Royal Navy Landing Craft -Train (LCT) and Landing Craft Infantry

Al.

With the handrails done LCT number 2 got a cost of black undercoat ahead of painting. Number 1 still needs its handrails.

post-23643-0-28244200-1487174394_thumb.jpeg

The Hurricat is nothing to do with the LSMs. It's another sideline I'm building for a CAM Ship.

Al.

That is an expensive-looking painting mat you are using. I came across this thread totally by accident, absolutely fascinating prototypes. I would love to know more. The sudden gradient changes visible in the photos are fairly significant!

That's the new work 'paint mat'. You should have seen the state of the old one. Well and truly battered and bruised.

The irony is real rolling stock is far more adapt at handling gradient changes then their miniatures copies. For me, half the enjoyment of making these two models had been the research.

Not a lot of progress to report. Both Landing Ships have been top coated and are ready for weathering. But I've hit a snag. I can't find any letraset transfers for the ship lettering. Years ago you could pick it up in most stationary and art shops, but now, no-one seems to stock it. And those that do don't have the right font or letter sizes.

So annoying....

Al.

• RMweb Premium

Not a lot of progress to report. Both Landing Ships have been top coated and are ready for weathering. But I've hit a snag. I can't find any letraset transfers for the ship lettering. Years ago you could pick it up in most stationary and art shops, but now, no-one seems to stock it. And those that do don't have the right font or letter sizes.

So annoying....

Al.

There's a shop in North Leeds called Dinsdales that's very good.  http://www.dinsdales.com/

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

I was recently looking for some Letraset for another project, and was surprised to find it is just not made any more. Other manufacturers, such as ChartPack have also given up making the stuff. Some part-used sheets can be found on eBay for silly prices.

When Letraset first came out, it made a lot of sign writers and copy writers redundant. It would appear that computers have now made Letraset redundant.

I did find a 'do it yourself' method, but it looks quite involved https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pvQ9nxxCIA

• RMweb Premium

So annoying....

Al.

If you require a colour other than white* it would be easier to print your own using Crafty Computer Paper. *White is not available on most home printers.

Now the question is is this a model in its own right or the shortest most detailed "shunting plank/micro layout" ever. A wonderful model I've enjoyed watching its progress well done, looking forward to the next update. Steve

Try Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Letraset-Lettering-Transfer-including-burnisher-x/dp/B005XL3IKA 

Ooops! replied to the wrong post - sorry - the link is to white rub-down lettering. Some good quality craft shops stock a small rage too.

I also had trouble getting Letraset several years ago. This was for marking a working model launch (1:25 scale, 28" long so needed quite big characters).  I finally found a back street stationers (now gone) that had a couple of  sheets with letters of the right size tucked away in a drawer. They were a Belgian make called DECAdry.  Another make to try?  Haven't seen them since  though and probably too large for 1:144 scale.

Another possibility is BECC accessories,  who do lettering and numbers for large scale (working) model boats/aircraft, in self adhesive vinyl,  they do go from 2mm to 25mm in a variety of colours and are a thin material. I've the larger sizes of these (and they are waterproof though that won't be a problem for you!!)  Don't know if they do transfers as well?

www.becc.co.uk

Also www.hannants.co.uk who have many pages of decals - but I expect you know about them.

Good luck with the search, your LCTs are very impressive!

• RMweb Premium

So annoying....

Al.

Hi

Have you tried Precision Decals? They may be able to create some waterslide transfers for you.

Cheers

Paul

I've been fascinated by seeing these vessels being modelled. After WW2, a large number were 'mothballed' in the event of them being required again, only being scrapped after the Suez debacle. One location where they were moored was the North Dock in Llanelli; a friend used to be taken to see them as part of her evening walk with her father.

• RMweb Gold

Although from WW1, I thought that you might like to see a batch of photos I came across, while looking for something else, as usual. Tucked away in a site about the history of Epsom & Ewell, was a section on the Railway Operating Division and the train ferries they used. Down at the bottom here is an IWM film* about the ferries and a link to a Michael Portillo documentary about railways at war. 

* This didn't link the first time, but did when I tried again a few minutes later.

http://www.epsomandewellhistoryexplorer.org.uk/ROD.html

• RMweb Gold

I knocked up some temporary markings today and fixed them in place along with the White Ensign. Now I'm onto weather again.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Al.

At least you got your white ensign the right way round, unlike the contractor bidding for work from the Royal Navy, seen in this presentation, linked from the Shrinking Royal Navy thread - fifth photo down - a sloppy cut & paste job - http://www.savetheroyalnavy.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/SPARTAN.pdf

Archived