The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Pedometer problem....

coachmann

I was instructed to do plenty of brisk walking back in 2010 after the triple heart bye-pass op, but it is only this week that I discovered I could buy something that would count my steps and measure distance walked. Other functions are irrelevant at the mo.

You young guys will know it is a Pedometer while you olde guys will think its for Pedo's... haha.

Question :- It has a USB lead to charge it. Do I plug this into my computer tower?  I ask because I was unaware a USB link was also a voltage charger.

Thank you in advance.

Larry G.

• RMweb Gold

I was instructed to do plenty of brisk walking back in 2010 after the triple heart bye-pass op, but it is only this week that I discovered I could buy something that would count my steps and measure distance walked. Other functions are irrelevant at the mo.

You young guys will know it is a Pedometer while you olde guys will think its for Pedo's... haha.

Question :- It has a USB lead to charge it. Do I plug this into my computer tower?  I ask because I was unaware a USB link was also a voltage charger.

Thank you in advance.

Larry G.

Many smartphones now have that step/distance functionality built in, Larry. Sherry regularly tells me proudly how far she has walked in a day, especially as most of the steps will have been aided by a stick. It is truly a good way to help with fitness.

The last time I went on a cycling holiday I shared a twin room with another chap and as soon as we got back to the hotel we would plug in a 12 way USB charger.

Phones, heart rate monitors, bike computers and lights. Plus various other devices as required, but the first mentioned were daily. USB chargers are now pretty well universal for small electronic devices.

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

Welcome to the millennium Larry!!

Depending on which 'pedometer' you have you may want to adjust your step length in the settings (if possible) my Fitbit charge certainly let me do it to get a more accurate reading, although when calibrated against my iPhone distance meter it was pretty much spot on anyway, I too was depressed when I thought my 2 mile walk only measured out to about a mile and a half in reality

I now use my Apple Watch to track my activity as that does heart rate too, its surprising just how far you walk in a day without thinking about it as the watch just records all the time, don't have to stop and start the recording sessions

I have just measured my usual morning brisk walk and it only comes to 1.3 miles (2,678 steps). :O I'm depressed! A pal does 9 - 11 miles running just to wear out his dog so it will sleep!

I have a battery-powered unit somewhere. Once strapped it to my horse's near-fore prior to a hack. The readings were quite interesting....

• RMweb Gold

A labourer who worked for a me a few years ago turned up wearing a Pedometer one day. We asked about it and apparently his wife said it was broken as it only recorded a max of 800 steps a day when she wore it, after a week on his ankle he showed her that there was nothing wrong and that it recorded 7-10,000 steps a day for him (ladders walking stuff on site etc) so she tried again and couldn't get it above 1000 a day....she threw it away claiming it was broken.

Mind you, didn't help that she was a lazy c*w that would get in the car to drive 300yds to the shop.

A labourer who worked for a me a few years ago turned up wearing a Pedometer one day. We asked about it and apparently his wife said it was broken as it only recorded a max of 800 steps a day when she wore it, after a week on his ankle he showed her that there was nothing wrong and that it recorded 7-10,000 steps a day for him (ladders walking stuff on site etc) so she tried again and couldn't get it above 1000 a day....she threw it away claiming it was broken.

Mind you, didn't help that she was a lazy c*w that would get in the car to drive 300yds to the shop.

If they had fitted the men of the 1960's during the 'dont let the bosses see you do that (work) otherwise we will all have to do it' period, they would have got some funny readings!

I have a battery-powered unit somewhere. Once strapped it to my horse's near-fore prior to a hack. The readings were quite interesting....

That gives me an idea. I get visited by the greyhound from next door. SWMBO feeds it. It has mad moments when it does about ten laps of the garden flat out in a figure of eight pattern. I will fit the device to the dog and then take the results to my GP and enquire as to my state of health.

Bernard

How many other members go fitness walkies for their health and how many miles do you do? I have been busy planning an extended route for tomorrow to increase mileage on the Pedometer. When I told her-indoors I would have it on in bed tonight, she said "On yer bike Popeye".  I'm measuring how well I sleep!

• RMweb Gold

How many other members go fitness walkies for their health and how many miles do you do? I have been busy planning an extended route for tomorrow to increase mileage on the Pedometer. When I told her-indoors I would have it on in bed tonight, she said "On yer bike Popeye".  I'm measuring how well I sleep!

