DJM Dave

145 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in an N gauge King Class Crowdfunded model

• Yes i would be interested
    • Yes i would and more than 1
    • Yes i would and more than 2
    • No i wouldn't be interested

Dave,

Sadly I'm not an N gauge modeller so this doesn't work for me, but if this is a path to leveraging the considerable investment you have made in researching the King, I wish you very good luck.

No doubt there are lots of N gauge enthusiasts who would like a high-fidelity model of a King.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Premium

Someone, somewhere will notice. We have the option to get it right first time without skimping, and I must admit I'd rather do that unless others aren't fussed.

Nice to have an as close to accurate as possible loco though wouldn't it?

Cheers

Dave

Yes that's true Dave. Not wishing to take this off topic too far, but can you give us any kind of indication if the OO Gauge will definitely be proceeding and also where it will fit into your current list of models?

Cheers, Ryan

Yes that's true Dave. Not wishing to take this off topic too far, but can you give us any kind of indication if the OO Gauge will definitely be proceeding and also where it will fit into your current list of models?

Cheers, Ryan

Hi Ryan,

I've not given the OO version any thought whatsoever at the moment. Sorry.

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

Sadly I'm not an N gauge modeller so this doesn't work for me, but if this is a path to leveraging the considerable investment you have made in researching the King, I wish you very good luck.

No doubt there are lots of N gauge enthusiasts who would like a high-fidelity model of a King.

Thanks mate, it's appreciated.

Dave

so how does the N gauge King fit into the production schedule bearing in mind that the 71 has slipped back due to the "Chinese New Year" and will this have a domino effect  on other models

Hi,

It would, if it went ahead, fit in just fine.

Remember, this isn't a product announcement (my word, the frothing elsewhere by those that don't understand the premise), merely my asking modelers, bearing in mind the unique oportunity we all have to produce a model from high caliber cad/cams and research, if anyone is interested in a crowd funded model.

As for the production schedules? They always move about a bit. But I have the 17 schedule pretty much sorted at the moment with this 'gap' I can take advantage of, or lose.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

Just a quick question as I am not 100% on crowd funding and how they work in model raiwlay terms, what sort of schedule are we looking at for payment? Probably a bit early to ask this but is there any rough idea on cost as yet? Want to make sure if htis goes ahead I have money available for it/them (better ask for more overtime)

Hi Dave

Just a quick question as I am not 100% on crowd funding and how they work in model raiwlay terms, what sort of schedule are we looking at for payment? Probably a bit early to ask this but is there any rough idea on cost as yet? Want to make sure if htis goes ahead I have money available for it/them (better ask for more overtime)

Hi,

I've asked China for a quote, but in all honesty I think we are getting way ahead of ourselves here. First, do people want one?

Secondly, is the price workable, thirdly, announce the crowdfunding.

Also the message has to get through to those that don't understand, is that this project, should it go ahead, will not affect any other project on the go or under development, either in finance ( the king would, like the 92 and 71 have its own stand alone finance) production slots, or cad cam alterations.

My business plan is sound for all other main business ( not Crowdfunded) locomotives and models will appear as and when that separate main core business finance is available.

So I guess, at this early stage, I'm actually saying..... how long is a piece of string? Things will come clearer once press releases hit the magazines etc, and the crowd funding (if that goes ahead) starts.

One thing for sure I believe, is that we have a wonderful opportunity to get a fantastic N gauge model that can, providing you like steam loco's, and order the right one for you, run right up to the present day alongside 68's, 67's, 66's, etc.

Oh and for those still unsure, the motor will be body mounted, not tender, like the Farish new steam loco's.

In fact I've had a tender mounted coreless motor and body mounted coreless motor pair of A4 steam loco's running on test for the last 15 months to test gearing, placement, weight distribution etc and this has proved the concept for loco mounted coreless motors in DJM tender locomotives.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ryan,

I've not given the OO version any thought whatsoever at the moment. Sorry.

Cheers

Dave

A bit dismissive Dave. Don't the folk that ordered through Hattons deserve some sort of clarification? That thread appears closed down and I understand that Hattons have decided not to go ahead, However there do appear to be a number of people clinging on hoping for news . Is the OO version dead? You have also referred to it in the past tense in the aforementioned thread, along the lines of "this would've been" suggesting you've already dropped it in your mind.

I understand that Hattons have pulled the plug due to the competing product and that D J Models are no longer being paid to develop the model for them.  Therefore any order issues are between Hattons and their customers and don't involve D J Models.

The statement from Hattons states that DJM are to produce the OO gauge model, so Legend is quite within his rights to bring it up.

