Rolling Road - advice needed

Hi

During a recent house move, I have lost my rolling road :nono:

It consisted of two parallel Aluminium rods, central Steel rod with plastic moulded joiners - the cradles rested across the rods - anyone know this and can advise Supplier

Many Thanks - Graham Woodruff - GRW184

I have bought the N gauge (OO9) rolling road from Marion. I was impressed by the very high quality and precision of these units and use mine when at shows because it comes supplied in a lovely padded box. You do need a set of crocodile clips to transmit the power from your controller.

You can buy direct from her from: http://marion-zeller.de/index.php?language=en

For home use I have just invested in a Gaugemaster GMC-L1 but they are in very short supply as they are a limited edition. This one covers all gauges except for Z.

Not to derail the thread (I'm sure that hasn't been said before!), but why are rolling roads so expensive?

Looked on ebay at the Hornby ones and they're more than I thought.

Small market, accurately made?

Try DCC Concepts Rolling Road.  It caters for for 16.5mm or OO/HO track, they include in the pack full sets of spacers for 9mm/N/009/HOe, 12mm/TT, HOm, HO Narrow gauge. OO, HO and ON30… even EM and P4 users are not forgotten either, as they included a set of spacers that works for both!

I have used it for many years & all you do is place the rollers on any track (except for programming) anywhere on your layout.  It comes in sets for either 6 axles at £69.95 or 12 axles for £99.95.  Highly recommended.

Peter

I've used the DCC Concepts RR on the programming track without any issues. Using JMRI I've been able to "assembly line" programming of several locos at a sitting in a short time.

I agree.  I use the DCC Concepts Rolling Road for programming as well as testing locos without any problems.  Under my baseboard I use two DIN Plug outputs; one for running locos on the Rolling Road & the other for Programming.

Peter

Try DCC Concepts Rolling Road.  It caters for for 16.5mm or OO/HO track, they include in the pack full sets of spacers for 9mm/N/009/HOe, 12mm/TT, HOm, HO Narrow gauge. OO, HO and ON30… even EM and P4 users are not forgotten either, as they included a set of spacers that works for both!

In my opinion it is a good concept badly executed. I bought one because I had both N and EM models to test and all the gauge possibilities were the selling point. However, the ends will the bearings screw into the middle bits using something that looks remarkably like a small wood screw. This means that about the third time you change the gauge the screws no longer hold tightly and everything flops about. It really should have been designed with machine screws and captive nuts. It's really a better idea to get a dedicated rolling road for each gauge.

In my opinion it is a good concept badly executed. I bought one because I had both N and EM models to test and all the gauge possibilities were the selling point. However, the ends will the bearings screw into the middle bits using something that looks remarkably like a small wood screw. This means that about the third time you change the gauge the screws no longer hold tightly and everything flops about. It really should have been designed with machine screws and captive nuts. It's really a better idea to get a dedicated rolling road for each gauge.

Ah, I was not aware of that problem as I have only 00 gauge to deal with.  Yes, I agree that they should have been machine screws.

Peter

• RMweb Gold

That's where the Bachruss one scores highly as they slide on the black metal bar and are secured by grub screws using the supplied allen key. I bought the OO one and I've used it for 009 (using the outer wheelsets on an 0.6.0), HOm, OO, Om and O so it caters for 9mm to 32mm happily.

If you can find one the discontinued Gaugemaster LT is a great piece of kit.

They are much sought after and command 2nd hand prices higher than their retail so makes you ask why did they discontinue production?

No wires or connections just plonk the loco on and plug it in and a current readout which is handy for visually checking any tightness.

Aux output to supply track as a conventional controller too so can also be a primary controller for a small layout.

post-2371-0-01929300-1486952571.jpeg

Dave.

That's where the Bachruss one scores highly as they slide on the black metal bar and are secured by grub screws using the supplied allen key. I bought the OO one and I've used it for 009 .

I bought mine years ago I didn't have or have lost the Allen key...can any one tell me what size it is ? As I have a screw lose! And none of the many keys I have fit

If you can find one the discontinued Gaugemaster LT is a great piece of kit.

They are much sought after and command 2nd hand prices higher than their retail so makes you ask why did they discontinue production?

No wires or connections just plonk the loco on and plug it in and a current readout which is handy for visually checking any tightness.

Aux output to supply track as a conventional controller too so can also be a primary controller for a small layout.

attachicon.gifIMG_5493-1.jpeg you can buy them new again at gaugemaster or hattons.co.uk. I just bought one and converted it to use dcc as well

Dave.

You can buy the gaugemaster LT controller/ rolling road new again, it now comes with dccconcepts rolling road. I just bought one and converted it to use dcc as well

I've just seen this advertised in the Hornby Mag which is great news.

Its an expensive piece of kit but well worth the extra imo.

Well built and likely to last a very long time ..Ive forgotten how old mine is but good to know that if it does fail I can now replace it.

Dave.

Archived