Been to Mount Olive on your travels......  ;)

• RMweb Gold

Confirm with your doctor, but I don't think the number of miles matters Larry.  The important thing is to work hard enough to get your heart rate up and then sustain that for several minutes.  So walk faster and/or look for a route with some hills.

• RMweb Gold

I believe it is supposed to be 30mins a day, as Teaky says, don't be concerned about actual miles (consult a professional though).

There was a program on BBC last year called "The Doctor Who Gave Up Drugs" (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07wwd9d) who got some rather amazing results from patients with a variety of ailments including heart conditions and diabetes, convincing them to stop their medication and then getting them to walk 30mins a day, 5 times a week. It's shame it's not available on iPlayer anymore, but if you can find it anywhere, it's worth watching.

Thanks again. I seem to have been on the right track doing 30 minutes brisk walking almost every day.

I would agree you are getting it about right.

I do specific training for cycling but for basic training the idea is to raise the heart rate for at least twenty minutes as this is supposed to gain the greatest benefit for the least amount of work. 

Thirty minutes with a gradual warm up to get into a rhythm should achieve this.

Good luck with the programme and stick at it on a regular basis.

Bernard

Unless you are training for something, no need to be focussed on the distance. Though if you still suspect the results are wrong, there is a website called 'map my run' which can also be used to measurs walks. Anyone with a dog is going to be hard pressed to fail to exceed the minimum by a long way. And always ramp up the distance/effort gradually, give your body time to recover and respond. But you already knew that.

I would agree you are getting it about right.

I do specific training for cycling but for basic training the idea is to raise the heart rate for at least twenty minutes as this is supposed to gain the greatest benefit for the least amount of work. 

Thirty minutes with a gradual warm up to get into a rhythm should achieve this.

Good luck with the programme and stick at it on a regular basis.

Bernard

6½ years practice haha...  

I never wear jewelry and so am not used to having something strapped to my wrist. So I very nearly sprayed the new Pedometer with grey primer yesterday!  Forgot to wear it in bed last night, but  "What've you done with the bed on your side?" from the missus was enough to tell me it was a lousy sleep...

Confirm with your doctor, but I don't think the number of miles matters Larry.  The important thing is to work hard enough to get your heart rate up and then sustain that for several minutes.  So walk faster and/or look for a route with some hills.

I believe it is supposed to be 30mins a day, as Teaky says, don't be concerned about actual miles...

There's yet other medics currently pushing '10,000 steps' which is five miles in anyone's currency. I am in the regular brisk walks camp, and FWIW regarding pedometers if you have a 'fixed course' such as I use in poor weather (I'd rather walk in the woods but in wet weather it's just too boggy) it is very revealing to try the same device multiple times on the same course. Most cannot produce credibly repeatable results, 30% range not unusual!

I have lived long enough to see the results from 'mad exercisers' of my generation, whether jogging, gyming, squashing, marathoning, floopballing and so on. Hip, knee, ankle joint degenerations, and spinal problems, some needing joints replaced in their fifties. Just 'cause some can do these things all their lives doesn't mean everyone can without penalty. Mercedes is fine, build quality for the long haul at any speed required; while Morris was only really intended for occasional Sunday afternoon jaunts at low speeds in fine weather. Even more unfairly, some folks can lounge around, eat and drink what they like, and suffer no health deficit whatsoever! Best to look at your parents and earlier ancestors to gauge what deal in build quality you have in my opinion. The medics and exercise pushers are very reluctant to acknowledge that this natural variation exists...

Sleepwalking?

I leave that to my son and his son haha...  I'm just restless though I try to accumulate 8 hours sleep. A day outside spraying usually means too many walkies to the small room. When I told her indoors it was a Pedometer she thought it was a Pee'dometer...   :nea:

I leave that to my son and his son haha...  I'm just restless though I try to accumulate 8 hours sleep. A day outside spraying usually means too many walkies to the small room. When I told her indoors it was a Pedometer she thought it was a Pee'dometer...   :nea:

I had a re-bore some years ago and things are much better now.

To any body with this trait it is worth while getting your prostrate checked.

Bernard

Archived