OO Gauge King Update
With the introduction of the Hornby King in 2015 and subsequent changes in the market, Hatton’s and DJ Models have made the decision to restructure the ongoing OO Gauge King project. 

The project will, from today, be managed by DJ Models who will continue development to ensure delivery of the ultimate King at a later date. 

Hatton’s will continue to honour existing pre-orders, as well as accepting new orders. The OO Gauge King will also be made available to purchase from other DJM stockists. Due to the financial climate and price increases in China the new RRP of these models will be announced once development has been finalised. No release date is currently available. 

For any further information on this project please see www.DJModels.co.uk or the modelling press. 

Edited by 9793
  • Like 1

If you read the posts about how D J Models is funded, their own range of models is self funded and is contingent on funds being generated by ongoing project sales.  There is a substantial number of planned, in CAD and in tooling models waiting to be funded this way stretching out for several years at least.  Any OO King would have to displace another model (an open invitation to a lynching) or it has to go to the back of the self "funding" queue.  

Dave has proposed a crowdfunded approach to allow some models to jump the funding queue, and this includes a possible N King.  He, at this stage has very wisely avoided going head to head with the existing OO King model and frankly if he did he would repeat the problem of going head to head with the N class 92 which is currently being crowdfunded.

While I can understand frustration on the part of those who pre-ordered a 00 King from Hattons, to be fair nobody has been asked for any money up front and as Hattons are no longer proceeding it is surely a matter for Dave/DJM when or maybe even if the 00 King proceeds. There is already a King in 00, the only one there has ever been in N was the truly dismal Farish effort made late in Poole days.

With Farish already soon to be delivering a Castle in N and Collett and Hawkesworth coaches already available I would think prioritising the N variant actually makes a lot of sense.

Roy

• Like 2

Crowdfunded names and numbers......

Available only in this livery and running number for crowdfunding and will not be duplicated for sale elsewhere!

6000 KG5  BR  Lined Green Early Crest (as preserved) with bell

6023 KE2   BR  Lined Blue Early Crest (as preserved)

6xxx           GWR Shirtbutton Green

6xxx           Great Western Lined Green (Great 'logo' Western)

6xxx           Livery and name open to consensus

Hi Dave,

I would imagine that BR Green with late crest would be a good seller as it is in the ever-popular "transition era". 6024 King Edward I might be a good choice as it wore this livery while in service and also in preservation.

gwrhj1878.jpg

800px-King_Edward_I_6024_Didcot_%284%29.

Having said that, I do rather like the experimental Ultramarine blue livery that a few Kings wore. Not sure how much demand there would be for it compared to the more common BR Blue. Do you know how popular the orders for this livery from Hattons for the 00 gauge version were?

post-5983-0-51218900-1409649016.jpg

• Like 1

i would be up for 2 in BR livery, I early crest, 1 late crest, but NOT as preserved as these have the cab roofs and safety bonnets lowered to enable them to run under the wires.

That is a good point Dave, since this is laser-scanned, does that mean the model will reflect the preserved condition with lowered cab/bonnet and double blastpipe chimney?

Not a deal-breaker as far as I am concerned but I was wondering how much flexibility there is to accommodate such detail differences in the tooling.

That is a good point Dave, since this is laser-scanned, does that mean the model will reflect the preserved condition with lowered cab/bonnet and double blastpipe chimney?Not a deal-breaker as far as I am concerned but I was wondering how much flexibility there is to accommodate such detail differences in the tooling.

Hi Matt,

Lots of areas for change, depending on costs from China,but alternate height cabs, chimneys, etc all built into OO version and it would be nice to do this with the proposed N gauge version.

However, I do not see 15 different models offered to crowdfunders, so this exercise is handy to gauge some opinion regarding livery, logo's etc.

So offering 2 as preserved gives us 3,or at a push 4, to play around with.

Cheers

Dave

The Hornby King in 00 looks great, except.....their horrible version of green! Years ago I had a Lima King in blue. I was hoping for the Hattons model for SOME green versions.

For nostalgic reasons I bought a blue Hornby TTS King when the price was reduced. (I have no need of sound or DCC) - but if these were produced in N I would buy 2 or 3 - I have some N gauge stock so would produce a N gauge layout to 'watch the trains go by' around part of my living room.

Nostalgia- I had a Lima one about 25 years ago....

Edit to add: I was hoping to buy 'a few' of the Hattons models - having purchased a 14xx/ variant tank it is superb and I would not hesitate to buy a few Kings to the same standard

Edited by sp1