my layout - The Maxwell Colliery Loading Point. Thanks to Stan for the initial invite and and his team for a great show. Will be at Perth next year myself on the demo stand of Scottish Modellers. Max

Hi Max,

Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for bringing your layout and looking forward to welcoming you back next year on the demo tables. 

Stan