Are These Old Wheels?

Reorte

• RMweb Premium

On of the more charming aspects of my house is that it overlooks a scrapyard. I've never seen much in it that I thought was particularly interesting until I noticed the things pictured below, which look rather like steam locomotive wheels to me. I was wondering if they are and what they could be from, if it's even possible to tell from that picture. Unfortunately I can't get close enough to even remotely estimate the size.

post-22093-0-03089200-1486290458_thumb.jpg

Can you see if the wheelsets have outside cranks?  If they have they are, more than likely, off an 08.  I can see a balance weight so they are driving wheels rather than from a tender.  Whereabouts are you in case, by some outside chance they are any of the missing/stolen parts from 42859 at Binfield.

Ray.

• RMweb Premium

What is the name of the scrapyard/company that runs it? Is it or has it been rail-connected?

That could land me in trouble! (yeah, call me a wimp!)

Never been rail connected, no sign of anything else that looks rail-related in it that I can see.

Knowing exactly where it is and what the company is could help to find out what the wheels are from. The Industrial Railway Society records the disposal (where known) of locos, so if the name of the place is known it could be looked up to see if any locos are known to have been scrapped there.

I can't think how naming a scrapyard can land anyone in trouble. It's not as if it's a secret MOD site or anything.

• RMweb Premium

Knowing exactly where it is and what the company is could help to find out what the wheels are from. The Industrial Railway Society records the disposal (where known) of locos, so if the name of the place is known it could be looked up to see if any locos are known to have been scrapped there.

I can't think how naming a scrapyard can land anyone in trouble. It's not as if it's a secret MOD site or anything.

I was thinking of the suggestions upthread that there might be something dodgy going on and since I live right next to it that could make my life rather awkward, got me a bit paranoid (I'd be happy to PM details though). I don't think it's been a scrapyard for all that long, and mostly it just seems to have stuff dumped in it rather than broken up. It's awkward to get to too, getting any sort of intact loco there to be scrapped would be tricky.

PM if you want to but I haven't neccessarily got the books to be able to look it up. If there is something dodgy then they need to have their collars felt and what are the chances that they're going to be reading this anyway?

• RMweb Gold

Can you see if the wheelsets have outside cranks?  If they have they are, more than likely, off an 08.  I can see a balance weight so they are driving wheels rather than from a tender.  Whereabouts are you in case, by some outside chance they are any of the missing/stolen parts from 42859 at Binfield.

Ray.

According to Wikipedia, the wheels of this loco (Binbrook not Binfield btw) were recovered shortly after going missing and have been returned to the site by court order.  They and other parts were apparently 'illegally removed' as opposed to being stolen; don't ask me what the difference is.

• RMweb Gold

According to Wikipedia, the wheels of this loco (Binbrook not Binfield btw) were recovered shortly after going missing and have been returned to the site by court order.  They and other parts were apparently 'illegally removed' as opposed to being stolen; don't ask me what the difference is.

I assume ...

In one case a party(ies) thought they had some claim to ownership but the court disagreed, whereas in the other it was purely for gain.

• RMweb Gold

I am told another definition of theft is an intention to 'permanently deprive' the rightful owner of his goods or chattels; hence the common scroat's excuse in magistrate's court that 'I was only borrowing it, guv'.

Looking at the photo it looks like I can see the rims off seven wheels with a very small part of the eighth in the background. If that is the case and looking at the shape of the wheels these could be off a 8F.

How about posting a grid reff. so we could have a look at the scrap yard from the air on Google maps.

OzzyO. 

The wheels look very light weight to be loco driving wheels to me. Could they just be wagon wheels, and the apparent balance weight just some random piece of scrap in the right place to look like a balance weight?

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the photo it looks like I can see the rims off seven wheels with a very small part of the eighth in the background. If that is the case and looking at the shape of the wheels these could be off a 8F.

How about posting a grid reff. so we could have a look at the scrap yard from the air on Google maps.

What, and tell everyone where I live? :) Now I am sounding paranoid! Can't see much on Google aerial views.

Even if they are wagon wheels (jammy ones, not plain) when were spoked wheels last used on BR (or otherwise) wagons?

I remember seeing a internal user with spoked wheels being cut up in the late 1990's.

Archived